Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Boxster Order - Opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Connecticut_Roy is infamous around these parts
New Boxster Order - Opinions wanted

I am close to pulling the trigger on a new Boxster. Before I do, I am interested in hearing some opinions on a few options.

What I know - Boxster S, 6 speed, PVT, no NAV, no BOSE, no PCM

Options to consider:

- 19 vs 20 inch wheels
- Sport Suspension vs PASM vs standard
- Sport Crono vs standard

Any other performance or comfort features you would suggest?

What have you ordered? What do you like or dislike?

My driving style is more aggressive than passive. I tend to drive 10,000 - 12,000 per year (not a daily driver). It will see 3 or 4 track days per year. Car needs to be comfortable for 2 long distance trips per year of 2000 plus miles.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 PM
sjflannery is infamous around these parts
Hey Roy. Pull the trigger, you won't regret it. I have the 981S (6 speed) and it's pretty much loaded. I previously owned an 05 Boxster S and an 06 Cayman S. I have 20's on it and it handles better then the predecessors. I would go with the PASM because or your track interests, although I very rarely use it, and although all 3 of my Porsches had the Sport Chrono, I never used it, so I wouldn't spend anything on that. Sounds like you are steering away some of the softer amenities, like Nav and PCM. I have personally enjoyed what they have to offer. I commute out of state during the week, but I live in the 981 when I am home on weekends. Good luck.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:27 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Sounds fun!

IMO you want sport Chrono over PTV. PTV won't kick in unless u are at the very limits, now if you plan to track it a lot then it might be an option to get.

I think the 20 inch wheels set the car apart, I got mine in black, but to each his own.

For the money, I would ditch PTV and get PASm as it also lowers the car and improves the look as well as gives you a firm and soft option for track vs highway cruising.

Mine will be a daily driver also, so I got the Bose, red belts, all the above, PDk because I have an RS with manual, PTS Riv Blue, sport design steering wheel, deviated grey stictch n black seats, heated and vented seats, 14 way seat package, PASm and sport Chrono.

Originally Posted by Connecticut_Roy
I am close to pulling the trigger on a new Boxster. Before I do, I am interested in hearing some opinions on a few options.

What I know - Boxster S, 6 speed, PVT, no NAV, no BOSE, no PCM

Options to consider:

- 19 vs 20 inch wheels
- Sport Suspension vs PASM vs standard
- Sport Crono vs standard

Any other performance or comfort features you would suggest?

What have you ordered? What do you like or dislike?

My driving style is more aggressive than passive. I tend to drive 10,000 - 12,000 per year (not a daily driver). It will see 3 or 4 track days per year. Car needs to be comfortable for 2 long distance trips per year of 2000 plus miles.

Last edited by TurboDogue; 09-18-2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-18-2012, 06:29 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Great looking car

Low that car all blacked out!

Originally Posted by sjflannery
Hey Roy. Pull the trigger, you won't regret it. I have the 981S (6 speed) and it's pretty much loaded. I previously owned an 05 Boxster S and an 06 Cayman S. I have 20's on it and it handles better then the predecessors. I would go with the PASM because or your track interests, although I very rarely use it, and although all 3 of my Porsches had the Sport Chrono, I never used it, so I wouldn't spend anything on that. Sounds like you are steering away some of the softer amenities, like Nav and PCM. I have personally enjoyed what they have to offer. I commute out of state during the week, but I live in the 981 when I am home on weekends. Good luck.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
When it comes to the performance options (PASM, PTV and SC), there are some things to consider:

PASM is the one that will be most noticable on normal roads. It gives more comfort in normal mode as well as better handling in sport mode. It's the best of two worlds.

Sport Crono makes more sense on a PDK car, but that doesn't mean it's useless on a MT. You'll get the dynamic transmission mounts, which adds both comfort and handling. You also get the pretty cool G-force meter as well as the dashboard clock. The "Sport Plus" button gives you even quicker throttle response than the "Sport" button on the standard 981. Not a whole lot of difference, but anyway...

PTV is a very cool thing, but it's the one you will only notice when you're close to the limit on a track. For "normal" driving it will be totally unnecessary.

