Importing 2008MY Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Importing 2008MY Porsche

Transport Canada/RIV recently updated its rules regarding admissability of 2008MY Porsches from bascially "inadmissible" to admissible with bumper modifications, (see below) and tether anchors for cabs. Has anyone imported a 2008 997 coupe and had the bumper mods done? If so what was the cost for parts and labour?

'2008 BUMPERS: All passenger car U.S.
models (Boxster, Cayman, 911 varients) do
not comply with CMVSS 215 (bumpers).In
order for these vehicles to be brought into
compliance with CMVSS 215, the two impact
pipes (part # 996 505 019 01) and their mating
two desk pad impact absorbers (part # 996
505 775 00) that support the rear bumper have
to be replaced with the Canadian specification
impact absorbers (part # 996 505 015 01) and
desk pad impact absorbers (part # 996 505
775 01).
2008 TETHER ANCHORAGES: All 911
Cabriolet models are equipped with tether
anchorages to accept the tether belt. However,
the anchorage is covered by a carpet and thus
not visible. The carpet will have to be cut away
to reach the anchorage. The covering also
does not have the required new labels.'

Old 02-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
wonder whats the Cost of these MODS

Old 02-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Maddog78 is infamous around these parts
Better than inadmissible I guess but still a pain in the ***.
I wouldn't expect a great price from MCL in Vancouver considering they want $1000 to do the DRL's and I got it done at the dealer in Bellingham, WA for $187.50
US dealer's should be able to get those part numbers.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:46 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Maddog78
Better than inadmissible I guess but still a pain in the ***.
I wouldn't expect a great price from MCL in Vancouver considering they want $1000 to do the DRL's and I got it done at the dealer in Bellingham, WA for $187.50
US dealer's should be able to get those part numbers.
Transport Canada doesn't verify if the original bumpers and other spec's meet Canadian requirements, they only tell the manufactures what standards should be met. The manufacturer, in this case Porsche, and specifially PCNA says the bumpers don't meet the standards. What has changed from 2005 - 2007 models? I am betting nothing, it is only an attempt to support Canadian dealers and stem the flow of US cars north. Saying that, you will not win an arguement with RIV or PCNA so you have to spend big dollars to get them to spec. I heard from my car dealer that a 2007 Audi RS4 cost $7000 to convert to the required spec's.

As for DRL's, if the car is equipped with sport chrono, then you can turn the DRL's on via the PCM. I have mine set up that way and can turn them off and on at any time as long as the car is not moving.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
MCL would not be my first choice for RIV mandated mods, when I imported by 4S last year they wanted $1,000 for what Barrier Porsche in Seattle did for free (all PCM edits). That being said MCL has been excellent with service requests unlike some of the stories I have heard about P-Car dealers forcing US car service/warranty claims to the back of the line, MCL doesn't discriminate.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:17 PM
My car has Sport Chrono but when you went to that section of the screen you could see the DRL option but it was not "lit up"
You couldn't access it. They had to re-program.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
I hate to say it, but the cynic in me says that it's likely that even though there are different 'part numbers', they're the exact same part, one for the US market, one for Canada. With this 'change' the cars don't comply and like NorthVan says, allows PCNA to stem the flow of cars northbound.

This happens all the time with electronics with one manufacturer making the same model with one differing model no so that price protection doesn't kick in.

I don't believe that Porsche suddenly decided to give the US cars 3MPH bumpers which wasn't done on the 06 and 07's........doesn't change the fact that the hoop is now there for us to jump through.

All of which is to say that I agreee 100% with NorthVan.

My $0.02.

Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Transport Canada doesn't verify if the original bumpers and other spec's meet Canadian requirements, they only tell the manufactures what standards should be met. The manufacturer, in this case Porsche, and specifially PCNA says the bumpers don't meet the standards. What has changed from 2005 - 2007 models? I am betting nothing, it is only an attempt to support Canadian dealers and stem the flow of US cars north. Saying that, you will not win an arguement with RIV or PCNA so you have to spend big dollars to get them to spec. I heard from my car dealer that a 2007 Audi RS4 cost $7000 to convert to the required spec's.

As for DRL's, if the car is equipped with sport chrono, then you can turn the DRL's on via the PCM. I have mine set up that way and can turn them off and on at any time as long as the car is not moving.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Yeah, exactly.
I'll probably bring in a 07 and keep it for a while.
After that, who knows?

Old 02-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
Given the whims of the automakers, don't be surprised if you find that the 'change' might become retroactive. I was going to bring in a 99 Ferrari F355. As of March - June of 2007 when I was most actively looking, and I was onside with RIV. Suddenly in July, there was a "June 2007" revision to the RIV list, and lo and behold, Ferrari says that the 1992-2000 cars are ALL INADMISSABLE. I've still got the 'pre June 2007' RIV sheet that shows that I could've brought one in before that. I've got a sneaking suspicion that if Ferrari could've banned cars older than 15 years, they'd have done that too. OMG, I didn't realize I'd become so cyncial.

All I'm saying is that based on that little newsflash, don't be surprised that if the number of US cars imported to Canada continues to rise, we might end up seeing seeing a similar 'change of spec' from PCNA. I'm only saying this again since, given my newly discovered cynicism, I really don't believe there were any *true* changes (beyond a 'part number') in the 06/07 cars from the 08 cars........

Old 02-24-2008, 07:21 PM
It certainly seems most manufacterers are pulling out all the stops to protect the Canadian market.
****ty.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:32 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
It certainly seems most manufacterers are pulling out all the stops to protect the Canadian market.
****ty.
Almost if not all manufacturer's have their North Americian Head Offices in the Us, they are protecting their Canadian dealers, not the market. Ten years ago the North Americian manufacturer's were offering 1 year no buyout leases to Canadian consumers then selling the returned vehicles in the USA. A used vehicle is not covered by US Canadian Auto pact.

Moral of the story, we are controlled by the car manufacturers and their agents. Take advantage of a deal while you can, it won't last forever.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Take advantage of a deal while you can, it won't last forever.

Yeah, good advice.
I'm glad I got this one in already.
$ was 1.036 the day I brought it across so that worked out too.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah, good advice.
I'm glad I got this one in already.
$ was 1.036 the day I brought it across so that worked out too.
Good deal for you, I bought mine when the dollar was at 1.07, got made when it hit 1.10, thought it might keep going up!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:20 AM
crx168 is infamous around these parts
Hi, so does anyone know how much to update a US 997 to the Cdn standards? I'm actively looking for a gt3 rs or if anyone know the MY09 version gt3 rs would be coming out?

I'd prefer to buy one in Canada (Toronto) instead.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:26 PM
crx168 is infamous around these parts
can you guys help me out with the bumper situation for a 997? Based on the RIV list of cars admissable from US to Canada? (http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...list/VAFUS.pdf) Page 14 of 24, does this mean if I import a 2007 997 then it's ok and would not require the rear bumper absorbers modifications??

So basically I only need the DRL to be done? anything else?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Importing 2008MY Porsche