Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best starter Porsche, 911 or Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:16 PM
FB123 is infamous around these parts
Best starter Porsche, 911 or Cayman S?

Hi guys,

Relatively new to the forum but have been been lurking for a while. I wanted to get your opinion on this matter. Looking to get my first P-car having recently sold my E46 M3. Would it be better to step into a new Cayman S or a year or two old C2S or C4S (only considering the 997 models). Price is not the biggest concern here, I'm more interested in which would make the best car for fun weekend driving and some loafing about the city. Probably would do a very very occasional trackday.

I have a Prius for my day-to-day grocery getting..

Thanks for any advice!

Old 06-21-2007, 03:22 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
997 SANOTHER PRIUS GUY!

Old 06-21-2007, 04:35 PM
chunpng is infamous around these parts
I have a Ruf (Carrera) and a Cayman. If you have a daily driver already, I'll go for the Carrera. If you are looking for a daily driver (like me), the Cayman is much cheaper to run.

Hope this helps.

CP

Old 06-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Could you give me a little more detail on the pros and cons of each car? Is there anything inherently less satisfying about the Cayman as a sports car? Thanks!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 PM
chunpng is infamous around these parts
FB123,

I don't think there is anything inherently less satisfying about the Cayman as a sports car. It is lighter than the 997. It has better agility numbers (skid pad, slalom, lane change etc.) Many magazines and owners put the Cayman way above the base 997, albeit lower than the 997S.

But sports car purchase is never about quantifiable measurements only (if that's the case, we will all be driving Z06s andLotus Exige turbos). It is about passion and feel. There is no quantifier for passion and feel, as that is truly in the eyes of the beholders.

Both cars you are considering are top-notch sports performers. You have to drive both, hopeful drive both extensively on your favorite roads, and decide which car gives you a bigger grin.

In my case, it is the Ruf BTR, and the fun-to-drive margin is a mile wide. But for a daily driver (casual parking spots, gas mileage, running costs etc.) the Cayman wins.

I know this is not the definitive answer you're looking for, but that's the best answer I can give. Good luck with your choice.

CP

Old 06-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
After a Prius....get a Cayman Spyder. You'll need a ragtop! If money allows, or if your socio-economic arena requires, get the 997S Cab.

Just my $.02

Old 06-22-2007, 09:44 AM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
Get the Cayman... you will no doubt be upgrading to a GT3/Turbo/etc later in life so why not start off cheaper and add a little variety to the garage?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Drive both - you'll find that you have a definite preference. The 911 feels like a beefy, fast GT cruiser compared to the mid-engine Cayman or Boxster. All depends on what you want - both are excellent in their own way.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Hussain is just really niceHussain is just really niceHussain is just really niceHussain is just really nice
It's crazy, the Cayman, 911, and Turbo all feel like fast GT cruisers, essentially what they are. They just get heavier respectively and faster. It's like Small, Medium, Large.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:16 PM
hatchimon is infamous around these parts
test drive is the key here. I test drove both and even the z4m and the cayman s came up on top. thats how i feel about this.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Hatchimon - what were your impressions from your 997 test drives vs. your Cayman test drives?

Old 06-22-2007, 05:26 PM
hatchimon is infamous around these parts
well to start things off...i was coming from an s2000 which i tracked heavily! I was looking into a reg. 997 and went on a test drive. My feelings were pretty good. Lots of TQ...pretty good turn in but was uneasy with the weight in the back. Just a matter of driving it more. I felt the 997 had a ton of grip and couldnt imagine how the S would feel (997 s)...so after that was done my sales person asked if I wanted to test drive the cayman S. I said sure why not. I took on the same roads and exit ramps and knew right away this car was better for me. I was able to push this car much faster around the corners and even drifted it slightly on the exit ramp. It had plenty of grip but felt lighter then the 997. Oh yeah turn in was even better for me on the cayman S. I didnt even really notice the power difference between the 997 and the cayman S. I'm sure if i drove a 997 s things may have been different. But for the Price i made the right choice for me!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:59 PM
MSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud of
I did the same thing as far as test driving both. I went with the CaymanS over the 997. Now if it were a 997s then I would have been closer but between the base 997 and CaymanS it was an easy choice for me. But what ever puts a smile on your face is what you need to go with.

Besides I was only 22 when I got my CaymanS I knew I would be getting a Turbo or GT3 in the future. That is unless they eventually add a turbo Cayman to the mix. Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:19 PM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
My wife has a Boxster and it is a nice car but to be honest, I cannot fit in the car. It is so small. Anyone around 6 feet tall will have issues. Really, the car is just too small. Fits my wifes tiny frame perfectly.

Go with the 911.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:09 PM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TUUNER
My wife has a Boxster and it is a nice car but to be honest, I cannot fit in the car. It is so small. Anyone around 6 feet tall will have issues. Really, the car is just too small. Fits my wifes tiny frame perfectly.

Go with the 911.
OMG @ sold RS... why???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best starter Porsche, 911 or Cayman S?