Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2012 Cayman TPC turbo R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM
StockKiller is infamous around these parts
My 2012 Cayman TPC turbo R

there's a good chance i might be selling my car...
im not happy with the results and tpc on all accounts will deny any wrong doing..
the other party involved will place blame on tpc. its a perfect situation..
nobody's at fault except me... its beautiful..

i have a brand new 2012 white pdk with 6k... sticker was $85k 92 out the door..
i have reciepts for $40k in upgrades.. i put in the sport buckets myself...
just like alex and a few others.. my car has issues.. can they be fixed.. probably yes.. but im over it.. and im not putting any more money into it..
im going after a cts v or an m5.. for a daily driver.. i need the trunk space and this car is and odd man out in my series of vehicles...

tpc upgrades are the turbo and stage 3 suspension..
if you are in the market for a project like this.. have done all your due diligence and research think about...
im not gonna give this car away... im in no hurry to dump it..
is what it is.. remember, i have an RS as a back up..

im really pi s s ed off about the whole situation...

Old 11-30-2012, 06:18 PM
cpturbo is infamous around these parts
I'm really sorry this happened to you. I am not at all surprised. I say sell that turbo and sell the car NA. I just don't know if someone is going to pony up for your car plus upgrades. I don't trust TPC. That's why I never entertained this mod. You will get more by doing the above.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:58 AM
tkracing is infamous around these parts
I am sorry to hear of your troubles. I will say if you pick up the cts-v you will forget about your Cayman R woes and won't be disappointed. So far my favorite car I ever owned. It comes stock around 556hp and with a couple thousand in upgrades (yes only 3k not 40k) and its up to close to 700.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tkracing
I am sorry to hear of your troubles. I will say if you pick up the cts-v you will forget about your Cayman R woes and won't be disappointed. So far my favorite car I ever owned. It comes stock around 556hp and with a couple thousand in upgrades (yes only 3k not 40k) and its up to close to 700.

Good luck.
It's a big hit or miss in terms of styling. Can't say that I am a fan of CTS. Big numbers though.

OP, can you elaborate on "I am not happy with the results?" Under-performance I assume?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
that's a real bummer to hear;( Personally I love the Cayman R... this is one we did. I like the NA engine and would leave it that way. If it's a 6.. I'd do the LWF, plenum/TB, software, exhaust as far as power... Here's an example.
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/987-ca...-flywheel.html

They are a vendor on the board so you might want to contact them to see if they can't fix it somehow.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Enilder
It's a big hit or miss in terms of styling. Can't say that I am a fan of CTS. Big numbers though.

OP, can you elaborate on "I am not happy with the results?" Under-performance I assume?
My car went in to tpc roughly at end of may.. For their turbo.. Which failed by the way... Burnt up..
I got it back first week of August ...
Drove it for two weeks then went to Sebring and it has lived on a lift at my dealership ever since... I've had it for two Track days since repair only to have failed at both events for more repair...
To this day, I still don't have possession of my car... just for fun.. Do the math on down time...
And now it's all about software issues and whatever comes next in this nightmare...
Have I opened up yet and really started discussing it, pubically...nope ...
Have I voiced my opinion and really started in on what I thought I bought..
Do I feel like I was lied too or was this product mis represented?
It's funny when people say its all about the installers..
Did tpc fu...ck up my car?
If I was a potential customer.... What would I be looking for in a mod like this...
I will let the board and future customers of this product and company answer that question for themselves.. I guess it always is buyers beware...
But I do feel like I was lied too and now. I'm screwed..
My car will never be the same without throwing more money into the project...
Planet 9 has a lot of post about TPCs customers...
Between me, Alex and Hassen... And other silent parties out there draw your own conclusions...
A pdk tpc turbo is not Track certified... Not by my car...and it's a been a monster waste of money and time...

Old 12-03-2012, 07:12 PM
blown996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by StockKiller
My car went in to tpc roughly at end of may.. For their turbo.. Which failed by the way... Burnt up..
Drove it for two weeks then went to Sebring and it has lived on a lift at my dealership ever since... I've had it for two Track days since repair only to have failed at both events for more repair...
To this day, I still don't have possession of my car... just for fun.. Do the math on down time...
And now it's all about software issues and whatever comes next in this nightmare...
If I was a potential customer.... What would I be looking for in a mod like this...
I will let the board and future customers of this product and company answer that question for themselves.. I guess it always is buyers beware...
Between me, Alex and Hassen... And other silent parties out there draw your own conclusions...
A pdk tpc turbo is not Track certified... Not by my car...and it's a been a monster waste of money and time...
My experience unfortunately has been similar to yours....

Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by blown996
My experience unfortunately has been similar to yours....
What did u have done to your car?
What car do u have?

Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 PM
rflavell is infamous around these parts
I'm truly sorry to hear of your problems. I had considered this mod myself. I had presumed the problem was with the pdk but apprently the turbo itself was also problematic?

Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 PM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cpturbo
I'm really sorry this happened to you. I am not at all surprised. I say sell that turbo and sell the car NA. I just don't know if someone is going to pony up for your car plus upgrades. I don't trust TPC. That's why I never entertained this mod. You will get more by doing the above.

I completely agree with this statement. You have a MUCH better chance putting it back to stock ('ish) and selling off the turbo.

First you'll recoup "some" of your money from the stuff you sell.

Second, by putting back to stock as close as possible, you have a much larger audience to sell to.

Last but not least, by putting it back to stock, you may find the joy that has been lost with all your wasted time and money.

No doubt that the money you spend putting it back to stock (as close as possible engine-wise) will still be less than the loss you're going to end up taking selling it like it is. (I realize you're not going to give it away but not only are you going to have to take some loss, do you really want to sell a car to someone with problems?)

My .02 worth....

Good luck either way.

Mark

Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 PM
TTZ06 is infamous around these parts
Damn man sorry to hear about all of your issues with them. Think you can trust someone and once they see dollar signs everything changes. It's a shame that so many people/shops end up like this instead of doing things the right way and standing up for your work in the good or bad. Definitely keep us updated on everything that's going on with the rides and hope things get better for ya. Btw as far as the CTSV is concerned, if u do decide to pick one up I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it as a DD. They are great cars that can be easily/cheaply modded and are extremely comfortable with the recaros on a daily basis. Good luck with everything.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Even with the best kit and installers there needs to be an understanding that the car is being transformed. I eventually sold off my heavily modified cars for reasons my own. But it seems like you have been dealt a particular bad hand from the aftermarket forced induction bug. Usually it starts with extra fluids being burned and overall need to baby the car. Hope you can demod and get the M5.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I know Planet 9 has a huge crew (in fact, it has a dedicated TPC subforum on top of the page). I didn't bother digging up how unhappy other customers may be but for someone like myself who is "local" to them, this is disappointing. Parting out the kit and selling the car appears to be the best option (although, I can't comment on the labor associated with uninstalling the product...)

Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 AM
tkracing is infamous around these parts
What's the hit or miss in your opinion? To me the car is very stylish and get lots of compliments on the V. As a DD it has been my favorite hands down.

Stock... I saw they must of deleted your post on the other forum. Whats up with that? Correction: It's back but locked now.

Originally Posted by Enilder

Last edited by tkracing; 12-04-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Is there no forms of litigation you can pursue because the product doesn't work as advertised?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 2012 Cayman TPC turbo R