Importing a Porsche from US, think again?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:49 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
^ can i buy a USDM Porsche that's no longer under warranty, ship it here, and then get it CPO'ed at Norden (or any Canadian porsche dealership)?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 PM
fdss is infamous around these parts
I might sell my 2002 996tt in the fall then. 12k km, never modded

Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 AM
supersurfr is infamous around these parts
Auto Shippers

I have had no proplems in the past. Can anyone recommend a car transport company. Florida-Alberta

Old 09-27-2009, 08:44 AM
pongobaz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by split
^ can i buy a USDM Porsche that's no longer under warranty, ship it here, and then get it CPO'ed at Norden (or any Canadian porsche dealership)?
No. Dealers are only supposed to add the CPO on pre-owned vehicles that they are selling. They cannot add the coverage to an existing customer car if it doesn't change hands through that dealer.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:56 AM
supersurfr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by supersurfr
I have had no proplems in the past. Can anyone recommend a car transport company. Florida-Alberta
Im a newbe whats a CPO. With the reception I got a Norden I would never use them.
I have noticed on the S on the rear deck of the C4S is some times different colors. Does this mean anything

Old 09-27-2009, 09:20 AM
pongobaz is infamous around these parts
CPO = Certified Pre-Owned. It is a 2 year warranty similar to the new car warranty and it is administered by Porsche.
The colour of the "S" has no bearing on the performance of the vehicle; people just paint it for looks.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
Im a newbe whats a CPO. With the reception I got a Norden I would never use them.
I have noticed on the S on the rear deck of the C4S is some times different colors. Does this mean anything
I'll send you some transport names. I'm assuming you want an enclosed carrier. Did you find a car already or are you just preparing for the spring? you should come out to our next meet, get a chance to get to know everyone and help you decide what you're after if you haven't already chosen....

Old 09-27-2009, 02:02 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Glad I found this thread. Thinking of importing a 997tt from the US. The price difference between US and Canada (Pfaff) is huge.
In the grand scheme of things $1200 is not a huge amount considering the savings still but damn it hurts anyway.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:05 PM
jazzman50 is infamous around these parts
OK so here i go i went to see the 911 cab that i want to buy in Pennsylvania today . we agreed on the price should i have the inspection done there or wait until i bring it home and get screwed by the stealer dealer here . I have the VIN number so tommorow i get to call PCNA and beg for my recall letter which from what i gather here wont be easy to get then what ........

Old 11-24-2009, 11:11 PM
rajeshr is infamous around these parts
If you are buying through a non-Porsche dealer or if it is a private sale, make sure that you get an inspection done through a Porsche Dealer. Additionally. at inspection time ask them to print the Recall Clearance records from their database on their dealership letterhead. If buying through a Porsche dealership, make sure the Recall Clearance printout is a condition of sale (i.e. they need to provide it to you with the sale).

Use this printout to get all your paperwork done with RIV. I did the same a couple of weeks back and had no issues at all.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:56 AM
swbatte is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jazzman50
OK so here i go i went to see the 911 cab that i want to buy in Pennsylvania today . we agreed on the price should i have the inspection done there or wait until i bring it home and get screwed by the stealer dealer here . I have the VIN number so tommorow i get to call PCNA and beg for my recall letter which from what i gather here wont be easy to get then what ........
Get the current owner to request the recall letter. They can't refuse them. It's what I did and it was no problem at all. Have the inspection done before the purchase price is agreed on. You don't want to find any surprises. When I had it done, we found the rear tires were nearly done and the RMS needed replacing (which was done under the previous owners warranty etc).

Don't bring it home without knowing what your in for! Good luck!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:26 PM
caymantobe is infamous around these parts
A job management report with a dealer stamp is all that is required from a recall/RIV standpoint.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:05 PM
bambam996 is infamous around these parts
Get the recall letter from your dealer in the US if possible. I hear it is a pain to get it in Canada.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:07 PM
I just imported a car, the RIV was an issue at first. Depends on the year of your car but for me the Day light running lights was an issue till I searched on line & found any eacy cheap way around it.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:08 PM
http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/drl/#1 is an easy way to fix the DRL.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Importing a Porsche from US, think again?