Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman VS SLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:22 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
BLAH BLAH BALH BLAH Go get a SLK and if you drive one congrats!!! I think there "nice" Not for me to each his own. If the car was THAT good then they would be flying off the shelves. I know when I sold them we couldnt move them at all. Just my .02

Old 09-20-2007, 12:16 AM
BlownSLK55 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ZEMDOGG
BLAH BLAH BALH BLAH Go get a SLK and if you drive one congrats!!! I think there "nice" Not for me to each his own. If the car was THAT good then they would be flying off the shelves. I know when I sold them we couldnt move them at all. Just my .02
Spoken like a true car salesman ("Zemdogg", what IS THAT?). But hey, I digress. I know exactly what you mean.....we could never move any Zonda Fs, Veyrons, or Enzos. If they were THAT good, they would be flying off the shelves. All we could ever manage to sell were Porsche Cayman Ss.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by BlownSLK55
Spoken like a true car salesman ("Zemdogg", what IS THAT?). But hey, I digress. I know exactly what you mean.....we could never move any Zonda Fs, Veyrons, or Enzos. If they were THAT good, they would be flying off the shelves. All we could ever manage to sell were Porsche Cayman Ss.
You have no FN idea who your talking to and who I am......... Im just going to opt out of this stupid conversation. Talk all the crap you want. You want to throw insults thats fine. You come on to a PREDOMINANTLY Porsche site and think your gonna find guys who back the Benz??? Get a life man. If you dont like my name get over it. Move on. True salesman???? lol Insulting what I do. I wouldnt be succesful if I was the typical.......

Old 09-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by ZEMDOGG
You have no FN idea who your talking to and who I am......... Im just going to opt out of this stupid conversation. Talk all the crap you want. You want to throw insults thats fine. You come on to a PREDOMINANTLY Porsche site and think your gonna find guys who back the Benz??? Get a life man. If you dont like my name get over it. Move on. True salesman???? lol Insulting what I do. I wouldnt be succesful if I was the typical.......
Nobody is throwing insults but yourself with childish banter ("BLAH, BLAH, etc...ring a bell?)

I didn't know that discussing a topic on a car site automaticly excluded intelligent thought from other forum members. Nobody needs to "back" anything - this isn't one of your gangsta fights "ZEMDOGG" (it's a discussion about 2 sports cars & preferences before you chimed in with your "BLAH, BLAH" banter).

We won't even comment on your last sentence

Old 09-21-2007, 08:20 AM
PM me if you would like an explanation on the name. Nothing to do with Gangsta. lol whatever.....

Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
blownslk...youre wrong cayman s runs 8:11 on the ring...

not only does it beat the slk amg it destroys it!

8:11* -- 151,274 km/h -- Porsche Cayman S, 295 PS/1340 kg, test driver Walter Roehrl (*mfr.) (sport auto 07/05)
8:24 --- 147.143 km/h -- Mercedes SLK 55 AMG, 360PS/1566kg (sport auto 04/05),

13 seconds is a lifetime on the ring. as for handling, the cayman s is better also, as well as interior fit and finish, etc, etc ,etc.

the only thing the amg does better is straight line acceleration.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:26 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
The difference between the two is pretty bad considering that the SLK55 has the HP/TQ to gain seconds on the straights.

Even if the time were as what was originally posted, what is the SLK's excuse for only being 1 sec faster given that it has +50 HP/TQ than the cayman? Where's all that HP going?

Originally Posted by PorscheC4

8:11* -- 151,274 km/h -- Porsche Cayman S, 295 PS/1340 kg, test driver Walter Roehrl (*mfr.) (sport auto 07/05)

13 seconds is a lifetime on the ring. as for handling, the cayman s is better also, as well as interior fit and finish, etc, etc ,etc.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:43 AM

No, there are TWO Cayman S 'Ring times (I did not see the 8:11 sec but looked into it). Turns out it was driven by Walter Rorl (Porsche's test driver, not some auto mag guy who got the slower time in the Cayman S the 2nd time round). I would imagine the same can be said for the SLK55 (give it to Hamilton - he will post a faster time that the mag guy). So, I was comparing "apples to apples" (same driver, different cars....not a race PRO vs a car mag novice).

