Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best starter Porsche, 911 or Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TUUNER
My wife has a Boxster and it is a nice car but to be honest, I cannot fit in the car. It is so small. Anyone around 6 feet tall will have issues. Really, the car is just too small. Fits my wifes tiny frame perfectly.

Go with the 911.
Interesting, because I'm 6'2" with a long torso, and my buddy who also has a Boxster S is 6'3" - you are nuts, bro. I fit in mine with a freaking helmet on and still clear the roofline.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:28 PM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by teutonictrio
Interesting, because I'm 6'2" with a long torso, and my buddy who also has a Boxster S is 6'3" - you are nuts, bro. I fit in mine with a freaking helmet on and still clear the roofline.
That may be true, but RELATIVE to the 911, I think he may have a point

Old 06-22-2007, 11:39 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
my last car was an e46 m3...jump to a 996 turbo if you can....that's what I did and you won't regret it...

Old 06-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dr_sharp
That may be true, but RELATIVE to the 911, I think he may have a point
Not true at all - I have no more head clearance in a 911 (unless it has sunroof delete) than a Boxster or Cayman.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:08 AM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
I'm not talking about headroom, I'm talking about the fact that I am squeezed into the cabin like a sausage...I'm 6'1", 215 lbs...the cabin is WAY too small but perfect for my 5'6" 115 lbs wife.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:36 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
I drove lots of 911's, 997S and 996TT's and hadn't really given teh Cayman the time of day. But I came across a good deal and after driving it twice it is IMO the funnest Porsche I have driven.

I know people will try and deny it, but the handling is second only to the GT3. Its also cheaper which is just that much better. It is not a second choice, 911 is pimpin and the Cayman is pure driving. Mid engines rule.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:54 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
Regular 997 and chip it.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:36 PM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 05997S
I drove lots of 911's, 997S and 996TT's and hadn't really given teh Cayman the time of day. But I came across a good deal and after driving it twice it is IMO the funnest Porsche I have driven.

I know people will try and deny it, but the handling is second only to the GT3. Its also cheaper which is just that much better. It is not a second choice, 911 is pimpin and the Cayman is pure driving. Mid engines rule.
It is testimonies such as this that lead me to believe my next car will be a cayman s. Then again my next car won't be for another 10 years

Old 06-26-2007, 11:29 AM
FB123 is infamous around these parts
I wonder if the response would have been different had this question been posed on the 997 board?

Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 AM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by FB123
I wonder if the response would have been different had this question been posed on the 997 board?
no.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:33 AM
ECB
ECB is infamous around these parts
cayman = easier to drive fast

997 = rewards experience more.

modern 911s..."weight in the back" is good - traction!

Old 06-27-2007, 02:08 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ECB
cayman = easier to drive fast

997 = rewards experience more.

modern 911s..."weight in the back" is good - traction!
I really don't buy this anymore at all. Its an inherently undesirable weight distribution that Porsche has moved mountains to make suitable and while it is quite an awesome car, a Cayman with the same motor would simply crush it.

I don't want a bad design engineered to perfection, I want a car with a superior platform engineered to perfection.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:49 PM
HotLap is infamous around these parts
I drove several Porsches (and other makes for that matter) before finally deciding on the Cayman S. The quick test drives did not convince me. It took two extended weekend test drives for me to really appreciate the Cayman S.

As others have said directly or in so many words, the Cayman S feels more agile when compared to the 996/997 Carreras (both S and non-S). Without argument, the Cayman S does not have the power of the Carreras and if that aspect of the driving experience is high on your "must haves", then the Cayman S may not be the best car for you. For me, the Cayman S strikes the right balance between power and agility. Additionally, coming from a Honda S2000, I feel the CS is more of the enthusiast driving car compared with the 911s. The 911s felt big around me, where the Cayman S just *fit*.

More subjectively, I prefer the lines and proportions of the Cayman S design.

Finally, high on my list was buying new, not preowned. Too many bad experiences had me convinced I would not feel good about buying a car of this caliber/cost and find some short coming that bugged me down the road. That piece of mind was worth the price difference and that made the Cayman S an easy choice, because I was not comfortable forking over $80k-$90k for a new 911 and discounts were big on the CS. Besides, I am young and this gives me something to move up to later.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Who let the dogs out...
Adrift is infamous around these parts
Best answer? Cayman S with RUF 3.8 X51 engine swap. Or get down-right nasty and get their super-charged motor swap.

Yowza.

You didn't really give criteria for making a choice, though, so I will trot out the tired, but true reply of "drive them both and decide for yourself." They are both excellent cars.