Importing 2008MY Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:01 PM
crx168 is infamous around these parts
any reasons why you're importing a 996? Is there that big of a price difference on used 996's?? remember, you need to pay 6.1% duty also.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Maddog78 is infamous around these parts
I'm hoping to import a 996 this summer. My S2000 import last year went very smooth.
Nice.
I saw in the National Post today that US imports were up quite a bit in March.
Definitely worth looking in the US these days.

crx168, it's likely the same as with newer cars. Better choice and probably save 10K+.

Last edited by Maddog78; 04-02-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:42 AM
kunkstyle is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by crx168
any reasons why you're importing a 996? Is there that big of a price difference on used 996's?? remember, you need to pay 6.1% duty also.
$10-15k, even after import fees.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:50 AM
f0rd is infamous around these parts
There is a much larger selection of low-mile and/or nicely modded cars to choose from in the US. I live in a smaller city in Canada so the chances of finding one locally are nil. After factoring in duty and other import costs there is usually still a $10-20K price difference.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:13 PM
if it's a low-mile, slightly used, rare or modded US car, then I'd totally agree with you in saving a few bucks. But if brand new, I would honestly save the hassles and buy new from Canada.
Remember, buying for $10 less from the US means selling in Canada less by $10 also.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 PM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
Suggestion for anyone looking, call Miles at Southcenter Fine Cars in Calgary. I know for a fact that he has had better deals then used US cars.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Remember, buying for $10 less from the US means selling in Canada less by $10 also.
How so? Why wouldn't market value dictate what it sells for in Canada?

Old 04-04-2008, 07:51 AM
put it this way...if you are buying an used US vehicle "locally" in Canada and you know the buyer probably got the car for less, would you pay as much as a Canadian market car?

The only exception is if the US car is a rare find in Canada, such as collectors or cars that were/are not being sold in Canada.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by lager99
Suggestion for anyone looking, call Miles at Southcenter Fine Cars in Calgary. I know for a fact that he has had better deals then used US cars.
Although South Centre's pricing may be good, who knows, they've only got 5 pre-owned cars and the latest 911 is an '03! Not much to choose from...

Old 04-04-2008, 05:43 PM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Edgemontvillage
Although South Centre's pricing may be good, who knows, they've only got 5 pre-owned cars and the latest 911 is an '03! Not much to choose from...
5 according to who? I hope you aren't going off their website...

Old 04-04-2008, 06:15 PM
put it this way...if you are buying an used US vehicle "locally" in Canada and you know the buyer probably got the car for less, would you pay as much as a Canadian market car?
It really doesn't matter what the buyer got it for. If it's got the same options as a Canadian build I'd be paying whatever the Canadian market value is. Which is why I won't buy one in Canada. There's a lot of US spec vehicles up here and they certainly aren't being sold at US rates.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:39 PM
pongobaz is infamous around these parts
I highly doubt that. Here's my example: 2 years ago I bought my US-spec C4S and saved $27K (in my driveway) vs what the local dealer wanted for a "similar" CDN car. Similar except for the fact that my US car had about $24K worth of factory options, 10K less Kms, a 3" binder from the PO with every receipt, article about the C4S, driving logs, etc... while the dealers CPO car was a lease return. The dealer car's only advantage was the 2 years of CPO on top of the 14 months of factory warranty; mine only had 18 months of factory warranty left.
So fast forward to today: lets say for arguments sake, that both these cars go back on the market and the CDN car is going for $60K...using your logic, do you seriously believe that mine would only get $33K?

I looked long and hard on both sides of the border for more than 7 months and the fact were (and still are), that there is a much larger selection of p-cars in the states and Americans like to load up with options their cars much more than us Canadians.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:58 AM
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...5f936f&k=45014

Transport Canada may change our bumper regs to match the US.
One less thing to worry about.

Ottawa putting a dent in bumper safety, say critics
David AkinCanwest News Service

Thursday, April 03, 2008

The federal government moved Thursday to bring some safety rules for bumpers on cars in line with those in the U.S., a tiny adjustment that could have a big bottom-line impact for car makers and broaden the choices for Canadian consumers. But the Canadian Automobile Association worries that the new, less-stringent rules could make cars more susceptible to damage and that, in turn, could make repair bills more frequent and raise insurance premiums.
"You have to wonder . . . will cars have more damage done to them, therefore will there be more repair costs and will your insurance rates go up?" asked Eamonn Horan-Lunney of the Canadian Automobile Association.
The insurance industry is not yet sure how - or even whether - premiums will change. The Insurance Bureau of Canada agrees that the move to the U.S. standard for car bumpers has the potential to increase the frequency of cars going in for repair, but it could also reduce the frequency and severity of pedestrian injuries. That's because Canadian bumpers, like those in the U.S., will now be "softer", that is, they will absorb more of the blow should a vehicle strike a pedestrian at a low rate of speed.
And as far as insurers are concerned, injuries to humans are a much more expensive problem than dings on bumpers.
"It's a little bit of a zero-sum game. You lose one but you (have) the potential to gain on the other," said Robert Tremblay, director of road safety at the Insurance Bureau of Canada.
Liberal MP Joe Volpe, his party's Transport critic, said Canada should not move down to the U.S. safety standard. Instead, the U.S. should move up to the Canadian standard.
"Canadian governments always have subscribed to a higher standard of safety and that's pushed the envelope quite a bit," Volpe said.
Volpe noted that Ontario alone wields significant manufacturing clout. More cars and light trucks are manufactured in that province than in any other province or U.S. state, including Michigan.
Car makers, though, cheered the move, seeing it as part of a broader push to harmonize business rules and regulations to help ease an economic slowdown.
"It's a real positive step," said Mark Nantais, president of the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers Association. "Working with Transport Canada for a long time now to remove (this) tyranny of small differences."
Car makers say the differences between Canadian and U.S. auto standards costs them millions every year in design and manufacturing costs.
The change announced Thursday seems, on the surface, to be a minor matter. Bumpers on cars sold in Canada will now have to pass a four-km/h front and rear crash test - that's the U.S. standard - instead of an eight-km/h test. For corner impacts, the crash test standard moves from 4.8 km/h to 2.4 km/h.
So far as car buyers are concerned, the move by Transport Canada to harmonize bumper requirements means some cars made for the U.S. and European markets may now be eligible for sale in Canada, said Horan-Lunney. And those Canadians who go shopping for an auto bargain south of the border will also have less to worry about when they try to bring cars back to Canada.
Canadians importing a car pay only a small fee to bring U.S.-bought vehicles here, regardless of the sale price, but the vehicle must meet all existing Canadian safety requirements. The different standard for the bumper safety test meant that many vehicles sold in the U.S. could not be imported unless the consumer paid to install Canadian-certified bumpers.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Maddog78
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...5f936f&k=45014

Transport Canada may change our bumper regs to match the US.
One less thing to worry about.

Thanks for posting, this is terrific news. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for these changes to trickle down to RIV.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Just out of curiosity was your car parked in short term parking at the Airport a couple of Tuesday's ago? I saw one just like yours.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Importing 2008MY Porsche