Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New or Used Cayman?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 01:48 AM
Jimmianne is infamous around these parts
New or Used Cayman?

I'm getting car purchasing fever and would love to have a sports car to tool around in on weekends. Should I buy new or hunt around for a great older car? What makes more sense? I would dearly love an old beauty, but I don't want something that would spend it's life at the mechanic. So I can either go new, get something 5 years old or less or hunt for a classic. What would you do?

I am thinking Cayman because it seems as though it would be fun - but would a 911 be mo'fun?

Last edited by Jimmianne; 09-28-2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: added on
Old 09-28-2013, 05:11 AM
JunkoForonda is infamous around these parts
Would definitely go for a new one.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by JunkoForonda
Would definitely go for a new one.
reasons?
[Aside from the fact that it would make my wonderful sales guy at Leith in Cary NC very happy...]

Old 09-28-2013, 10:15 AM
bumperpip is infamous around these parts
Just my opinion here.....You're looking for a reliable, enjoyable weekend sports car which would make few demands on your time or check book, and you also aren't (yet) afflicted with Porsche disease. These parameters make it hard for me to justify the maximum cost and maximum depreciation of a new Cayman/Boxster. The current series--981--are great cars. They are also, in the Porsche tradition, evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Also new. Also in high demand. Their immediate predecessors, the 987 series (don't ask) were great cars, too. The 987's donated their engines and transmissions etc. to the new 981's.
You can have a great many low-mileage Cayman/Boxster 987.2 (the last iteration of the 987 series) to choose from, at very reasonable prices, including the cream of the used Porsche crop, CPO'ed cars from Porsche dealers. These are certified by Porsche to a very high degree, and come with really terrific warranties. You will pay more for a CPO'ed car than a similar private sale car with good service records and several years warrany remaining. Your choice. Either way, you get one of the world's greatest automobiles at a very significant saving vs. new.

As to Porsche Disease, well, there are worse afflictions (I hear), and the slogan really IS true...Nothing else even comes close.

Best of luck, and enjoy the ride.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Michael Yount is just really niceMichael Yount is just really niceMichael Yount is just really niceMichael Yount is just really nice
Just picked up a '10 Cayman S with 15k miles on it yesterday -- drove it from Orlando back home to Charlotte. Big smile plastered on face all the way home....so, you know what choice I made.

Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Just picked up a '10 Cayman S with 15k miles on it yesterday -- drove it from Orlando back home to Charlotte. Big smile plastered on face all the way home....so, you know what choice I made.

wow - beautiful - color me envious! If I needed any encouragement, your post is the closer. If you decide you don't want it, just keep driving until you get to Raleigh

Old 09-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Best of luck, and enjoy the ride.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Michael Yount is just really niceMichael Yount is just really niceMichael Yount is just really niceMichael Yount is just really nice
LOL - Jimmianne - got a feeling you'd be willing to make the drive to Charlotte.

Last edited by Michael Yount; 09-28-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:43 PM
How long did you have to look before you found your car?
and you're right - that car is definitely motivation for a road trip.
enjoy! and pity those of us still pouring through the ads...

Old 09-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Divine intervention. Drove lots of stuff (including new cars) and pondered for a month or two. Found the car (autotrader) about Sept. 10 (dealer began offering it around Sept. 1) online. Talked to dealer by phone on Sat. Sept 19 with lots of questions. Talked to my wife in detail on Monday Sept 23 (my birthday!). Had already done all my homework. Made an offer by email (subject to me actually liking the car once I got to see it in person) about 3pm that same day. Got a reply about 15 minutes later accepting my offer. Finalized with a call 15 minutes after that. Bought plane ticket and traveled Thursday morning Sept. 26 to pick up car. All happened pretty quickly. Was looking for a low mileage, 1 owner, 6 speed manual '10 S in white or red. This one had the extra benefit of not having a black or saddle interior - it's dark blue.

Happy Birthday to me.

edit - add that it still has a year/35k left on the warranty - so worry/concern about warranty issues was removed from the transaction.

Last edited by Michael Yount; 09-28-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:17 PM
again, congrats. Thank you for sharing your story. It's a good one with a very happy ending...Happy Birthday, Indeed!

Old 09-28-2013, 04:21 PM
BTW - great transaction with a the dealer in Orlando. Justice Milsom at Porsche of Orlando (owned by AutoNation) is their internet sales manager and he handled the other end of the easiest auto transaction I've ever had. The whole thing was actually a pleasant experience. Would happily recommend him to help you in your search.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Mlcn50 is infamous around these parts
I wasn't a fan of the pre-2014, I wasn't alone Porsche only managed to sell 450, 2013. Pre-981. Only 4 last November in the whole country. Most, people were waiting on the new one. When my 2010 911, needed work or service, the dealer would offer me a Cayman, I drove it for one day and took it back for a Audi. It was to small, I'm 6'2" 225 lbs. I love the new 981, I bought one of the first 2013 Boxsters my local dealer had. I have 26,000 miles on it. I still love it. I hardly drive my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. If you can swing it, I'd say get a new one. It's a different car in my opinion from the last one.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:45 AM
thanks - I'm on my way to the dealership to do some Sunday morning test driving.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Another data point - I'm 6'3" and my wife is 4'11". Finding vehicles we both fit in has been a chore for 40 years. I found that I fit in either the 987 or 981; however, my wife found the 987 a much better fit than the new car. With the seat as far forward as she needs it and all the way up (height) in the 981 - her shin/knee interfered with the knee bolster and bottom of the steering wheel when she was trying to use the clutch. So - what the newer car seems to give to the big/tall set, it seems to take away from those who are smaller.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New or Used Cayman?