You are also wrong on braking - the Cayman S is close, but takes a few feet more to come to a halt (even after trying to induce fade after repeated stops). I'm not trying to split hairs gang - just pointing out "the numbers "put the two cars very close. In fact, the SLK55 is within 1 - 2 seconds of a 996 Carrerra 4, Boxter S, & the Cayman S (when the drivers are the same):
8:22 --- 147.749 km/h -- Mercedes-Benz C55 (sport auto07/2004)
8:22.38 147.617 km/h -- Nissan Skyline R32 GTR (Best Motoring video "Carrera Invasion")
8:23 --- 147.435 km/h -- Aston Martin DB7 GT, 442 PS/1833 kg (sport auto 07/03)
8:23 --- 147.435 km/h -- Porsche Boxster S, 280 PS/1426 kg (sport auto 04/06)
8:23 --- 147.435 km/h -- Porsche 996 Carrera 4, 300 PS/1466 kg (sport auto 01/02)
8:25 --- 146.851 km/h – Porsche Cayman S, 295 PS/1412 kg (sport auto 11/06),

Spyder, the SLK55 weighs 300 lbs more & is a convertible - it's absolutely going to give some ground in the corners (hang on to your azz in the road straightens though). See yaaaaaa guys.

-Matt

Old 09-22-2007, 09:48 AM
easyc is infamous around these parts
Oh how I love magazine racing... Just because Hamilton is McLaren's driver doesn't mean he knows a lick on driving the ring. Rohl is the kind of the ring, and I would put his times up to anyone not named Sabine.

And if you want some real world results? check my earlier post, and Im in a first generation boxster S with 100 less HP.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by easyc
Oh how I love magazine racing... Just because Hamilton is McLaren's driver doesn't mean he knows a lick on driving the ring. Rohl is the kind of the ring, and I would put his times up to anyone not named Sabine.

And if you want some real world results? check my earlier post, and Im in a first generation boxster S with 100 less HP.
This is not a contest about "who is the better 'Ring driver" . It is worth noting, however, that some mag driver is not going to post the times that Walter is (which is what my last post was about - I think we are in vehement agreement on this point). I track my RX-7 @ Laguna Seca on occasion & can attest to the fact that a more experienced driver can whip a superior track/sports car....this is nothing new & is "why" Walter extracted ~ 14 seconds in a Cayman S vs the auto mag guy. Walter is a PRO. Put him behind the wheel of the AMG....the 'Ring time will drop. AND, I say while we are at it, let's use MB elite SLK model - a Black Series...like Walter had at his disposal with the Cayman S equipped with 19" rims, PASM, ceramic brakes, etc. This old 2005 SLK55 time not only posted ~ the same time as the Cayman S with the same driver, but it was the weakest "flavor" SLK55 produced (softest suspension, wheel/tire combo, etc). I'm telling some you guys, you are underestimating how quick the AMG is on a track - it's got a strong powerplant, excellent brakes, and handles pretty darn well - it's no sloutch.

BTW, because I passed a DP935 with 700+ Hp in my RX-7 during a weekend track event does not mean the guy was racing me. He was a new driver testing some different suspension geometries - he could have put have put a few buslengths on me if he wanted. My point is this....not everyone at the track is "racing you" - sometimes they just wish to have casual fun, are outfitting a car, etc. I see it all the time (I do it too - I don't drive at 10/10nths all the time).

Last edited by BlownSLK55; 09-22-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:19 AM
easyc is infamous around these parts
This is not a contest about "who is the better 'Ring driver" . It is worth noting, however, that some mag driver is not going to post the times that Walter is (which is what my last post was about - I think we are in vehement agreement on this point). I track my RX-7 @ Laguna Seca on occasion & can attest to the fact that a more experienced driver can whip a superior track/sports car....this is nothing new & is "why" Walter extracted ~ 14 seconds in a Cayman S vs the auto mag guy. Walter is a PRO. Put him behind the wheel of the AMG....the 'Ring time will drop. AND, I say while we are at it, let's use MB elite SLK model - a Black Series...like Walter had at his disposal with the Cayman S equipped with 19" rims, PASM, ceramic brakes, etc. This old 2005 SLK55 time not only posted ~ the same time as the Cayman S with the same driver, but it was the weakest "flavor" SLK55 produced (softest suspension, wheel/tire combo, etc). I'm telling some you guys, you are underestimating how quick the AMG is on a track - it's got a strong powerplant, excellent brakes, and handles pretty darn well - it's no sloutch.

