Race City, Calgary

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Fireball is infamous around these parts
Guys - I have bad news. This information was posted here in error and without my permission.

This event is a VIPER CLUB EVENT. It's for paid members of the Viper Club of America only. Only paid members, driving Vipers, will be on the drive and the Dyno day.

However, I have some good news too. You can join us for the track event on the Monday night. It's open to all marques and for drivers from first timers to track veterens. We'll run in 2 run groups - those with little or no track experience and those with lots of track experience. It should be a good time.

There'll be some other all marque track days this summer and I'll post the information in this forum.

BTW,
I was on track all day Sunday in the heat then all day Monday in the icy cold and wet (teaching the Porsche Club School). We had a blast on both days!

Old 05-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Daywalker is infamous around these parts
So... monday? what day and whats the fee/requirments

Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 AM
$325 with an instructor (mandantory if you are new to the track) and $250 without.

We lap from 5:00 to 9:00 in 2 lap groups. The track isn't too busy so there's lots of room and lot's of time to play.

Call Davenport Motorsports to book it 403-274-7271. They take VISA over the phone if you want. Ask for Namala - name dropping is appreciated. Say Greg Phillips hooked you up!

This is our last year to have the track........ Let's enjoy it!

Greg

Old 05-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Well I wanted to go pull on some exotics/vipers down the straight... now that ruins my plans

Old 05-19-2009, 11:58 AM
You can still come to the track day...... If you dare!

Old 05-19-2009, 12:00 PM
You mean the 1/4, or what does track day mean?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Now this doesn't seem to appealing.. $325 to run some vipers/exotics down the straight of the road course. Or $325 for random tracking.. I rather take option one lol.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:12 PM
If you have a mullet, a non functional Camaro in the front yard and drink more than 6 beers a day - 'Track' means a 1/4 mile drag strip.

If you married your cousin, Think Dale Jr. is Christ reincarnated and own a back hoe, 'Track' means an oval.

If you have any car with ABS and or an airbag, know what the square root of 9 is and you shaved at least once in the past 2 weeks, 'Track' means a roadcourse.

In this case - it's a roadcourse. If $325 with a qualified, professional instructor with an evening of track time is too much money for you, then roadcourse stuff will simply be out of your budget.

Remember the $325 buys instructors, insurance (for the organizers and safety crews), expensive track time, corner workers, ambulance and crew on stand by and all the things that cost extra at the track like bathrooms (yes we pay extra for that), brooms (ditto), fire extinguishers (again...) and even trash removal.

Greg

Old 05-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Brooms are like a dollar or two? haha I'm just pulling your leg.

What I was meaning is that I want to have photos/videos running with the guys from this forum and I have already met some of the viper club guys and have a good time that way. In addition to learning the course and improving my driving abilities.

So maybe we could make a "track day" as I think track means the 1/4 mile to 99% of car guys in AB but to the 1% like the zrauto group it would most likly mean the roadcourse. Thus make a track day for the 6speed guys?

Old 05-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm just trying to be funny.....

The track costs have skyrocketed this year. The track is charging for EVERYTHING. Seriously, it's $30 to RENT a broom.

It's crazy.

Greg

Old 05-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Haha that is pretty interesting, anyways, Davenport's track day is on which monday?

How many days in advance do we have to make a deposit for a spot on that day?

(So to the 6speed guys) on a side note, lets set up a day to accomidate everyone on the forum and go as a group?

Old 05-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Daywalker
Haha that is pretty interesting, anyways, Davenport's track day is on which monday?

How many days in advance do we have to make a deposit for a spot on that day?

(So to the 6speed guys) on a side note, lets set up a day to accomidate everyone on the forum and go as a group?
A week in advance is fine. I know the Davenport guys and they're pretty good.

I can make arrangements for a track day if you want? To make it work we need about 25 cars - quite a commitment. What I suggest is that we join up with an existing track day - like a Davenport event or even a Track Techniques event - then there's no minimum. That's whay I'm doing the track portion of the Viper Event with Davenport. If I only get 5 cars - no problem. If I get 20 - no problem. It really makes it easy.

They tried to get a track day in Mission going and they had 15 yes's but then only 5 cheques showed up. Cancelled. I'm avoiding that.

BTW,
I make $0 on this. In this case Davenport takes the risk of loss and the benefit of profit but know this - it's reallly tight. So far they've lost money on every event. They're not complaining - they do this as a service to their customers, but I expect they'd be happier if they didn't lose money. I know I would!

Greg

Old 07-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Well.... I said I'd do it and here it is.

I've booked the track for this Sunday, July 19th. Sorry about the late notice but the track is booked 100% of the season and I can only get in if there's a cancelation - which we've had here.

It'll be open to track veterans and newbies. If you have never been to the track I'll pair you up with a instructor who will work with you most of the day. It's critical that we make the day as safe as possible for everyone - and having someone coach you is the best possible way. If you have lots of track time you'll be fine on your own. Know this though - safety is my highest priority. If you behave like a dumbass I'll just send you home. You can also have confidence that if you're not a dumbass that I'll make sure that there won't be any around you.

So.... Race City Motorsports Park in Calgary. This Sunday, July 19th. On track at 9:00am so be there at about 8:30 for our drivers meeting where we'll explain the rules (e.g. no passing on the corners - straights only) and talk about the day. We'll have 2 run groups. More Experience and Less Experience. The cost for the day is $400 and we'll supply some water and a lunch, probably Subs. Our day ends at 4:00pm. We take an hour for lunch break - we just might drag race during lunch if we can get some guys interested.

If you want to join in please let me know at greg.phillips@shaw.ca

Thanks,

Greg

Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Take Pictures and Videos guys!