Manual Driving Lessons GTA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ekam
You don't downshift when you're stopping because you use the brakes to stop not your tranny.
I would have thought that this was the obvious and correct answer. There is no need for engine braking in non-performance situations.

Originally Posted by Zookie
My Brakes cost more than my Clutch to Replace...
...but he's talking about the *transmission*, not the clutch.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tranquility
...but he's talking about the *transmission*, not the clutch.
yea clutch would be part of the transmission and most likely the first thing to go...

Originally Posted by PbPedis
A clutch change is more expensive than a brake job.
996 C2 Pads, Rotors & Sensors - $800 USD

996 C2 Clutch Kit - $500 USD

Labour cost is about the same for both jobs....

Last edited by Zookie; 06-01-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:14 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
yea clutch would be part of the transmission and most likely the first thing to go...
Sure, I guess, but that's not the only thing to go when one stresses the motor due to engine braking.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tranquility
Sure, I guess, but that's not the only thing to go when one stresses the motor due to engine braking.
trust me clutch would be the first to go, i have been there... still have orginal Brakes 90000km on the car second clutch...

Old 06-02-2009, 02:17 AM
trust me clutch would be the first to go, i have been there... still have orginal Brakes 90000km on the car second clutch...
I believe you; I'm just saying that there are other things besides the clutch at risk if there is overt use of engine braking.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:30 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Umm I think clutch job would have cost more. Most people can DIY on a brake job but not on a new clutch.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 PM
ClayMan has a spectacular aura aboutClayMan has a spectacular aura about
Everyone I've taught I preach that it's always safest to be in gear whenever possible.. I RARELY cruise in neutral to a stop. Just in case you spot someone about to rear-end you or if you need to make an emergency manoeuvre. Only time I'll cruise in neutral is on approach to a long highway offramp with no one around.. I'll carry enough speed to cruise towards the stoplight in the interests of saving a bit of gas and revmatch back in gear once I know whether it's green or red. Depending on the car, I'll brake into 2nd or 3rd gear (never 1st unless in a parking lot or stop sign - even with a proper rev match you can feel the crunch of the syncros hard at work)

I also try to make it a rule to never shift into first or reverse directly from another gear. I.e. I'll slip to neutral, clutch out and back in quickly before slipping into 1st. You can definitely feel that it's a lot easier on the tranny. (Technically this is double-clutching but I try to avoid that term ever since Fast and the Furious..)

Funny thing is I actually downshift smoother than I upshift so I enjoy doing it. I guess my extra wide feet aren't good for nothing.. Makes heel/toe (or more like, the side-to-side pivot for me) easier though it gets cramped in the footwells of some cars

Last edited by ClayMan; 06-05-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:18 PM
toppower is infamous around these parts
Clutching in to stop

From what I understand it is unacceptable to clutch in and glide to a stop.

The first reason is that your engine will be at idle and a hard press on the brake can potentially stall your car.

The second reason is that you will be unprepared to avoid an accident if are required to return to throttle and swerve to avoid and idiot from rear-ending you. The extra 0.5 of a second it cost to get back into gear will be too late.

AL