Ugh... RMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:42 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Ugh... RMS

So warm weather yesterday, first "spirited" drive since taking her out of storage, and guess what I wake up to this morning: a puddle of oil under the engine.

Ok so I exaggerate.. it's more like a few drips... but for those more experienced with this "quirk":

1. How quickly should I get this addressed? It's the first time the car has ever dripped any oil, and I'd say there is no more than a 30 ml's of it

2. What dealer do you guys recommend to do a warrantied repair? (Pfaff versus Downtown)

3. Should I ask them to do anything else while they're in there? My car is an earlier build-date 997 and I believe I have the older IMS bearing design...

Thanks guys...

Old 04-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
I get mine serviced/warrentied at Pfaff, if you do go there Talk to Jimmy V at service... I have had my RMS done like 6 times and IMS like 2-3 times cant keep count...

Well if you just walk in you car should take like 2-3 days. If you book it in, it should be ready 1-2 days...

They will only Replace what needs to be done, so if your RMS is kaput they wont fix your IMS vice versa, i only had both go at the same time once, otherwise its been ither one... Just had my IMS done last week...

The Tranny comes out to do this, so there is your Chance to throw in a new Clutch Kit for free, just pay for Parts. They have a New Design for both the RMS and IMS that just came out recently

PS: It can be ither the IMS or RMS or Both thats Leaking, you wont know untill they pull it out...

Last edited by Zookie; 04-16-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:27 PM
thx Zookie - wow that's a lot of seal replacements on your car

Just curious, what brand/weight oil are you using?

I'm running the "recommended mobil1 0w40" but according to this thread it sounds as though a heavier weight oil might prevent leaks?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-replaced.html

Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
recommended mobil1 0w40

Yea i am hoping for a New Motor next time i go in for a leak

Old 04-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Have you ever considered switching to heavier weight oil? what are 6speeders using other than mobil 1?

Coming from the import world, Mobil 1 is almost a bad word... it caused a lot of oil consumption in the Nissan/Infiniti VQ motors too

Old 04-23-2009, 05:33 PM
pongobaz is infamous around these parts
I had my IMS and RMS done over 2 years ago and then my tech switched me over to Mobil1 05W50 (on the Porsche approved list)...it's been bone dry for the last 2 years/30,000kms.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by pongobaz
I had my IMS and RMS done over 2 years ago and then my tech switched me over to Mobil1 05W50 (on the Porsche approved list)...it's been bone dry for the last 2 years/30,000kms.
Interesting...

I've heard great things about switching off of Mobil 1 0w40.

After your IMS and RMS seals were replaced, did you still have leaks until you finally went to the 5w50 weight oil?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:07 PM
pongobaz is infamous around these parts
No, it was fine thanks to the newer seals, but my indy tech moved me to 5w50 Mobil 1 six months later.