Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S vs. S2000

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 05:15 PM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
There have been many agruments about AP1 vs AP2 and the general consensus is that they are equal cars... the engines are slightly different, as is the gearing but in the end they run the same times everywhere... and both are quicker than a 986S. you guys are right on tho, in that the s2k is just slightly slower than the 987S. Also, a properly driven s2k will hit high 13s in the quarter

Old 06-18-2006, 10:56 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dr_sharp
There have been many agruments about AP1 vs AP2 and the general consensus is that they are equal cars... the engines are slightly different, as is the gearing but in the end they run the same times everywhere... and both are quicker than a 986S. you guys are right on tho, in that the s2k is just slightly slower than the 987S. Also, a properly driven s2k will hit high 13s in the quarter
totally in agreement, you know what you are talking about. s2000 deserved a lot more respect then it has been given. and these motors are as strong as p car motors. i have known a few super fast s2k drivers who's motor were raced 3-4 years, without a hitch.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Cerberus is infamous around these parts
Hey guys,

I think the S2000 is 95% of the Boxster S and in some circumstances better. For the money, the S2000 is unbeatable in my opinion for a fun roadster/track toy. In fact, put a supercharger and coilovers ($10k) on the S2000 and the car becomes very competitive if not better than a 987S on the track. I wonder how I know? In fact, I have lots of mods in mind this year for the S2k, so watch out unsuspecting GT3s

Also, repair and maintenance costs are neglible on the S2k, which was a plus for me for my track car.

Last edited by Cerberus; 06-19-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:22 PM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
$10k for those mods and you're getting ripped off... you should be paying half that including the tune. And there is no question w/ a supercharger an s2k will take any stock boxster to school...

Now, modded boxsters i'm not saying anything, I think there are a few around these forums somewhere...

Last edited by dr_sharp; 06-19-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:22 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Also, repair and maintenance costs are neglible on the S2k, which was a plus for me for my track car.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:24 PM
$10k for those mods and you're getting ripped off.
monoball upper shock mount = 1500
that's 8.5k right there.
add supercharger or ....

Old 06-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adybuncio
On track, the Boxter is much faster than an S2000, but why would anyone want to drag a Boxter anyway? Whats the point?

I've run a 1:42.x at Gingerman with the 2.0L (2002 AP1) S2k on 17" street tires (Kuhmo MX). A buddy of mine was slightly faster, and his S2k was completely stock. My times were posted on these forums years ago, and the most recent issue of Motortrend had the Cayman S at 1:41.59 and M Coupe at 1:42.66. The Boxster S will yield similar performance numbers as the S2k, and never "much faster" as you've claimed.

While I love the dynamic experience of the Boxster S, the S2k needs to make no appologies performance-wise, as it is at least equally rewarding of a track car. Heck, while my Turbo was significantly faster at the same track, I'd venture to say that the S2k is more rewarding to pilot at Gman. Give me a high-speed course such as RA, and things may be different though.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 AM
boxtertom is infamous around these parts
C'mom, what is it with all of this s2k propaganda? I owned a 2005 AP2 model for about 16 months, put 7,000 miles on it. Traded it for a new 987-S several months ago. As much as some of you may want it to be so, the Honda cannot compare in any way to the Boxter S. My opinion on the s2k, aka "stook" (don't call it that to an s2k driver, they don't like that term and will get mad if you use it. They're funny that way...):

1. It's a dog on the low end. In 1st and 2nd, you can make alot of noise with VTEC, but you're not going anywhere very fast. You need to get into 3rd to get any pull. Drives like a Civic under normal street conditions.
2. For all of the gushing about the gear box, it takes "snick-snick" to an extreme. If you're not VERY careful with your shifting, you'll get grinding, especially in 2nd. Honda knows this and has refused to address it.
3. VERY skiddish rear end. I don't know about under wet conditions, because as with my Boxter, I didn't drive it in the rain, but even in the dry the rear end can be squirrely dangerous.
4. NO ROOM. Tight fit, and I'm 6-0, 178 pounds. NO STORAGE. That crazy "secret compartment" behind middle is worthless, you'll wrench your back or rear end someone trying to access it.
5. Worthless stereo system.
6. Mediocre fit and finish.
7. What's with that crazy start button? It was neat at first, but then...
8. GREAT top. The vinyl top would probably survivie a nuclear blast, and its quick to extend and retract.
9. Compared to the Boxter S, weak brakes.

