Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underdrive pulley question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM
tuner1984 is infamous around these parts
Underdrive pulley question

I just purchased a new set of BBI pullies from Vivid Racing:

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/2...-p-112437.html

I did my research and see that BBIs had an issue with cracking due to their light weight and material they were built from.

Can anybody confirm or deny that the pullies i bought are the updated ones that should be stronger or if they are the same type of pulley that people are having issues with.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
I have no first hand experience with BBI UDP... but have seen a number of pictures from other owners with cracked, broken, fractured UDP. I think consensus is that pursuit of a lightweight design (lots of holes/spaces) was the cause - there just isn't enough metal to keep the thing from fracturing and eventually breaking into pieces.

The picture/link you have looks like the ones I've seen on the web with the issue. Then again, I don't know if BBI re-designed them and Vivid didn't update the picture or if BBI re-manufactured them with different metal, but same design, etc. Best to confirm with Vivid or call BBI if they're now shipping newer/stronger UDP to all their vendors.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by lithium1330
I have no first hand experience with BBI UDP... but have seen a number of pictures from other owners with cracked, broken, fractured UDP. I think consensus is that pursuit of a lightweight design (lots of holes/spaces) was the cause - there just isn't enough metal to keep the thing from fracturing and eventually breaking into pieces.

The picture/link you have looks like the ones I've seen on the web with the issue. Then again, I don't know if BBI re-designed them and Vivid didn't update the picture or if BBI re-manufactured them with different metal, but same design, etc. Best to confirm with Vivid or call BBI if they're now shipping newer/stronger UDP to all their vendors.
I contacted BBI and they said the versions that were cracking were their version 2 pullies which have since then been updated. They stated that I shouldn't have any cracking issues with them. I sent them the pic Vivid racing had and they stated that was the old pulley. Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:43 AM
PNug is infamous around these parts
I have one of the first of their UDP's put on over 4 years ago. It doesn't look like the picture, a lot more metal on mine. You might want to go with a slightly smaller belt cause you'll be on the edge of what the belt tensioner can compensate for, especially since your belt is probably fairly old (Gates K060825). Mine would make a little noise in the morning when I would start it up or sometimes after using the A/C. You'll need a new bolt and washer if they didn't come with the pulley. Those are a one use set. Also, need to trim off the TDC pulley tab on the case so that the smaller one will fit. It can get a little messy so cover the end of the crank.

Don't expect to feel a difference in power. I did it more for helping keep the power steering a little cooler.

GL

Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Banned
Rob VN is infamous around these parts
I replaced my BBI pulley purchased in early 2011 with a Mantis pulley to avoid potential problems.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by PNug
I have one of the first of their UDP's put on over 4 years ago. It doesn't look like the picture, a lot more metal on mine. You might want to go with a slightly smaller belt cause you'll be on the edge of what the belt tensioner can compensate for, especially since your belt is probably fairly old (Gates K060825). Mine would make a little noise in the morning when I would start it up or sometimes after using the A/C. You'll need a new bolt and washer if they didn't come with the pulley. Those are a one use set. Also, need to trim off the TDC pulley tab on the case so that the smaller one will fit. It can get a little messy so cover the end of the crank.

Don't expect to feel a difference in power. I did it more for helping keep the power steering a little cooler.

Yea I know not to expect a lot of power. Ill put it on the dyno, and then retune the car to see what happens.
GL
Originally Posted by Rob VN
I replaced my BBI pulley purchased in early 2011 with a Mantis pulley to avoid potential problems.
Spoke with BBi and they stated I have their newest one and shouldn't have any issues.