Importing 2008MY Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Maddog78 is infamous around these parts
Yes, there was a list of shops you could use. Doesn't have to be C.T.
I think the list came when they sent the Compliance form.
I used C.T., it's close to me and I basically watched them do it all.
They did it in the first bay right in front of the glass.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:17 PM
OK, I found the list of independent shops you can use.

http://www.riv.ca/english/Independen...on-Centres.pdf

Old 03-05-2008, 12:23 PM
crx168 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the list Maddog78 yet again!!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 PM
No problem.
Check your PM box.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:10 PM
hey guys, just want to update you all on the RS deal. Turns out it's a flop. The car was in a front/right bumper damage "severe damage". So the search is back on.

Does anyone know specifically how to go about driving an US car back up? is that allowed actually? that means I will need to get insurance and a temporary license?

And what do I do at the border. The reason why I ask is because if the car is close by, I can actually drive it up myself.

But as you know, I will be pulled over at the border and I'm wondering what paperwork and things I will need to prepare. Will they even let me in?

Old 03-07-2008, 03:22 PM
For me, the dealer in TX issued a temporary tag and with that I got a 21 day, binding policy it was called, from ICBC. I had to wait on title so my car was in storage just across the border in WA. I could go down and drive it at least while it was there.
Policy was only good in the US and once the car entered Canada it had to be driven straight to your house.
If a similar thing is available in Ont., should be no problem to drive one home.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:41 AM
ooo...this may be tougher than i thought. I may be buying from a private seller. sigh...

Old 03-08-2008, 09:36 AM
west coast is infamous around these parts
If you go onto the RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) site it pretty much walks you through what is required to import your car, also call U.S. customs and see what they require,they need 72 hrs notice.but it is good to start communications with them.The Canadian side does not require notice,just be sure that they are going to be open if they are not a 24 hr crossing.As for when you get to the border, I just pulled up in the car and declared it like any other purchase, it was easy, 20 min at U.S. customs and maybe 45 min at Canada Customs. just do your homework.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by crx168
ooo...this may be tougher than i thought. I may be buying from a private seller. sigh...

You could always transporter it to the nearest border town and put it on a flatbed tow truck to your place but talk to a local insurance company. There must be a way to get a policy there, too.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:43 AM
propr`one is infamous around these parts
Some quick tips for driving a US car back into canada.

First, if a car is 15 years old, you can ignore everything following this regarding import. RIV does not administer cars over 15 years old, you can bring in anything you like.

Since it doesn't seem like any of you are importing cars over 15 years old, there's more of a proceedure to this.
-First check the RIV website online to see if your car can be imported. Lots of cars can't be imported, and more can be imported only with modifications. Dont worry about stuff like DRL's, that's easy. Worry about bumpers passing crash test ratings, some cars need to have the whole front suspension/bumper & rebar swapped out, that can add up.
-So your car can be imported! great, now you have to find a car. Buying from a dealer will make this process a LITTLE easier, however, you really dont have to as long as you do some research.
-You found the car you want! (obviously had it inspected by a dealer, etc, made sure title was clear, and all the other obvious stuff when buying a car)
-You need to get the original title for the car. So the best thing to do is to give the dealer a deposit, and get the title, providing you'll pay the dealer the remaining amount when you come pick the car up.
-Send the title to the canadian customs agency at the bridge you are going to cross (ONLY SEND TO THAT OFFICE). Address is on RIV website. They MUST have the title 3 days prior to you importing the car, otherwise you WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO IMPORT.
-You will also need a warranty recall clearance letter. If you go to porsche USA (head office) they'll charge you for this. I'd ask a fellow 6speeder who has a relationship with a porsche dealer to get you this letter, this doesn't cost the dealership anything. They may or may not charge you, but from what i've heard, its still better than to get it from porsche HQ.
-So, you've sent the title and the recall clearance letter (on porsche letterhead of course) to RIV. Now you need insurance. Do you need insurance in the USA? Yes. Do you need insurance from a US company? No. Shop around in canada for an insurance quote, tell them the car is in the states. This wont be a problem, they'll be happy to insure you. They can fax you your cards, but i strongly suggest going to their local office and picking up the originals before you go down to the USA. Save yourself some hassles.
-Now for the remaining things you have to do, keep in mind, you have to do them when they are OPEN. Check the state DMV for their hours. Most customs offices at border crossings are open 9-5, some 8-6. You cannot import a car after hours.
-So you catch a flight to wherever the car is. Certified cheque, insurance paperwork, all in order. If you bought the car from a dealer, they can get you temp plates. If not, no big deal, go to the DMV once you have the title in hand, you'll need your insurance card, and you'll have yourself a temp permit. Temp permits vary from state to state from 5-7 days all the way up to 30. Fees differ, but none are terribly expensive.