The Boxter S is a FANTASTIC car that puts the S2K to shame. The exhaust note is absolutely beautiful to listen to. Great acceleration, even on the low end and at lower RPM's. Excellent fit and finish. A stereo that you can actually hear, even with the top down, amazing! Lots of accessible, well thought out storage. And the double trunk to boot. Raise/lower your top on the fly. I've only had my 987 S for 3 months and I'm a believer. You Honda boys enjoy your stook's. But as for me, I'll keep driving Porsche.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by boxtertom
C'mom, what is it with all of this s2k propaganda? I owned a 2005 AP2 model for about 16 months, put 7,000 miles on it. Traded it for a new 987-S several months ago. As much as some of you may want it to be so, the Honda cannot compare in any way to the Boxter S. My opinion on the s2k, aka "stook" (don't call it that to an s2k driver, they don't like that term and will get mad if you use it. They're funny that way...):

1. It's a dog on the low end. In 1st and 2nd, you can make alot of noise with VTEC, but you're not going anywhere very fast. You need to get into 3rd to get any pull. Drives like a Civic under normal street conditions.
2. For all of the gushing about the gear box, it takes "snick-snick" to an extreme. If you're not VERY careful with your shifting, you'll get grinding, especially in 2nd. Honda knows this and has refused to address it.
3. VERY skiddish rear end. I don't know about under wet conditions, because as with my Boxter, I didn't drive it in the rain, but even in the dry the rear end can be squirrely dangerous.
4. NO ROOM. Tight fit, and I'm 6-0, 178 pounds. NO STORAGE. That crazy "secret compartment" behind middle is worthless, you'll wrench your back or rear end someone trying to access it.
5. Worthless stereo system.
6. Mediocre fit and finish.
7. What's with that crazy start button? It was neat at first, but then...
8. GREAT top. The vinyl top would probably survivie a nuclear blast, and its quick to extend and retract.
9. Compared to the Boxter S, weak brakes.

The Boxter S is a FANTASTIC car that puts the S2K to shame. The exhaust note is absolutely beautiful to listen to. Great acceleration, even on the low end and at lower RPM's. Excellent fit and finish. A stereo that you can actually hear, even with the top down, amazing! Lots of accessible, well thought out storage. And the double trunk to boot. Raise/lower your top on the fly. I've only had my 987 S for 3 months and I'm a believer. You Honda boys enjoy your stook's. But as for me, I'll keep driving Porsche.

Not sure if you are aware, but "Boxster" is spelled with an "s" in it...

Old 07-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
iaAaron is infamous around these parts
Boxster / CaymanPorsche 986 Boxter, Boxter S, and Cayman discussion board.

You bring up an interesting point. It is misspelled on the top of the website!

Old 07-06-2006, 09:56 PM
actually i have had over 10 p cars in the last 5 years, inc three GT3's. i dont have a s2k, but i have driven them extensively. it does have torque, you need to keep it above 6k at all time. else, it's no good. just different driving style. simlarly GT3 is torqueless as well. keep it over 6k at all time or else it's a dog too.

grinding in 2nd gear is due to too fast of a shift. watch all the pro's shift, see how deliberate they shift, what their wrist motion. they shift a lot SLOWER than any of us. watch massen, stuck, long, henzler.

yes, s2k has a skittish rear end. it's bump steer, espeically if your car is lowered. you NEED THIS, tcdesignfab.com they have a bump steer kit that eliminate this. if you lower any 911 series, you will have same prob as well.

yes, lack of room sux. i am 5-10 and 175 lbs. i barely fit and the door really deosnt open very wide. i had easier time getting in and out of my elise.

"...That crazy "secret compartment" behind middle is worthless, you'll wrench your back or rear end someone trying to access it...."

stereo sux, yes,
but c'mon, the fit /finish is no worse than 987 (unless you have full leather)

anything compared to porsches has weak brakes. if you are gonna push a s2k hard, stoptech is mandatory.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
I don't understand how you guys are having trouble getting in to the S2k? I'm 6'5/240, and while it's a little cramped inside, it's not especially difficult getting in or out, even with the top up. The elise was MUCH more difficult to get in and out with the top up. I ended up literally crawling out of the car. (My wife laughed at me.)

Old 07-07-2006, 08:57 AM
F1DNA is infamous around these parts
Why do you guys care what someone else thinks? No matter what you drive there will always be someone quicker or faster.

I love my S2000 - it's the most fun to drive of any car I've been in. That's all that matters to me

F1DNA

Old 07-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
S2000 is just as fast as any Boxster S stock for stock.

Sound and driving feel... up to the driver.

if any of you boxster s owners think you're gonna spank that s2000... haha you're in for a surprise.

i'd take the boxster S, but if i was a boxster S owner, i would respect the S2000.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
S2000 is just as fast as any Boxster S stock for stock.

Sound and driving feel... up to the driver.

if any of you boxster s owners think you're gonna spank that s2000... haha you're in for a surprise.

i'd take the boxster S, but if i was a boxster S owner, i would respect the S2000.
Perfectly put...