Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z4 vs Boxster feel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Ronny is infamous around these parts
Z4 vs Boxster feel

Anyone here drive a boxster and Z4 before?

After driving my 911 Carrera, the Z4 feels terrible light and easy to drive. Not just the car itself... the cluth, everything. Like a little toy. Does the boxster feel the same way?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:56 AM
plantagenet is infamous around these parts
I have never been in a Z4 so cant comment on that. As for the interior of the Boxster there is no difference in quality between that and a 911. Boxster S 987 feels in terms of sterring weight identical to the Carrera 997 I also get to drive very occasionally.

Not my cars though so never really be able to go full beans in either

Old 07-13-2007, 02:07 AM
ShimShimHada is infamous around these parts
No, the Boxster's steering and clutch pedal are noticeably heavier.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:11 AM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ronny

After driving my 911 Carrera, the Z4 feels terrible light and easy to drive. Not just the car itself... the cluth, everything. Like a little toy. Does the boxster feel the same way?

The Boxter is much lighter .
But why compare the Z4 or Boxter with a 911 ?
They are totally different cars and (except for a few minor parts ) about the only thing a Boxter has in common with the 'eleven is the badge on the hood.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:54 PM
wilbur760 is infamous around these parts
ok how about a boxster S and a M Roadster?

Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
M Roadster all day ! yikes I can't believe I just said that but I feel it's true !

Old 07-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by JCS
about the only thing a Boxter has in common with the 'eleven is the badge on the hood.
if you compare the 996 vs 986, or the 997 vs 987...that is not true at all.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:57 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Are you guys serious here??? There is no comparison. Boxster all the way. Are we that quick to forget that Bimmer magazine admitted that the old 04 Boxster was better than the Z4 back in 04 and a couple of other auto publications said the Boxster S was even better than the Carrera S!(in terms of feel and fun factor)

Old 07-27-2007, 05:57 AM
Who let the dogs out...
Adrift is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JCS
They are totally different cars and (except for a few minor parts ) about the only thing a Boxter has in common with the 'eleven is the badge on the hood.
Wow, are you mis-informed.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:13 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Adrift
Wow, are you mis-informed.

I second that VERY misinformed

Old 08-12-2007, 08:55 AM
GaryRes is infamous around these parts
Guys,

I have a 997 C2S Cab (with complete Fab Speed) and my wife drives a 2007 Boxster. The Boxster is a great car. To compare it to a 911? They are really completly two different cars.There is NO comparision. I do enjoy the Boxster, but its not a 911. Prior to the 2007 Boxster my wife had a 2004 Boxster. The 2007 is a much better car and in some ways much closer to the 911 then the 2004. People ask me to compare them (911 Vs. the Boxster), and what I say (IMO) is the Boxster is a light weight Boxer (fighter). Easier to move around, throwing punches in your face, basically dancing around the ring. Like Sugar Ray Lenerd was. The 911 C2S is a heavy weight. The feet are planted firmly on the floor and only needs one punch for the knock out. The Boxster has a much lighter, more balanced feel, but the 911 is the heavy weight (in a positive way), and the light weight is great, but its not going to beat the heavy weight. For my wife the Boxster was the best choice. I did like the M roadster, but what made my wife choose the Boxster, twice, was the two trunks. Everything else being equal, the two trunks are very useable and make the two seater more practical. The Z4's interior is very boring and way too simple. I would say that the interior would be similiar to the 2004 Boxster which was..... well, in need of a makeover. The 2007 corrects that problem with an interior as nice as the 911 and much nicer then the Z4. So if I was in the market for the M or the Boxster "S", it would be the "S". The Z4 or the Boxster? The Boxster. It is really a great car. My friend bought his wife a Z4 never considered the Boxster. When he saw mine, and saw the trunks, he said that he would of considered the Boxster. My wifes Boxster is dark Blue mettalic, with tan interior and the Cayman "S" rims. It has a great look. If the trunk wasn't an issue, she would probably be driving the SL550 (no trunk). By the way, the 2007 Boxster is a completley different car then the 2004. In every way. Interior, exterior, build quality, sound, feel etc. Porsche was lost for a few years, but found there way back. IMO the 997 is the best 911 ever made. Period! With the 993 being 2nd. Those years of 1998 to 2004 Porsche was wondering through the desert looking for a homeland. In 2005, they rediscovered themselves. Their products are better then ever.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:39 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GaryRes
Guys,

I have a 997 C2S Cab (with complete Fab Speed) and my wife drives a 2007 Boxster. The Boxster is a great car. To compare it to a 911? They are really completly two different cars.There is NO comparision.
I agree, in a 911 you have to slow down to go around corners.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:40 AM
.bg. has a spectacular aura about.bg. has a spectacular aura about.bg. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Ronny

I feel the same way about the clutch / gear box in the z4 (3.0si) ... It feels like I may break it.

On the other hand I have never experienced a car as nimble as the Z4. The steering feel is absolutely out of this world, with the best (smallest) wheel I've had in a production car. The car is honestly a blast to drive.

I'd love to have an lsd in the back and hit the track.
How do you feel about the actual handling of your z?
Do you have sport package, ect?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Ronny, you must be a hairdresser if these two cars are your choices!

Just kidding. I have owned both versions of the M roadster and now own a highly modded 3.4 carrerra transplant boxster. The M's were fun, the second derivative having more power than the z4 I believe. Easy to drive fast and very engaging but also very small. Maybe the Z4 addressed that but I could never get past the styling. The boxster, at least as mine is set up, is a whole other world. Possibly the most nimble, tossable car I have ever owned and on a tight mountain road or a tight track w/o big straights is also one of the fastest cars I think I have ever driven. Awesome capability, and as mentioned, great utility as well with two trunks and more cabin space.
I would take a boxster all day over the z4. The mid engine is very superior to a front engine car.