So now what?

you just bought your (whatever you bought) and you're flying up the highway headed north back up to canada. Other than the obvious speeding tickets to worry about, you dont want to break the car on a long trip home, so, be careful. Another good reason to keep the driving reasonable, is, most states' temp permits are only valid within their states. I've driven all over the USA with a temp permit from only one state (ohio), and i've NEVER had a problem. However, technically, you have to stop in each state you drive through to get a temp permit. Best thing to do is simply not draw attention to yourself. If you do get caught, its only an improper plate ticket, since you have your original insurance card to prove you're insured (much bigger offense in many states)

So you get to the border during their hours of operation. They already have your title and recall letter. You give them the bill of sale, and pay 6.1% taxes on it. You also pay 5% GST. If the car has A/C, you are dinged another 100$. The RIV has its own fee of 190$. Your car is looked over, and if everything checks out (they're just looking for vin's and stuff, nothing to sweat), they take your US title and issue you an provincial title.

Once again, technically, in ontario, you're supposed to get an (provincial, for me, ontario) temp plate. Personally, i wouldn't bother, but its up to you.

Your car is imported!

-nope, not yet. You need to take it to canadian tire(ontario OR) dealer, these are the only two places authorized to make RIV modifications (only if modifications are necessary). The only things you can do yourself are DRL's, (use a relay, piggyback off the fuel pump-> lowbeams, and you have DRL's), you also need billingual airbag stickers. Just print them off yourself, put them on for inspection, then throw them out (if you need help with this, PM me). If your province requires emissions testing, might as well get them done aswell. If your province requires a safety, get a safety.

I believe you have 30 days to complete all the modifications. Now, in ontario, you can only get 1 temp permit (10 days) before you get your car safetied. But assming your temp permit from the states was still valid for a week, and you get your 10 day on the last day of that week, you can drive your car in canada for 17 days before having to get it plated.

Bring the title, safety, emissions, and insurance information to the local MOT. Pay the PST, and the plate fee. Put the plates on, and know, you just saved a bunch of money by buying from the USA!

If anything is unclear feel free to ask. Please keep in mind the only practical knowledge i have is importing cars to ontario, as this is home.

ALL 2008 CARS !!!MUST!!!! have immobilizers installed on them! There is NO aftermarket option for immobilizers that meet RIV standards as of yet, MAKE SURE your 2008MY car has an immobilizer otherwise you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO IMPORT.

Last edited by propr`one; 03-09-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Propr ' one, terrific description of the import process, I was interested to read about your experience with state issued temporary/trip permits I as I have been researching which states honour which other states temporary/trip permits in the west coast corridor (Washington, Oregon, California etc). There is merit, cost savings and a fun factor to a fly-and-drive-back experience. When I bought my current C4S I had it delivered to a Seattle Porsche dealer, bought a Washington State 3 day trip permit (US$24 from a Blaine grocery store - how civilized) and drove it home. Trucking was a similar experience. I had it trucked via FedEx Custom Critical from Sacramento CA and other than chosing the high price transporter and waiting 2 extra weeks for pickup they were excellent to deal with. After spending some time on the transport.com web site ( http://www.transportreviews.com/ ) I learned a lot more about the good, bad and ugly of auto transporters, its worth a read.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
PS - I am still hoping to hear from anyone who has had the RIV/Transport Canada required bumper mods done on a 2008MY 911. I am working on a quote from a Seattle dealer and when I get the details I will post the information however it would be good to hear from anyone who has actually had it done.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Friend of mine was at pfaff porsche (its in woodbridge, near toronto, ontario) the other day, sales guy said there was quite a few importers doing the conversions there. If i were importing an '08, i'd give them a call and see if they'd give you a quote over the phone. That way, you have some ammunition when you shop around at the local dealers.

Good luck, and, props on importing the car yourself.

I'll probably always buy beaters in canada, but the next summer car will certainly come from the US, and wherever it is, i'll drive it back. Some people see the drive as a negative aspect of import. Personally, i'd look forward to the drive.

As to the temp plates being valid outside of the state their issued in, thanks for updating me on that! I haden't heard of it. Last time i got an ohio temp permit(i store my summer car in ohio, drive it back to canada every summer), they specifically told me it isn't valid outside of the state. Unfortunate, because my car's in ohio now (with expired plates), and as soon as this snow melts i want it back!

oh well, in the "gray area" of the law again. No surprise there

Last edited by propr`one; 03-09-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:58 PM
I had my 'potential' dealership ask for the bumper modifications and the cost of updating it to Cdn specs is $2750 (this is what he told me)

His comment "have bumpers figured out to get done in montreal it not bad around 2750 dollars"

Doesn't seem much, but when an 08 RS is about $200KUS, + the 18% and misc fees + bumper mods, looking at around $240K US. Which is difficult to justify.

I think I will pass on the 08 and will continue the search for a 07.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:19 AM
You're looking for a GT3-RS? I'm assuming there's a waitlist for those in canada.

Has anyone on here imported a 3.4L 996?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Importing 2008MY Porsche