Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Cayman S; I want 400WHP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Cayman_S_Wicked is infamous around these parts
2008 Cayman S; I want 400WHP

Is it possible to achieve 400 WHP with just bolt on solutions? My car is pretty much stock Cayman S with Sport Chrono.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM
So far the car is stock other than the 19in wheels. I do have the 18 in Cayman S wheels available with brand new sumitomo HTR ZIII Max Performance tires on them. If interested send me a message.

Really curious to what members have done to their cars to increase horsepower from bolt on parts.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:02 PM
the_vetman has a spectacular aura aboutthe_vetman has a spectacular aura about
There is simply no way to get 400 whp with bolt on mods, unless you're talking about TPC turbo.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 PM
What is the most that we would be able to get out of this car with Exhaust, Intake, ECU flash or remap?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Cayman_S_Wicked
What is the most that we would be able to get out of this car with Exhaust, Intake, ECU flash or remap?
The max you'll be able to get is about 350 bhp (from 2008's 295 bhp) with exhaust, GT3 TB, IPD competition plenum, UD pulley, EVO V-flow, ECU remap, etc. So, approx. 305-315 whp if you're lucky.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Is the cost of doing this vs. TPC turbo comparable? Or do you have to do this in addition to the TPC?

Last edited by Cayman_S_Wicked; 03-25-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Depends on how you source the bolt on parts, but TPC turbo will be at least twice more expensive. $10,000 plus install. Stage 2 is additional $5,000. At least these used to be the prices. Some have had trouble with their turbos.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the input.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 PM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
The only way to get to 400 whp is starting with a turbo. The TPC kit is complete and not compatible with the previously mentioned bolt-ons so price them out and compare the dollars and the hp to see that the turbo is a much better bang for the buck. Out of the 300 kits sold, there have been a couple of problems with the install, a tired engine, or a tune not working with the car.

I sent my car to TPC 5 years ago for the install and would do it again without hesitation.

Attached Files
Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
Those are very impressive numbers with the turbo. What other mods if any do you have?

Have you thought about trying to find a good high mileage 911 engine and stroking it? Or is that even possible with the Cayman?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by TAch Miami
price them out and compare the dollars and the hp to see that the turbo is a much better bang for the buck.
I agree that it's the best bang for the buck out there.

If someone wants to significantly increase the hp of their 987, TPC turbo is the best bang for the buck and a real meaningful increase.

Last edited by the_vetman; 03-25-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kendall993
Those are very impressive numbers with the turbo. What other mods if any do you have?

Have you thought about trying to find a good high mileage 911 engine and stroking it? Or is that even possible with the Cayman?
Those numbers were from TPC’s piggy-back ECU kit controlling two injectors in the plenum which might still be available. The current version, which I now have, uses a reflashed ECU capable of being modified to different maps and added components. I have their intercooler, and added Fabspeed catless headers, and a boost controller. On a Mustang I did 390 whp.

TPC did a M97 stroker and a 3.8 transplant and the 3.4 turbo was quicker and cheaper. The TPC power curve is smooth and consistent. If more power is needed I would use LN to resleeve the case to a 3.7 or larger without needing a new crank.

I’m going to this Cars and Coffee event in Dania. I’ll give you a ride in my car to see if that’s enough hp for you.

https://www.facebook.com/events/132798076902489/

Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Do not want to change the engine as I have a nice low mileage car, but I would love the extra HP and low end torque. If I am around would love to meet down in Dania.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Oh, still have the 18" Cayman S wheels with the Sumitomo tires available if you know anyone who may want the OEM wheels. They are in perfect shape and tires have less than couple hundred miles on them.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 PM
TPC is running a sale on their turbo...tomorrow (Friday) is the last day. The details are on Planet-9. If you call them you might get a bit more time to decide.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 Cayman S; I want 400WHP