Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FVD 3.8L Conversion Into Member's 986 Boxster!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Josh,
Yep, breakin em loose in first and second is very easy. Kinda reminds me of when I test drove the GT2. At that time it scared the $hit out of me, so I opted for the TT w/AWD.
Dawg, mine dyno'd at 360hp at the crank. I'm not sure, but I think it is right about where Josh's car is too with multiplier.

Teuton,
Yep. NA and longevity is why I went this route. I plan to keep the car forever. If you are like Josh, and you are eyeing that Z06 and have a shorter timespan, then maybe a SC is more your speed.

Dave

Old 03-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dave
Josh,
Yep, breakin em loose in first and second is very easy. Kinda reminds me of when I test drove the GT2. At that time it scared the $hit out of me, so I opted for the TT w/AWD.
Dawg, mine dyno'd at 360hp at the crank. I'm not sure, but I think it is right about where Josh's car is too with multiplier.

Teuton,
Yep. NA and longevity is why I went this route. I plan to keep the car forever. If you are like Josh, and you are eyeing that Z06 and have a shorter timespan, then maybe a SC is more your speed.

Dave
I'm trying to see if that's an insult or not...hmm...

Is FVD even doing it on the 987's yet? If not, perhaps I can be game for the tester car!! Hint, hint...

Old 03-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Todd,
Not an insult.

Because your car has more up to date electronics in it, it'll be easier than mine. Who knows, they may be looking for a mule to do a 987. ***** is the big man in charge.

Dave

Old 03-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dave
Todd,
Not an insult.

Because your car has more up to date electronics in it, it'll be easier than mine. Who knows, they may be looking for a mule to do a 987. ***** is the big man in charge.

Dave
Well then, *****, get the hell over here! Take my up-to-date electronics and make me faster! I could have kept up with all those turbos and X50's on the rally during the straights - then it wouldn't even have been a contest, right guys?

Can kiss my POC class goodbye - better further reduce my records before doing the conversion - see how long they last for KI

Old 03-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Banned for Eternity
Well, it looks like they have the 987/S listed on the website for that kit, so perhaps they've done one already...

Old 03-06-2007, 10:16 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Todd,
FVD has done a bunch of 987's, much easier than Dave's car!!
See this page where we won a Cayman 3.8L conversion shootout vs Techart and Carsport in Germany (similar conversion to what yours would be!). Also watch the video on the top of the page, pretty cool!
http://www.fvd.us/main.php?s=31&m=4

Here are all the times from that shootout:

Evan

Last edited by AMG ETR; 03-06-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Banned for Eternity
If they are 'much easier', are they also 'much cheaper'?? Evan??

Old 03-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Yeah, yeah....I know you guys had fun with my conversion. Doin' a straight swap is simple and boring.

Now doing a swap and having to redo all the electronics in the car....priceless!

Todd,
Good luck. It will be a WORLD of difference.

Dave

Old 03-06-2007, 04:37 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by teutonictrio
If they are 'much easier', are they also 'much cheaper'?? Evan??
I knew that was coming, but unfortunatly I don't make the prices. I do believe it is cheaper, but honestly I have not been to FVD in a few months (I usually only work there over summers) so I am not sure what the going rates are right now. When I say much easier, it is much more straight foward, but still takes a lot of time and similar parts, its mostly the tuning that is "much easier"
Contact Rhonda at 954-977-7130 ext. 14 if you want more details, she will help you out!
Evan

Old 03-07-2007, 01:12 AM
Banned for Eternity
Don't understand...

The 997S (with the 3.8l engine) is 0-60 in the high 3's or super low 4's, but the Boxster conversion, in a lighter car, is only 4.5 seconds?? I don't get it...

Old 03-07-2007, 01:20 AM
David_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of light
The Porsche website puts a stock 997S at 4.6 sec for 0-60. The base 997 with the 3.6 is listed at 4.8 sec

-David

Old 03-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Could it be because they were smokin' the tires all the way up to 62mph (100km/hr)?

Old 03-08-2007, 09:43 AM
bavariamotorist is infamous around these parts
Just finished the entire thread.

Great conversion and very brave of you to go that route.

FVD lists the conversion for the 987 at around 26 grand. May be just the thing for me.

Do they keep your old engine?

Old 04-05-2007, 09:11 AM
jayster is infamous around these parts
Hey Dave, Glad to hear your happy with the car, I left FVD before the car returned from Germany. .
PM me with your thoughts. I would have preferred tangling with your car first anyway, and yes the 987 conversions are a breeze by comparison.
Jay Putnam.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Jay,
It is good hearing from you. You did a great job with the car. Hell your whole crew did a great job. Yes. I love it and can't stop driving it. I had thought of putting in one of those fancy stereos with all new speakers, but the engine is the only thing that I want to listen to. Awesome!

Give me a call sometime.

Dave

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: FVD 3.8L Conversion Into Member's 986 Boxster!