So I would consider those options in the order I listed them above. PASM first and then in descending order.

When comparing PASM with the new Sport Suspension, you should consider how the suspension stiffness varies with the different options.
From softer to stiffer:

- PASM in normal mode
- Standard suspension
- PASM in sport mode
- Sport Suspension

As you can see, PASM will get you both a softer and stiffer car, depending on the setting. It will also adjust itself depending on road conditions and your driving style.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Thanks guys...just what I was looking for, a little real world experience with the various options. So here is where I am at:

Exterior - Yellow or White, painted roll bar and ait intake, model designation delete
Wheels - 19 or 20, Black or alloy
Interior - Black - partial leather with leather package, premium package, vented seats, smoking package
Performance - PASM - yes, Sport Crono - maybe, PTV - maybe not.

Did I miss anything?

Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 AM
I think youre spot on! I also painted the roll bars and have seen that and it really sets the car off nicely. I did not do the paint on the air intake as I think th eblack air intake adds to the styling and visual cues to the car, just IMO. Have seen a yellow box s with the alloy wheels and looked awesome. Also saw a white with alloy and a white with black wheels and think the white with black wheels was really sharp and made the car look more masculine, again IMO. Can't go wrong, but the white is timeless if you plan to keep it for a long time. The yellow is an attention getter though and really is an improvement over the past yellows, much better color. Good luck you will love the car. I drove one at a track event and it's a real fun car to drive.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
One option I'm really happy with is the BOSE system. I had it on the 987, wasn't very impressed and nearly skipped it on the 981.
I'm glad I didn't, they have really improved it. Definately worth the money.

The thing I regret not getting is rear parking sensors. Rear visiblity is worse in the 981 than in the 987... I guess I just have to be careful...

Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 AM
I am leaning more toward the white as it is more classic. As much as I love the yellow, very much an attention getter, I just wonder if I will get tired of the color. After painting, the air intake is still mostly black. The paint is just on the outer edge and the front of the horizontal fin. I have only seen it in person on a red vehicle and it looked awesome. I have BOSE in my Audi and it is awesome. Might be a consideration. I need to order quick...my build price keeps creeping up...lol.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Funny, yeah. But good to get info and get the right stuff. Your car will be cool. Hope you enjoy and post pics when you get it. When's it due in? Mne just got moved up to November. Ad for what it's worth, I have an orange car and I never get tired of it, but mainly because I never see many. Yellow and seeing it often I might not feel the same and agree white is classic porsche.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 AM
the_vetman has a spectacular aura aboutthe_vetman has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TurboDogue
The yellow is an attention getter though and really is an improvement over the past yellows, much better color.
I respectfully disagree. Speed Yellow was a much better color than Racing Yellow. I've seen side-by-side pics at concours... and there was no comparison. IMO only, of course.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Connecticut_Roy
I am leaning more toward the white as it is more classic. As much as I love the yellow, very much an attention getter, I just wonder if I will get tired of the color. After painting, the air intake is still mostly black. The paint is just on the outer edge and the front of the horizontal fin. I have only seen it in person on a red vehicle and it looked awesome. I have BOSE in my Audi and it is awesome. Might be a consideration. I need to order quick...my build price keeps creeping up...lol.
If you're considering white, you can take a look at my pics for inspiration:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3563363

My car is Carrara White, if you order now you'll get the new Pure White. It's slightly more "blueish" and "colder" than the Carrara White, but unless the cars are standing next to each other, you can't tell the difference...

Old 09-18-2012, 04:25 PM
qhb
qhb is infamous around these parts
If you're considering yellow with 19-in then take a look at my car for idea at the link below

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...hotoshoot.html

1) Don't care much for SC on a 6MT.
2) Take PASM since you want to be comfortable on long trips with occasional track days.
3) PTV - nice to have but you won't miss it much as the car is just too balance.
4) Get the Sport Design steering wheel. It's very nice and if you do it after the fact it will cost you about $1K extra.

Last edited by qhb; 09-18-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Ok, this yellow is gorgeous IMO. Less mustard than the Speed Yellow. Just my opinion.