Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ImagineAuto 2.5L Supercharger is Live

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
iaAaron is infamous around these parts
ImagineAuto 2.5L Supercharger is Live

After year and a half of research, development, and testing, we are pleased to announce the first run of kits are on their way to us as we speak. After we get all the components, and put the individual kits together, they will be ready for shipment to the customer! We have had 2 cars on the road for over a year now with these kits, and the only thing they have needed was a few oil changes.

The official release:

LIMITED FIRST RUN! • • • SECURE YOURS TODAY!
TARGETED DELIVERY DATE 3/13/06

The heart of this kit is the Procharger C1 supercharger. This self-contained blower breaks all the boundaries in the supercharged world. More like a belt-driven turbo than a supercharger, this unit operates at very low temperatures while capturing the highest efficiency ratings for a centrifugal blower. All brackets are CNC’d to exact specifications then powder coated and stamped with the new ImagineAuto/Evolution Motorsports alliance branding. Roto-molded piping ensures a factory look and a very durable system. The kit utilizes all factory components by relocating specific pieces in the system. This means no check engine lights! Instead of trying to piggy back additional fuel in the system we add the proper size injectors and carefully flash your ECU as the factory would with the latest GIAC flashloaded program.
Real world results for the 2.5 were completed on our in-house AWD Mustang Dyno. Base line results were 150 RWHP and after the supercharger was installed, increased to 234 RWHP—a 36% gain over stock. Kit includes:

• C1 Procharger Blower
• Custom CNC’d Mounting Brackets
• Custom Relocated Air Pump Bracket
• High Flow Cotton Air Filter
• Bosch Factory Diverter Valve
• Installation instructions
• Roto-Molded Inlet and Pressure Ducts
• All Hardware incl. Idle Pulleys
• Custom Belt
• Oil for Blower
• All individual Coupling Hose and Clamps
• Custom Proprietary GIAC Flashload Software
• AirPump Extension Harness
A qualified installation facility should have no problem following the included installation instructions. Technical assistance available during normal ImagineAuto business hours.

Price? An affordable $6,995.00. Introductory first run offer, free UPS ground shipping to contiguous 48 states. • 913-310-9927 • www.imagineauto.com •

Call and order your kit today before the 1st run is gone.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:34 AM
mbodo is infamous around these parts
Just so I understand:
A 1998 Porsche Boxster 2.5l has an output of 201HP @ 6000RPM and sells for around $15,000
A 2000 Porsche Boxster 2.7l has an output of 217HP @ 6500RPM and sells for around $17,257
A 2000 Porsche Boxster S 3.2l has an output of 250HP @ 6250RPM and sells for $21,926

(Used mfg spec'd flywheel HP for an apples-to-apples comparison)

The difference between the '98 2.5l and the '00 3.2l "S" is $6,926. Wouldn't someone be better off simply selling their car and buying an 00 "S" and having ALL of the benefits of 1) A newer car, 2) a car that was designed around the engine 3) A non-blown, non-overworked car that will probably last as long as the manufacturer specified it would?

No offense to you guys, this must have been an engineering achievement to pull this off, but for the application and the price (not to mention the 8+ hours of labor it will take to install this sucker), this seems like one of those modifications destined for an obscure chapter in some archive.

Just my opinion, the opinions of others may (and usually do) vary.

Last edited by mbodo; 03-01-2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
A 2000 S for $21K? I would like to see the condition of that car. I am sure you may find 1-2 out there but the cndition will be less then great.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
iaAaron is infamous around these parts
In response

"A 1998 Porsche Boxster 2.5l has an output of 201HP @ 6000RPM"

Our car dyno'd at 150 to the wheels. stock and 234HP to the ground after the S/C

A 2000 Porsche Boxster 2.7l has an output of 217HP @ 6500RPM

We are selling a kit for this to! Just not out yet!

A 2000 Porsche Boxster S 3.2l has an output of 250HP @ 6250RPM and sells for $21,926

The 2.5L will run up the butt of this car!!!! You still can not get a 3.2 for less than 25,000 or at least I haven’t found one. I would have bought it if you could!

