Road Trip from LA => Edmonton AB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 PM
nicegsxr is infamous around these parts
Road Trip from LA => Edmonton AB

I am going to be doing a roadtrip in my 997C2S to Edmonton AB from LA Cali in a few weeks. Anyone got any suggestions on scenic points and etc... as this will be my first road trip ever out of the US. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:30 PM
vv23 has a spectacular aura aboutvv23 has a spectacular aura about
Are you going through the Vancouver side?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:28 PM
I am coming up thru Montana I think as thats the shortest route!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:24 AM
vv23 has a spectacular aura aboutvv23 has a spectacular aura about
stop by banff near calgaryppthats all i can recommend from Alberta side...maybe drumheller.

I remember u from the BMW forums...E39

Old 07-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by vv23
stop by banff near calgaryppthats all i can recommend from Alberta side...maybe drumheller.

I remember u from the BMW forums...E39
Cool! Thanks yeah I loved my E39 528i and M5

Now I am debating if I should take the X5 or the 911

Old 07-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
Take the 911. Once you see the mountain passes, the cliff falloffs, the twisty roads, the wonderful scenery to get once in a lifetime pictures of your car, and the Grand Cascades, the Rockies, all the roads to the little hot springs, just all that good stuff, you'll be SO glad you brought the 911. Too much fun. Unless you're bringing your GF/Wife and need a LOT more luggage space than the P car will accommodate. Mine's learned to pack light cause it's just THAT much fun in the mountains with these cars.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
But don't forget your radar detector. The limit in the national parks is just 90 KM (about 55 mph), and I was booking it, managed to bring it down to a safe 112 (normal speed limit is 110) when the detector went off and thought I was ok, but forgot that the speed limit was just 90, not 110. Oh well, at least he didn't get me at the speed seconds sooner.......

Old 07-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by Superfly
Take the 911. Once you see the mountain passes, the cliff falloffs, the twisty roads, the wonderful scenery to get once in a lifetime pictures of your car, and the Grand Cascades, the Rockies, all the roads to the little hot springs, just all that good stuff, you'll be SO glad you brought the 911. Too much fun. Unless you're bringing your GF/Wife and need a LOT more luggage space than the P car will accommodate. Mine's learned to pack light cause it's just THAT much fun in the mountains with these cars.
Thanks yeah thats what I was thinking haha and yeah I told the wife to pack light!! I guess I will practice taking some pics with my D90 haha! Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:35 AM
fastfreddy is infamous around these parts
Curious why you chose Edmonton? I live in the sf bay area but grew up there!

Old 07-17-2010, 08:59 AM
JT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura about
To be honest you might be better cutting up into BC sooner. Maybe come up the Okanagan Valley with its lakes, wineries etc then onto the TransCanada to hit Lake Louise and Banff on your way into Alberta.
If you do come up through Montana then FOR SURE plan to hit the "Going to the Sun" Road not far outside of Whitefish in a National Park that is consistently ranked as one of the top 10 drives in North America - it is slower (one lane each way) but STUNNING.
For sure take the 911. I drove the 911 I purchased earlier this year from San Diego to Calgary and it was a spectacular trip. Obviously you are familiar with the great coast drives from Cali/Oregon/Washington. Weather this time of year should be perfect the whole way - best of luck.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by fastfreddy
Curious why you chose Edmonton? I live in the sf bay area but grew up there!
My wife's family is in Edmonton so instead of the normal 4 hr plane ride, this time around we opted for the 20+ hr car ride

Old 07-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by JT1198
To be honest you might be better cutting up into BC sooner. Maybe come up the Okanagan Valley with its lakes, wineries etc then onto the TransCanada to hit Lake Louise and Banff on your way into Alberta.
If you do come up through Montana then FOR SURE plan to hit the "Going to the Sun" Road not far outside of Whitefish in a National Park that is consistently ranked as one of the top 10 drives in North America - it is slower (one lane each way) but STUNNING.
For sure take the 911. I drove the 911 I purchased earlier this year from San Diego to Calgary and it was a spectacular trip. Obviously you are familiar with the great coast drives from Cali/Oregon/Washington. Weather this time of year should be perfect the whole way - best of luck.
Thanks for the suggestion on the coastal drive but it might set me back 6 hrs going that route based on google map. Yup taking the 911 for sure -=)

Old 07-17-2010, 08:37 PM
fastfreddy is infamous around these parts
Cool. The drive should be beautiful this time of year!

Originally Posted by nicegsxr
My wife's family is in Edmonton so instead of the normal 4 hr plane ride, this time around we opted for the 20+ hr car ride

Old 07-18-2010, 10:59 AM
JT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura about
You could still cut in from the coast and come up through the Okanagan VALLEY (AIM FOR Osoyoos by the border). Purely by coincidence I just did the drive from Calgary to Penticton BC yesterday and wished I was in my turbo the whole way - it's a really cool drive. Would be really fun for you to budget a day here and go on some winery tours etc (think Napa-like). The drive includes beautiful lakes / twisty roads / tunnels / glaciers / and would allow you drive by Lake Louise and Banff as mentioned on previous post. Highly recommended since you're coming up this way anyway! Just my .02 cents!

Old 07-18-2010, 03:47 PM
The Osoyoos road is a blast, but if you hit ANY traffic, it's S-L-O-W....... but then it's a hoot when you pass and get another 2 minutes of "HOT" time!!! BC interior is generally a lot of fun to drive, but just the traffic during summer holidays. UGH.

But it's still fun. Hey, post up when you're going to be here if you're interested in getting together with the locals here for a meet and greet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Road Trip from LA => Edmonton AB