Manual Driving Lessons GTA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:47 PM
c2gta is infamous around these parts
Manual Driving Lessons GTA

Hi there,

I was taught how to drive manual through shifters.ca by the owner Carlos Tomas. The one thing that Carlos stresses not to do is to try to avoid downshifting when stopping. It's in his F.A.Q.'s section of his website too.

Do you guys ever downshift when approaching a stop sign? If so, who taught you how to do this? I've been reading conflicting views on what to do in various forums.

confused in the Greater Toronto Area,

Last edited by c2gta; 05-27-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
i do it all the time, i taught myself. I try to rev match... Been trying to Heel/Toe while down shifting, still working on that tho... Im guessing he said not to do it, because its probaly more ware on the Clutch, but dude my car sounds sooo good...

PS: Come to Friday Night Meets and show us your Skills...

Last edited by Zookie; 05-28-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:02 PM
2TH PWR is infamous around these parts2TH PWR is infamous around these parts
downshifting is awesome!

Old 05-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
the reason it is not taught is so you won't be in the habit if you are ever on a race track...compression braking is not used on track because of the probability of a missed downshift and subsequent grenading of an expensive engine due to a mechanical over rev...it will also likely throw the car out of control at high speed say, if you went from 5th to 2nd instead of 4th

Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 PM
gekko is infamous around these partsgekko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
the reason it is not taught is so you won't be in the habit if you are ever on a race track...compression braking is not used on track because of the probability of a missed downshift and subsequent grenading of an expensive engine due to a mechanical over rev...it will also likely throw the car out of control at high speed say, if you went from 5th to 2nd instead of 4th
Great response!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:25 PM
moo
moo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
I also learned to drive standard from Shifters too, and this is exactly the reason they gave. We did practice some downshifting just for the fun of it, but he did say that its generally unnecessary in daily traffic (especially tiresome with heavy clutches), and its something that you should only start doing when you've become really comfortable with your car.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
downshifting is awesome!
+1 did you say Awesomeness OMFGWTFBBQ?

Old 05-29-2009, 06:19 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
You don't downshift when you're stopping because you use the brakes to stop not your tranny.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:56 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Old 05-29-2009, 12:55 PM
WOWZERSSS and he is wearing thoese Italian Shoes...

Originally Posted by ekam
You don't downshift when you're stopping because you use the brakes to stop not your tranny.
My Brakes cost more than my Clutch to Replace...

Old 05-29-2009, 02:17 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zookie
WOWZERSSS and he is wearing thoese Italian Shoes...
HAHAHAH!!! yea you wearing the White Pimp shoes tonight?

Old 05-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by PALETTE
HAHAHAH!!! yea you wearing the White Pimp shoes tonight?
nah its going to rain tonite...

Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
c2gta is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Zookie
i do it all the time, i taught myself. I try to rev match... Been trying to Heel/Toe while down shifting, still working on that tho... Im guessing he said not to do it, because its probaly more ware on the Clutch, but dude my car sounds sooo good...

PS: Come to Friday Night Meets and show us your Skills...
Hi Zookie,

I can show off my non-skills at the Friday meets. I still have to mentally pause and think of which gear I should be in when i downshift on the highway.

I've always wanted to taste an authentic gelato and make out with a hot Italian girl. Perhaps i can kill two birds with one stone as the meet is in Woodbridge. i.e. Italy of Ontario.

Good Luck w/ your speeding infraction,

Old 06-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by c2gta
Hi Zookie,

I can show off my non-skills at the Friday meets. I still have to mentally pause and think of which gear I should be in when i downshift on the highway.

I've always wanted to taste an authentic gelato and make out with a hot Italian girl. Perhaps i can kill two birds with one stone as the meet is in Woodbridge. i.e. Italy of Ontario.

Good Luck w/ your speeding infraction,
lol i guess we will see you friday night then.

Thanks

Old 06-01-2009, 09:05 PM
PbPedis is infamous around these parts
The main reason is that in traffic, if you know you're coming to a full stop, there is no reason to put wear & tear on the clutch. A clutch change is more expensive than a brake job. It's a different story if you're slowing down but not coming to a full stop, then you obviously need to downshift. I've seen people coming to a full stop downshift every gear from 4th to 1st, then stop completely. Pointless IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Manual Driving Lessons GTA