(Used mfg spec'd flywheel HP for an apples-to-apples comparison)

3) A non-blown, non-overworked car that will probably last as long as the manufacturer specified it would?

The boost on this is set so low because of the stock internals that it has no effect on the reliability of the car. 4 psi isn't going to hurt anything!
Aaron
ImagineAuto Inc.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:19 PM
mbodo is infamous around these parts
fwiw, pulled the information from Edmunds.com .. Strange, cars.com has 9 986 "S" models for sale under $25k, and a few more for right at $25k.

I'm certainly not trying to be argumentative or a naysayer, but I'm seeing a lot of these cars with 30..40..60,000 miles. Bolting on forced induction will be a really fun ride to the grave for these 6+ year old cars.

I think a 987S motor can be had for $6,000 - $9,000 with little to no miles to speak of (ECU to tailpipe), certainly less than 30,000. I don't know the mechanics of a 986 but I'm assuming one could squeeze the 987S motor right in. THIS seems like it is the way to go.

Fortunately for us, Edmunds' valuations are a little on the low side, not complaining!

Old 03-01-2006, 02:24 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Are you marketing a kit for the 987S?? I love the Boxster but think it is woefully underpowered. Another 36% should be just about right.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:47 PM
SPYCARRUSSELL is infamous around these parts
Shortened life from supercharging

Originally Posted by mbodo
fwiw, pulled the information from Edmunds.com .. Strange, cars.com has 9 986 "S" models for sale under $25k, and a few more for right at $25k.

I'm certainly not trying to be argumentative or a naysayer, but I'm seeing a lot of these cars with 30..40..60,000 miles. Bolting on forced induction will be a really fun ride to the grave for these 6+ year old cars.

I think a 987S motor can be had for $6,000 - $9,000 with little to no miles to speak of (ECU to tailpipe), certainly less than 30,000. I don't know the mechanics of a 986 but I'm assuming one could squeeze the 987S motor right in. THIS seems like it is the way to go.

Fortunately for us, Edmunds' valuations are a little on the low side, not complaining!

MBODO,
If one were considering an engine swap, a 3.4 would be a much more logical alternative to the 3.2 987S motor. More power and torque and for probably less money (from an older 996).

Having said that, I'm not sure you have researched the effects of 4 psi from a centrifugal supercharger. As it is a belt driven device, boost rises on a straight line curve to its maximum design point a redline, in this case approx. 4 psi at approx. 7000RPM. This equates to only 2 psi. at 3500 rpm, 1 psi. at 1750 rpm, etc. The big killer in any forced-aspiration engine application is detonation and intake heat. In this type of application, ignition and combustion events happen so quickly at elevated rpms where there is only 2-4 psi that there isn't enough time for detonation to be the problem it would be in a turbo, lysolm or roots boosted engine. In those applications, higher boost would be present much lower in the rpm range.

This is why 4 psi, which doesn't heat up the intake charge very much, generated by a centrifugal supercharger is almost completely benign to an engine, when proper enrichment is provided.

Looked at another way, it would be like having slightly higher static compression ratio, but only at high rpm, where the engine is least detonation sensitive. This is how designers and builders get away with centrifugally supercharging engines with high compression ratios, often without intercooling. It works, and engines don't necessarilly wear out any quicker.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:48 PM
pdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 05997S
Are you marketing a kit for the 987S?? I love the Boxster but think it is woefully underpowered. Another 36% should be just about right.
I agree on this. What's the timeframe for an 03-04 986 S kit or an 05-later 987 and 987S kit? I think the sweet spot for this product would be an 03-04 986S with 258 crack HP (193 RWHP assuming 25% drivetrain loss which is conservative). You can get excellent condition 03s and 04s for the 35k range, some with under 15k miles. Assuming your 36% gain...you're looking at a 351 HP (263 RWHP) monster. If you can do that with installation for 10k, you've at a 40-50k car that is still under Porsche warranty with a monster motor. What a sleeper!!