Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman VS SLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:52 AM
MSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud of
I love how you use only one number/time for all the different tests that have been done. I've seen a CaymanS run 13.2@107mph, 60-0 braking in 110ft, and slalom as high as 74.1 so that would be a 6 mph advantage. Those are the bests numbers but it varies from car to car. You can't just say SLK55's all run 12.7's because I've seen 12.9's and 13's out of them. I've also seen 13.5-13.6's out of CaymanS.

Also I've only seen 2 other Caymans on the road were I live, we have many more SLK's including amg's. I'd love to have both cars but if I could only have one it would be the CaymanS and thats what I bought.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:35 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
honestly i think you have made up your mind. you want the slk54+1
i like the slk55 a lot but i would chose the cayman for driving preference.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:25 PM
BlownSLK55 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MSCaymanS
I love how you use only one number/time for all the different tests that have been done. I've seen a CaymanS run 13.2@107mph, 60-0 braking in 110ft, and slalom as high as 74.1 so that would be a 6 mph advantage. Those are the bests numbers but it varies from car to car. You can't just say SLK55's all run 12.7's because I've seen 12.9's and 13's out of them. I've also seen 13.5-13.6's out of CaymanS.

Also I've only seen 2 other Caymans on the road were I live, we have many more SLK's including amg's. I'd love to have both cars but if I could only have one it would be the CaymanS and thats what I bought.
I took numbers from several different mags (including the fastest published Cayman S acceleration numbers printed from Road & Track, Car & Driver, Automobile, Car, and Motor Trend). Frankly, it doesn't matter - the closest the Cayman S comes to the SLK is half a second in the 1/4 mile & a trap speed of 5 mph - that is not close....a car pulling away from you by 5 mph is significant.

As for the braking - I chose 1 mag becuase different mags have different test formats (some brake from 60, some from 70 mph). Sooo, to remain consistent - you use the same baseline (in this case, Road & Track, from 60 mph). The Cayman lost in acceleration. It lost in braking. It lost on the Nurburgring.

As for your, "where I live there are more SLK AMGs than Caymans"...balogne. There are 1,000 SLK55s produced/year (so, there are ~ 2,700 AMGs on the road today). By contrast, Porsche produced 7,313 units alone in 2006 (meaning there are ~ 12,000 Caymans on today's roads - close to 5X as many & that includes the extra year head start Mercedes has had). Exclusivity (purely by by numbers produced), the Cayman, again, loses. Personal taste - purely subjective (the only "winner" is the buyer, like yourself, that chooses the vehicle they enjoy - I am happy/gald you enjoy your Cayman...my preference is just different - not right or wrong - just different).

Old 09-16-2007, 01:32 PM
MSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BlownSLK55
Personal taste - purely subjective (the only "winner" is the buyer, like yourself, that chooses the vehicle they enjoy - I am happy/gald you enjoy your Cayman...my preference is just different - not right or wrong - just different).
Agree 100% with that statement.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
slk55amg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-16-2007, 07:26 PM
RX-7 is infamous around these parts
The day mercedes puts in a manual is the day i consider any mercedes.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:50 PM
easyc is infamous around these parts
Just for reference, I ate an SLK55 amg for lunch today at the track... true story. It was like... Me: Oh look its that fast slk55 amg Him: Oh sh*t that boxster is in my mirror again Him: sticks hand out of window to give pass Me: wave to say thanks Him (15 seconds later): I can't see the boxster anymore... oh well he will be back

Old 09-17-2007, 01:17 AM
nizmo is infamous around these parts
I'd say no contest at all. Did you ever read this article?

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto...wmodels/22346/

A car is not about how fast it can accelerate from x to y, it about the total package which numbers don't always reveal. I'd like to see an article that has the opposite opinion where the slk55 > cayman s.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:27 PM
BlownSLK55 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nizmo
I'd say no contest at all. Did you ever read this article?

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto...wmodels/22346/

A car is not about how fast it can accelerate from x to y, it about the total package which numbers don't always reveal. I'd like to see an article that has the opposite opinion where the slk55 > cayman s.
People on this thread were dissing the SLK55 saying it did not perform, in any category, as well as the Cayman. I proved otherwise - significantly otherwise in fact.

Now you mention, "it's a subjective...more than the numbers thing". OK, I counter with having a comfortable convertible that is an all around good performer. And frankly, I don't know what this non comfort thing is in this article (one minute they say the SLK has great seats, the next - the car is not as comfortable as the others - geezuz....make up your mind & remember - it's a sport car, not friggin' Caddy). As for gas mileage (another real "big deal" in a sports car to these clowns, they get ~ 13 MPG! I get a combined 21 mpg & mine has a BLOWER. WTF were these guys doing with thier testing? My guess is they were hammering the F out of the SLK enjoying its V8 more than the other cars - I dunno.

As for your intangibles, Jeremy Clarkson compared the SLK55 vs a Boxter S (the Boxter lost, in fact, Mr. Clarkson bought an SLK55 he liked it so much). It's a funny video, but still covers the "subjectives" you seem to reference. There are 2 parts to the show....http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/top-gear-videos-10.html

Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
You may have a pretty exclusive car in the AMG but I would think overall production of the SLK is probably higher than the Cayman/Cayman S and in all honesty unless you know cars pretty well most will not distinguish an SLK55 from a 350 or other model. I had a C55 and really liked that aspect of the car but to each his own.

While I think there is not doubt the SLK is quicker, I would choose the Cayman for being the pure sports car that it is. Like Blown stated, not like there is a wrong answer here, all about personal preference.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:41 PM
lontong is infamous around these parts
Angry

Originally Posted by 05997S

While I think there is not doubt the SLK is quicker, I would choose the Cayman for being the pure sports car that it is. Like Blown stated, not like there is a wrong answer here, all about personal preference.
You mean SLK55 is not pure sports car ???
I love cayman s but i think you've make a wrong statement here.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:43 PM
K MEN S is infamous around these parts
i just raced a SLK 350 from traffic light a couple of days ago.

i was leading for 1/4 of the car for at least one block, but when we reach the 2nd block, the SLK is catching up and finally took over me at the end of the 2nd block.

my car has techart GTS 20", fabspeed exhaust, de-snork, lowered,body kits and aftermarket brakes.

the wheels slowing it down?

Old 09-18-2007, 11:43 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
What do the AMG guys say? "There's no replacement for displacement."

I raced a SLK32 when I had my Boxster S, and while I lost him in the turns on a curvy road, he easily overtook me on the straights when we both floored it.

AMG engines are no joke!

The cars are apples and oranges though... pick the car that fits your needs. With all that being said, I'd still get a used mid-engine Cayman S.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:49 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by lontong
You mean SLK55 is not pure sports car ???
I love cayman s but i think you've make a wrong statement here.
When they start comparing the handling of the SLK to the likes of GT3's and ZO6's you let me know.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:17 AM
easyc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BlownSLK55
As for your intangibles, Jeremy Clarkson compared the SLK55 vs a Boxter S (the Boxter lost, in fact, Mr. Clarkson bought an SLK55 he liked it so much). It's a funny video, but still covers the "subjectives" you seem to reference. There are 2 parts to the show....http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/top-gear-videos-10.html
Jeremy Clarkson is English, he likes that type of car... to him those intangibles include the raw front engine power, the ability to step the rear end whenever he wants, and the ability to smoke the tires... thats kinda an english/ southern american thing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayman VS SLK