BTW, because I passed a DP935 with 700+ Hp in my RX-7 during a weekend track event does not mean the guy was racing me. He was a new driver testing some different suspension geometries - he could have put have put a few buslengths on me if he wanted. My point is this....not everyone at the track is "racing you" - sometimes they just wish to have casual fun, are outfitting a car, etc. I see it all the time (I do it too - I don't drive at 10/10nths all the time).
We weren't racing as it was a DE, but I don't think you can compare the top of the line cayman to the black series SLK... thats 295 HP versus 400... on the ring, that is a big deal... on a smaller track then it would be different. Im not underestimating the SLK at all. I just hate it when people come on here (especially in this sub forum), and start throwing number and lap times out. The majority of boxster and Cayman owners on here, own their car because of how it drives... I love mercedes and respect any AMG model, but the same rule goes for ANY two cars on the track... They have a range of performance which can only be extracted by a varying level of driver skill... The HP difference between these two cars is what is the biggest difference. The Cayman will have more terminal grip if tires are equal and honestly will stop better in a track situation (because of its balance), but the AMG black will have a greater and higher range of terminal speed on a track due to its 100 extra HP. Now if the cayman had 350 HP? Ball game over, but it doesn't because at most tracks that extra 100 HP can only be tapped to its potential by a very small percentage of drivers.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:20 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
No, there are TWO Cayman S 'Ring times (I did not see the 8:11 sec but looked into it). Turns out it was driven by Walter Rorl (Porsche's test driver, not some auto mag guy who got the slower time in the Cayman S the 2nd time round). I would imagine the same can be said for the SLK55 (give it to Hamilton - he will post a faster time that the mag guy). So, I was comparing "apples to apples" (same driver, different cars....not a race PRO vs a car mag novice).

You are also wrong on braking - the Cayman S is close, but takes a few feet more to come to a halt (even after trying to induce fade after repeated stops). I'm not trying to split hairs gang - just pointing out "the numbers "put the two cars very close. In fact, the SLK55 is within 1 - 2 seconds of a 996 Carrerra 4, Boxter S, & the Cayman S (when the drivers are the same):
8:22 --- 147.749 km/h -- Mercedes-Benz C55 (sport auto07/2004)
8:22.38 147.617 km/h -- Nissan Skyline R32 GTR (Best Motoring video "Carrera Invasion")
8:23 --- 147.435 km/h -- Aston Martin DB7 GT, 442 PS/1833 kg (sport auto 07/03)
8:23 --- 147.435 km/h -- Porsche Boxster S, 280 PS/1426 kg (sport auto 04/06)
8:23 --- 147.435 km/h -- Porsche 996 Carrera 4, 300 PS/1466 kg (sport auto 01/02)
8:25 --- 146.851 km/h – Porsche Cayman S, 295 PS/1412 kg (sport auto 11/06),

Spyder, the SLK55 weighs 300 lbs more & is a convertible - it's absolutely going to give some ground in the corners (hang on to your azz in the road straightens though). See yaaaaaa guys.

-Matt
either way, the cayman s is capable of much more given a good driver...a lot of mag guys are afraid to push porsches, even the cayman which is argueably the best handling car ever made.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:24 PM
either way, the cayman s is capable of much more given a good driver...a lot of mag guys are afraid to push porsches, even the cayman which is argueably the best handling car ever made.
I beleive that is what we said above (and was already proven with Walter's 8:11 time). The same holds true for the SLK....let him drive it & the SLK's 8:24 time will drop considerably (especially optioned up like Walter's Cayman S - the SLK tested was not a performance 030 optioned SLK which has a firmer suspension, bigger rim/tire aspect ratio, & even stronger brakes).