Importing a Porsche from US, think again?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:20 AM
me&you has a spectacular aura aboutme&you has a spectacular aura aboutme&you has a spectacular aura about
The formation of Porsche Cars Canada (or whatever they're calling themselves) is the cause of the required inspection.

THE $1,200 INSPECTION ONLY APPLIES TO VEHICLES WITH WARRANTY.

RIV still functions as usual and will accept letters and printouts from US dealers. The US dealers have been 'advised' not to issue recall letters to Canadian dealers importing cars to resell, but if purchasing a car from the US, make the seller provide a recall letter as a part of the deal.

Out of warranty - Get recall letter, send to RIV, get form 1 and 2, get Provincial and Federal inspections, register.

Anyone looking at a car out of warranty (early 997s, 996s, etc) has nothing to worry about. The inspection fee is due to Porsche Cars Canada now having to take responsibility for warranty work once the car is imported. Previously, any warranty work that arose on a US car imported into Canada would be charged back to PCNA. Now, Porsche Canada will have to cover the warranty charges, so it makes sense that they want to inspect the vehicles themselves to ensure condition and cover the warranty. I don't like it, but you can't really blame them. This is the same reason BMW and MB have a similar system.

Edit - I should add, if you don't want warranty on your Porsche (or BMW or MB for that matter), you can easily forgo any inspections or modifications mandated by the manufacturer - RIV doesn't care. If worse comes to worst, you can take the car back to a centre in the US which will still honour the warranty.

Last edited by me&you; 07-21-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
that makes more sense

Old 07-25-2009, 09:23 AM
911A4Mustang is infamous around these parts
thanks for the clarification me&you. never thought of the warranty implications.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:35 PM
beggy is infamous around these parts
I was aware of this new rule but had imported 3 Porsche last week or so(landed here July the 9th), all have been approved by RIV with job management 'no recall' confirmation...also received my form 2 as usual.
neighbor Porsche dealer is freaking out... but I still might have to pay the 1250 instead of the normal 400 for warranty.. I am presently fighting as they are now QC plated. will see and keep you posted.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
i'm made my decision that i want to import a boxster from the states, but i require a warranty. so i have 2 questions
1) does the CPO on an american Porsche work in Canada?
2) is this warranty transferrable without getting this nonsense $1200 inspection?

I'm getting kinda bored of my IS300 and i just bought a house so i totally can't afford anything better than a boxster.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Porsche-Boxster-Certified-Warranty-from-Porsche_W0QQitemZ230357772721QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _Cars_Trucks?hash=item35a264a9b1&_trksid=p4506.c0. m245
Yes of course i'd rather have a 996TT, but i can't afford to own a porsche off warranty. My mortgage eats up all my income!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
I think you'd still have to pay the inspection fee since that's sort of a 'warranty cost' to allow Porsche Canada to afford to service your car.

You'd be surprised how little it costs to maintain a 996TT, especially if you don't go nuts with mods.........get a 996TT cab, and you can haul any little ones you might plan on having with you!!!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:40 AM
SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !
With that price, after taxes, fees and $ conversion, it's better off to buy a CDN spec. Maybe, you can take a look at this one (in the GTA),

http://www.autotrader.ca/result/deta...yID=&r=ontario

Tim

Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Question

its gotta have a warranty. plus its still cheaper to buy that USDM one. i suppose the CDM will have better resale value however.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:09 PM
beggy is infamous around these parts
answer to you question are:

- No CPO are not transferable
- Yes the new fee is 1250 to transfer the basic 4/80, which is irrelevant for you cause this on is out of it.

Why are you attracted to this one.. really high mileage, expensive transport and not cheap.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
I got a local buddy with a newer boxster S which would be more, but wouldn't be much more than that after tax, shipping, duty etc. And it's local, so you could probably get it CPO'd at Norden before you took it if you want......

He was gonna sell it last summer after he went for a ride in my car. New family etc, he's thinking about the back seats. Don't know if he's still into selling it, but if you're interested, let me know and I'll ask him.

EDIT - sorry, it just occurred to me that your definition of "not much more" may be somewhat different than mine Anyway, call or PM me if you want more info about the "Boxster S".

Last edited by Superfly; 07-29-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:32 PM
SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by beggy

- Yes the new fee is 1250 to transfer the basic 4/80, which is irrelevant for you cause this on is out of it.

Why are you attracted to this one.. really high mileage, expensive transport and not cheap.
I was thinking the same thing...

Old 07-29-2009, 07:40 PM
pongobaz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by beggy

Not correct.
1- CPO is fully transferable between private parties or if purchased through a Porsche Centre (US or CDN). Not transferable if it is sold through a broker/importer/used car dealer/etc...
2- The $1,200 inspection & service at a Canadian dealer is necessary to maintain either or both the 4/80 warranty and CPO. So it is relevant if your car still has CPO.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Tuna is infamous around these parts
Boxster 2000/01 Importing Inquries

After reading horror stories on importing a BMW Z3 i'm back to my first pick, a 2000/01 Boxster. I'm looking at next spring for my purchase and am having fun window shopping right now. Winter is long and very cold up here in Canada so I will have lots of time to surf the web and get lots of info. If any one had any difficulties importing one of these please let me know (any unexpected costs other than the basic ones). I see the $1,200 inspection fee will not apply to those years but I've heard of bumper non-compliance issues ... this affect the Boxster? I went to the Porsche site and they REALLY play up the difficulties importing, but I know it's really not that hard. Great message board!

Peace out, Kevin

Old 07-30-2009, 11:12 PM
me&you has a spectacular aura aboutme&you has a spectacular aura aboutme&you has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by pongobaz
Not correct.
1- CPO is fully transferable between private parties or if purchased through a Porsche Centre (US or CDN). Not transferable if it is sold through a broker/importer/used car dealer/etc...
2- The $1,200 inspection & service at a Canadian dealer is necessary to maintain either or both the 4/80 warranty and CPO. So it is relevant if your car still has CPO.
I would've agreed a few months back about your first point, but are you sure about the US CPO transferring now?

The whole reason for the $1,200 'inspection' fee is for the newly formed Porsche CANADA to ensure the condition of the US car and to pad their pockets in case any warranty issues pop up that they would have to cover. I guess there's no reason for them not to cover the CPO after the $1,200 fee has been paid.... Just looking for some clarification.

On a side note (that may or may not be relevant now) - US cars with CPOs are funny things... More often than not, a Canadian Porsche dealer doesn't dig too deep to check if the car has passed through a Canadian dealer/broker etc... I know of several cars locally that have been imported by multiple different dealers that didn't have that point mentioned when it came time for a CPO warranty issue to be covered here. Funny that.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:47 AM
pongobaz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by me&you
I would've agreed a few months back about your first point, but are you sure about the US CPO transferring now?
Yes, if the car meets the transfer requirements and is inspected by a Canadian Porsche dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Importing a Porsche from US, think again?