Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Error messages already??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:49 PM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by j080808
Built in is a nice route, where will you mount the unit itself, next to the mirror?
Two things...

1) The unit is placed under the bumper. You only see only the mirror and a small controller placed inside the cab.

2) I hadn't a code pull up for 3 days. I plugged my radar detector into the 12V power supply last night and today on the way home from work, I got the light on again.

I'm going to leave the detector unplugged and see if it changes. I can't understand why it would have any correlation between being plugged in but what do I know.

Mark

Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 PM
CURVN8R is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Good news and bad news...

The good news is my light hasn't come on in 2 days.

The bad news is I'm an idiot. I didn't see the problem until I wired my radar detector to the fuse panel. I chose power from a fuse like the passenger heat seater figuring it wouldn't be used much.

When I took it to the dealership, they moved the power supply to a different unused fuse.

It still didn't make a difference, I was still getting the error light.

I unplugged the radar detector for the last 2 days and haven't seen the light. I know Porsches are sensitive to voltage loads/spikes, etc, etc but damn....

Anyway, no radar detector no lights.

I'll find somewhere else to plug it in.

Mark
Guess you could wire it directly to the battery. I have a 9500ix and it has an inline fuse anyway. (I didn't do this - I wired mine to fuse for the rear view mirror). On my last 987, I did wire a couple of accessories to directly to the battery with no problem.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
The electrical systems on all these new cars are so connected that wiring in extra things not required or included by the manufacturer can easily cause gremlins. Most problems I've seen have been after someone decides to wire something in or changes out lights or other factory installed items.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:20 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by denversteve
The electrical systems on all these new cars are so connected that wiring in extra things not required or included by the manufacturer can easily cause gremlins. Most problems I've seen have been after someone decides to wire something in or changes out lights or other factory installed items.
I agree, that's why I removed the hardwire and used the cigarette lighter adapter.

I'm going to drive for a week without it completely and see what happens.

Mark

Old 08-30-2012, 04:41 AM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by denversteve
the term is OOF......owner occurred faultit gave birth to anti tamper bolts

Old 08-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Got the car fixed.... I've left the radar detector unplugged for the last couple of days and no light...

That was until today when I was on my way to the dealership because I couldn't get the trunk lid open. (needed adjustment- though I own a body shop, I thought it was an electrical problem because the trunk opened fine EVERY time UNLESS you used the key fob to lock the car. Weird)

Anyway, as I was pulling into the dealership, I received the fault light for the parking brake again.

Make a long story short, apparently a potentiometer came loose and became unmounted therefore giving the computer wrong readings for the clutch travel (what that has to do with the parking brake is beyond me)

Bottom line, it's fixed which makes me happy. All the techs at my local Porsche dealer are top notch. Very helpful, willing to talk to you and VERY knowledgeable. I've been in the automotive business for 30 years and know when techs are idiots and when they're not. These guys are the shiet and my SA is second to none.

Mark