what's the best way to buy parts from the States?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:10 PM
iorih is infamous around these parts
what's the best way to buy parts from the States?

For the people in Vancouver, do you guys drive down to Seattle or have them shipped to Point Roberts for pickup?

Old 05-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
Depends on how much you're spending and how you're shipping. Heck, I'm in Edmonton and I ship to Pt. Bob all the time.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:59 PM
west coast is infamous around these parts
There are a couple of ways to do this, I use a place in Sumas Wa. called Ship Happens they are right on the main street of Sumas so you can walk or drive across, it costs $4.00 per package, $16.00 if they use a fork lift, you just use their address and your name. I'm sure that there is something similar at other border crossings also.you can use the post office as well, but a lot of shippers won't ship to a P.O. box#

Old 05-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
Cool. Pt. Bob is closer though. TSB Shipping. Same deal as Ship Happens.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm about to ge a set of wheels and PSS10 and have them shipped to Point Roberts. Do I need to pay duty on those? Any idea?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:55 PM
You pay Duty if they're NOT manufactured under NAFTA. You have to pay GST. And PST if you live in BC. You don't pay Duty if they're made in Canada, the US or Mexico. Or if you don't declare it (but be warned that the lady at the Post Office sometimes calls the border to tell them a large package was picked up...........so they'll be waiting for you). Duty is just 6% if it's not NAFTA. Way cheaper to pay it than to risk the wrath that will befall you if you try to sneak across.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:12 AM
how would they know which country the rims and pss10 are made in?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Anyone know if the PSS10s are made in US?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:46 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by iorih
Anyone know if the PSS10s are made in US?
Germany.

We act as our own broker with UPS. If you buy from us we handle all the brokerage, duties, and customs at the time of the sale. So with us everything comes straight to you for one charge. Most convienent.

Give me a call if I can help. I ship into Canada daily.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 05-14-2009, 08:56 AM
west coast is infamous around these parts
It's not really a big deal to bring anything back from the U.S. you don't need a broker, as mentioned before if it's foriegn made you will pay a duty over the taxes it all depends on the border person that you are dealing with, I do this all the time and have had them let me pass with several hundred $ worth of stuff,usually they will let a couple hundred $ go through without duty, depends on their mood at the time, just don't try to slip anything past them or fool them, they are switched on and will check your bill against products on the net,the easier you make it for them the better, have your bills and be nice even if they aren't. you could also get the parts installed in the states if it's practical, there are tire shops in the Bellingham area that are very Canadian friendly.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:20 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
It's up to the border agents to check whether or not the item you're bringing across needs duties paid. They do get lazy at times and just get you to pay the tax.

That being said, it's not worth it to get flagged at the border. Worse case you'll never be allowed in the US again, slightly better case is you will be stopped every single time at the airport and the border and get stripped searched every single time. And you'll have all your US packages opened by customs before it gets to you, etc etc... they can make your life miserable!