Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Spyder vs. Audi R8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 02:57 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bhoov14
A 3rd Spyder is not unrealistic. I certainly love the car. Very first impressions of the V10 R8:
1. Much heavier, but still nimble. Polar opposite to the Spyder
2. Plenty of power...but very refined. First impression is that it almost feels like a touring coupe vs. a supercar. I have not pushed the car at all thus far, so much more to learn after driving a bit more aggressively
3. Steering- Best thus far that I have felt on an Audi, but not as connected as the 987/997
Again, more seat time required
4. Love the interior, gated shifter, and sound of the V10. It will, however, need an exhaust. Narrowing choices thus far to GMG, Capristo, or Fabspeed Racing Exhaust
Love the car, not nearly enough seat time as of yet. Hopefully in the coming months!
1. correct
2. Engage sport button to transform the car's character. Goes from being a "better-steering" Audi to a supercar
3. Correct, but better than the 991. Initial turn-in feel on Porsche is better, but the R8 has unworldly grip in the corners.
4. A new exhaust will further transform the car - I will not put a new exhaust on my V10 Plus - it is already plenty loud enough for me (and my neighbors, as per their comments).

I have ADD when it comes to cars, but after owning 3 R8's, I still have not found anything I like better in cars less than 200K. The only Porsches that I would even consider to replace my R8 are the GT3 (once the engine issue has been resolved) and possibly a manual transmission Cayman GTS if it is as good as the early reviewers have claimed.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:41 AM
bhoov14 is infamous around these parts
I'm certainly happy that I pulled the trigger. I will say, just like in the search for a Spyder (or any rare car) wait for the right one. I looked for a year. Also, if you can, I would really think twice about the v8. Don't get me wrong, gorgeous car as well, however, resale market seems stronger on the right v10 (if you decide to move on eventually). Also, given the standard options that come on the v10 vs. the v8, the difference in the used market is not huge. I almost pulled the trigger on a 2008 with a Heffner twin turbo. Although I would have saved roughly 15k, I bought a car that was a 1 owner v10 w 7k miles in Ibis White (vs a 3 owner w 20k miles and 3 owners...not to mention 2 years older) I would have spent at least 5-10k on interior and engine bits w the v8 (carbon trim, extended leather, ect)
Feel free to email me directly if I can help. bhoover41@gmail.com

Originally Posted by mrwonder
Great recap! I am also toying with the idea of switching from my Spyder to a R8 so this is extremely helpful. Like you however, my fear is not being able to find another perfect Spyder if I want swtich back.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:47 AM
I will try that, I didn't know that a "sport" button existed on the 6 speed. I always drive with the suspension setting (if that is what you are referring to) set to Sport mode.
I agree on the Cayman GTS, I probably would have ordered but I wanted to try the r8 first. It will also be interesting to see if they launch a Cayman GT4, which would be ideal. That or a GTS would be cars I would be interested in.
Another thought is to custom build a 964, or earlier air-cooled (think Singer 911). Very interesting thought for something rare, and completely custom.
Coming from many Porsche's, I am considering the new Fabspeed exhaust on the r8. It's priced well in the market...I was also considering GMG and Capristo. Has anyone heard these exhausts live on the r8?
I had a Fabspeed exhaust on my Spyder that was great. I also had a GMG exhaust on a S5 that I must say, is my favorite exhaust on any car thus far. Any opinions appreciated.

Originally Posted by Alan
1. correct
2. Engage sport button to transform the car's character. Goes from being a "better-steering" Audi to a supercar
3. Correct, but better than the 991. Initial turn-in feel on Porsche is better, but the R8 has unworldly grip in the corners.
4. A new exhaust will further transform the car - I will not put a new exhaust on my V10 Plus - it is already plenty loud enough for me (and my neighbors, as per their comments).

I have ADD when it comes to cars, but after owning 3 R8's, I still have not found anything I like better in cars less than 200K. The only Porsches that I would even consider to replace my R8 are the GT3 (once the engine issue has been resolved) and possibly a manual transmission Cayman GTS if it is as good as the early reviewers have claimed.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:36 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
congrats on the v10 R8

Old 06-13-2014, 01:56 PM
UPDATE
Decided to install the GMG WTC Race exhaust, as well as H&R springs this week. Also powder coating both the exhaust tips and the air vents next to the glass rear window for the motor. All high gloss black to match the rest of the car. I'll be back in Utah later this month, I'll post updated pictures and video on the exhaust.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Sorry trying to do this on my I phone. I also visited the Accumoto Motorsport shop in Madison, WI this morning. I took a ride in their custom built air-cooled 911's. One word. WOW
Considering a custom build on either a street or race car. They are working on some exciting projects, but the Accumoto 911 is a piece of art that happens to perform exceptionally well. I was sold. Flat six did a story on them earlier this year, I would encourage any enthusiast to check it out.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Former Vendor
need4speedmotors has a spectacular aura aboutneed4speedmotors has a spectacular aura about
Very different animals. Light and agile vs Powerful and Planted. What means more to you is the real question.