Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Bye Cayman S Hello Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 04:39 AM
cremaley is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PNug
I think you went wrong, the Spyder is an accessory for a Cayman not a replacement. Your salesperson slipped up.

Beautiful car man, love the color combo.
I will always remain a Cayman lover. That's the reason I bought a Porsche in the first place but when you can go from 295 horsepower to 320 in a car that weighs 2811 pounds its hard to resist especially when you consider the lines of the Spyder. The other factor is the new Cayman S is a little bit above my pay grade.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:29 AM
the_vetman has a spectacular aura aboutthe_vetman has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cremaley
When my wife saw the interior she said there is no way we are not buying this car. She's as bad as I am when it comes to buying cars.

You're a lucky man!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:10 AM
javCS is infamous around these parts
good looking car...

Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM
PNug is infamous around these parts
cremaley, total get wanting such a sweet car and its advantages over a 987.1S. I just can't see how practical a Spyder as a main car, it really is an "accessory" car, especially in your neck of the woods. Hence, my attemped at humor as you were going to get an accessory for your Cayman. Here is SoCal you could drive that car almost year round, with only a dozen days of rain it would not be an issue. It really needs a hard top option to make it a DD.

The new Cayman is nice but it's price point has moved up a bit, especially with the new options you'd be luck to get out of there with and S under $75k.

Enjoy car the next couple of days cause it looks like you've got rain heading your way next week.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:47 PM
cremaley, total get wanting such a sweet car and its advantages over a 987.1S. I just can't see how practical a Spyder as a main car, it really is an "accessory" car, especially in your neck of the woods. Hence, my attemped at humor as you were going to get an accessory for your Cayman. Here is SoCal you could drive that car almost year round, with only a dozen days of rain it would not be an issue. It really needs a hard top option to make it a DD.

The new Cayman is nice but it's price point has moved up a bit, especially with the new options you'd be luck to get out of there with and S under $75k.

Enjoy car the next couple of days cause it looks like you've got rain heading your way next week.
Not to worry. I never take my Porsche's out in the rain. This is not my DD so it only comes out on sunny days. There is an aftermarket company that makes a hardtop for the Spyder but it is pretty pricey. Think I'll stick with the ragtop.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:38 AM
ReconTrojan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cremaley
Not to worry. I never take my Porsche's out in the rain. This is not my DD so it only comes out on sunny days. There is an aftermarket company that makes a hardtop for the Spyder but it is pretty pricey. Think I'll stick with the ragtop.
Are there hardpoints for a hardtop to attach to?

Old 05-31-2013, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by ReconTrojan
Are there hardpoints for a hardtop to attach to?
Don't really know. Just saw it on the internet already on the car without a demo of how to install it and remove it.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:52 PM
MR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to behold
I just can't see how practical a Spyder as a main car, it really is an "accessory" car, especially in your neck of the woods. Hence, my attemped at humor as you were going to get an accessory for your Cayman. Here is SoCal you could drive that car almost year round, with only a dozen days of rain it would not be an issue. It really needs a hard top option to make it a DD.

I beg to differ, the spyder is VERY practical as a daily driver. I live in San Francisco now and only drive about 2x a month, but I lived in Northern Virginia and drove my Spyder daily. I even got caught in light snow on one occasion. It's true the top is very thin so it's not the quietest cabin but It seals the cabin off from the elements very well. And as far as utility goes I've had many a successful trip to Home Depot

Old 06-01-2013, 11:09 PM
kenny p is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MR2FAST
I beg to differ, the spyder is VERY practical as a daily driver. I live in San Francisco now and only drive about 2x a month, but I lived in Northern Virginia and drove my Spyder daily. I even got caught in light snow on one occasion. It's true the top is very thin so it's not the quietest cabin but It seals the cabin off from the elements very well. And as far as utility goes I've had many a successful trip to Home Depot
Funny enough you mention that. A convertible is very convenient when it comes to making room for odd packages.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM
onenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to behold
That is great. I wish my wife was as supportive as yours.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by onenrg1
That is great. I wish my wife was as supportive as yours.
She never ceases to amaze me. Even got her to ride my Harley with me for over 15 years. In fact while visiting a Harley dealer back in 2003 to purchase some chrome for my 1998 Road King she actually purchased a 2003 anniversary model Road King while I was shopping for the chrome. At first I thought she was kidding but when the owner asked me to step into his office to sign the papers I knew she was serious. What a gal.