Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Doctor K is infamous around these parts
Dead Battery

2006 Boxster S. Keys left in ignition for a couple of days and the car is as dead as a door nail. On the phone a tech from the Porsche store says you can jump start by taking off the fuse cover, finding a red horizonal plug, pulling it out, and attaching your jumper to it. I've looked three times and cannot find anything that resembles what he is talking about. The only red horizontal plug i can see is recessed way back in the fuse block.

Am I blind ???

Old 02-24-2006, 02:46 PM
atlas310 is infamous around these parts
Yes, and therefore you should not be allowed to drive. Since you won't be needing your car any longer, you should just donate it to me .

In all seriousness, I have no clue.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
I did the same thing. Had it in the garage, left the keys in, dead battery. Just open the darn hood and hook up the cables to the battery the old fashioned way.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Auto Club tow driver just left..he says he has no idea of how to jump the car.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:08 PM
How do you get the damn hood open.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Oh that's right, you don't have battery power to open the hood...

Here's something I found online:

7.9 Accessing the Battery when it is Dead

The Boxster has a minor difficulty. If you have the alarm and the battery goes dead, you cannot open the front trunk to get to the battery to jump start it. There have been three techniques discussed for entering the front trunk when this problem manifests itself.
  1. There is a Porsche Technical Bulletin describing one way that works for entering the car. See Front and Rear Hood Release Inoperative [grp5 1-96 5510 1-21-97]. A description of what one owner did to construct the device mentioned in the bulletin is shown at http://grr.xoc.net/boxster/articles/dooropener.asp .
  2. It may work that a cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter jumper cable will power the car enough to open the car. This has not been confirmed to work, though. Make sure that you carry the jumper cables in the passenger section of the car, otherwise you won't be able to get them when they are needed!
  3. Inside the top of the driver's front wheel well, just aft of the spring coil mount, is a little rectangular corner in the black plastic shroud that lines the inside of the wheel well. Reach under this, and you will feel a "wire" about 1/8" in diameter. Too thick for an electrical wire (and not in a harness anyway).Now tug this cable gently out from behind the shroud and get a good grip on a loop of it. Now pull hard away from the headlight once, and prepare to hear the music of the alarm as the front hood pops open. Grab a 10mm wrench and take off one of the battery cables to silence this thing until you can get your key in the ignition and disarm the thing.
    Disconnect the alarm horn, re-connect something with power to the battery leads, and unlock your car.