Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is best place to sell your car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2015 | 07:49 PM
|
Porschephile! is infamous around these parts
Question Where is best place to sell your car

wondering if it's easier and safer to sell through one of the forums like 6SpeedOnline, Planet 9, etc. or better to go consignment and have someone else handle the sale. What are folks best/worst experiences with each? Car is located in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 12-18-2015 | 04:09 PM
gt3kidd is infamous around these parts
Check your auto insurance policy, if you go the consignment route. Most auto insurance policies exclude coverage for consigned vehicles.

I learned the hard way. A used car dealer in Northern NJ stole my car and I'm out $85K because my policy contained the exclusion

Old 12-20-2015 | 11:07 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gt3kidd
Check your auto insurance policy, if you go the consignment route. Most auto insurance policies exclude coverage for consigned vehicles. I learned the hard way. A used car dealer in Northern NJ stole my car and I'm out $85K because my policy contained the exclusion
That's terrible!! Did he have you sign over the title? Can't you show the court that no consideration was given?

Old 12-20-2015 | 08:14 PM
gt3kidd is infamous around these parts
I never signed over anything! I left my car to be marketed by the dealership. They were supposed to contact me with offers to either accept or refuse. I would have expected to go there to sign title if I accepted an offer. He sold my car 3 days later, without my consent, for $50k . He went to NJ Motor Vehicle Department and requested a duplicate title. Then, forged my signature, had clear title, never paid me and stole my car
Originally Posted by Porschephile!
wondering if it's easier and safer to sell through one of the forums like 6SpeedOnline, Planet 9, etc. or better to go consignment and have someone else handle the sale. What are folks best/worst experiences with each? Car is located in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 12-20-2015 | 08:21 PM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
I never signed over anything! I left my car to be marketed by the dealership. They were supposed to contact me with offers to either accept or refuse. I would have expected to go there to sign title if I accepted an offer. He sold my car 3 days later, without my consent, for $50k . He went to NJ Motor Vehicle Department and requested a duplicate title. Then, forged my signature, had clear title, never paid me and stole my car
that seems to be FRAUD.

what are you doing about it/

surfer161

Old 12-21-2015 | 09:59 AM
PorscheinNola is infamous around these parts

if this is true, what that dealership did was basically grand theft auto, Fraud and theft of property in access of $85k three class A felonies. with probably at-least 5-10 years jail time total if convicted.

i really hope you called the police? and have a lawyer?

Old 12-21-2015 | 10:03 AM
PorscheinNola is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porschephile!

You a PCA (Porsche Club of America) Member? if so their website has free classifieds.

also the Market here or Renn-list or P9 forums are all great places.

also check out auto-trader or Cargurus or Cars.com

you wiill probably get most bang for your buck doing a private sale, id suggest not trading it in at a dealer or selling to a dealer. They will never ever give you close to true value on your car.

Old 12-22-2015 | 06:20 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
OP: what do you want, safe, easy or the most money?

Safest is to sell to a local dealer. That's also the easiest. To get the most money, you gotta sell it yourself, which can be a real PITA. I could tell you stories... however, I've never been ripped-off, robbed or beaten, although I have gotten beaten-up on the price once or twice, I still did better than wholesale, which is what a dealer will give you.

Enthusiast forums are a great way to get free exposure, but if you seriously want to sell the car, I've had the best luck with eBay.

Old 12-23-2015 | 04:00 PM
TimD is just really niceTimD is just really niceTimD is just really niceTimD is just really niceTimD is just really nice
I sold my last Cayman to Carmax. Fantastic transaction. Paid me 4000 more than the dealer offered and had a certified check in 15 minutes.

Old 12-31-2015 | 08:31 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I would not use a consignment dealer. I have seen the way they take care of cars. Anyone showing an interest is allowed to test drive the car. If you don't have any concerns about a bunch of tire kickers looking for fun just taking your car and running it to redline in every gear, then feel free.

I sell my cars myself. No one drives the car until they have agreed to buy and provided a non-refundable deposit. I do take them for a ride, streets and freeways.

I learned the hard way when I was 20 and sold my first Porsche. A potential buyer drove it into a curb and damaged the suspension, wheel/tire. They walked away and I was stuck going through my insurance to have it repaired.

Old 12-31-2015 | 10:51 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cairo94507
I would not use a consignment dealer. I have seen the way they take care of cars. Anyone showing an interest is allowed to test drive the car. If you don't have any concerns about a bunch of tire kickers looking for fun just taking your car and running it to redline in every gear, then feel free.

I sell my cars myself. No one drives the car until they have agreed to buy and provided a non-refundable deposit. I do take them for a ride, streets and freeways.

I learned the hard way when I was 20 and sold my first Porsche. A potential buyer drove it into a curb and damaged the suspension, wheel/tire. They walked away and I was stuck going through my insurance to have it repaired.
I had a guy go on a test drive in my Mercedes years ago. I held onto the door he was driving so fast. As we headed back to my house, he said, I can't afford the car, I just wanted to see what one of these could do!

I mean what do you legally do in that situation??

Old 01-21-2016 | 02:48 PM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
I once had my car on consignment at a large dealer close to my house. Wife & I stopped by to check on the car near closing time. Walked up to the car & found the key in the door. I took the key, started the car & drove home. 3 days later the owner called me to tell me it had been stolen.

Old 01-22-2016 | 04:31 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Byprodriver
I once had my car on consignment at a large dealer close to my house. Wife & I stopped by to check on the car near closing time. Walked up to the car & found the key in the door. I took the key, started the car & drove home. 3 days later the owner called me to tell me it had been stolen.
amazing!

djcooper@rennkit.com