Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Massive Power Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 AM
e.ward is infamous around these parts
Boxster Massive Power Upgrade

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what the possibilities are for power upgrades on the 987. I absolutely adore the 987, I like it more than the 911 but I also love the GT3 RS 4.0's engine and power. What can be done to the 987 to get it to the absolute maximum NA power. I've done alot of research into 911 engine swaps, race built closed deck bored/stroked blocks, power upgrade kits etc but I need some feedback and opinions as well as information.

Again I know people will say "save your money and get a 911" but this is about me liking the boxster so yh. I'm ready to spend quite alot on this guys, not to a money no object point but quite alot.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:11 PM
SpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to behold
I think you are going to be looking at a motor swap - either doing a high-power 911 motor or maybe one of the V8 swaps. http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 PM
I don't want to do any V8 swaps or any other engines which aren't Porsche. It has to be a Porsche flat-6. The 3.4 in the Boxster S has shown good power. These cars lose alot less to the drivetrain than other cars but I was thinking more like the 500hp GT3 RS 4.0. It really would be a perfect car but it seems engine swaps from the 911 are difficult and need fabrication. The cost doesn't concern me but having to fabricate and find a good shop to do it is a really big problems.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:53 AM
jwade is infamous around these parts
TPC Turbo system.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 AM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
If you are set on engine swap... there are shops that will do it. There are actually a few videos on youtube of those swaps also. They are not easy, nor cheap... but done right-right, you get exactly factory reliability and serviceability. Used engines are min $10k to start, + wiring harness, +programming, + custom motor mounts, + R&R labor, plus, plus.

You can do basic bolt-on's with race headers/cats, competition plenum/GT3 TB, ECU tune and that will get you to the output of a 997.1 3.6 engine. I recently dyno'ed my '08 Boxster S with those mods... @ 297whp/279ft-lbs. Of course, once the 997 adds similar mods, all bets are off. Then again, the 997 guys are top dawgs only until the other guys show up with GT3RS, TT and GT2RS'es.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by lithium1330
If you are set on engine swap... there are shops that will do it. There are actually a few videos on youtube of those swaps also. They are not easy, nor cheap... but done right-right, you get exactly factory reliability and serviceability. Used engines are min $10k to start, + wiring harness, +programming, + custom motor mounts, + R&R labor, plus, plus.

You can do basic bolt-on's with race headers/cats, competition plenum/GT3 TB, ECU tune and that will get you to the output of a 997.1 3.6 engine. I recently dyno'ed my '08 Boxster S with those mods... @ 297whp/279ft-lbs. Of course, once the 997 adds similar mods, all bets are off. Then again, the 997 guys are top dawgs only until the other guys show up with GT3RS, TT and GT2RS'es.
The fabrication and custom work is what I'm worried about. once cutting and welding start problems can come up but again I'm determined to have a fast Boxster. I can work out all the wiring and programming kinks but I need to know what is involved in actually putting the motor in.

Originally Posted by jwade
TPC Turbo system.
I need it to be NA.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:52 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
If you're planning to make this a DIY...then, yes... custom fab may be more a time consuming.. but you can def find shops (FVD and RUF) that have done it before.... they have the lesson learned.

From what I've read thus far on these swaps... the custom fab is around the motor mounts, b/c the 3.8 is taller than 3.4 and will require the mounts lowered to accommodate the taller engine. here are two threads around swaps...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-radiator.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...6-boxster.html

This is a good video showing how a 3.6 Boxster runs with a 3.8 997 @ Sebring... def fun!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE=e.ward;3799467]Hey guys, I'm just wondering what the possibilities are for power upgrades on the 987. I absolutely adore the 987, I like it more than the 911 but I also love the GT3 RS 4.0's engine and power. What can be done to the 987 to get it to the absolute maximum NA power. I've done alot of research into 911 engine swaps, race built closed deck bored/stroked blocks, power upgrade kits etc but I need some feedback and opinions as well as information.

The best way is to rebuild the engine with bigger & stronger cylinder sleeves & pistons. This will give you 3.6L. While the engine is apart you can install a 997 crank to increase stroke & give you 3.8L. Proper head work to match the engine size & reflash the DME. lnengineering.com installs the sleeves & has many upgrade parts.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:15 PM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
If you want 400-500whp n/a, go with an LS3/LS7 swap. It will be much cheaper than staying with a flat 6 and you will make more torque.

The engine can't be seen in a 987 and you can do whatever you want with the exhaust to tone it down or make it scream. Sound would be the only give away that there is more lurking under the engine cover.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:26 PM
SpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to beholdSpeedwareMotorsports is a splendid one to behold
You can look at the v8 swap that White Out did with his car here as well - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...1-content.html

As cool as a Boxster with the 4.0 GT3 motor would be, I think the costs involved make it silly to go that route instead of doing a tried-and-true LS swap.