Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

What will happen if i fill a cayenne with leaded petrol?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Mokeylock is infamous around these parts
What will happen if i fill a cayenne with leaded petrol?

I know most of you wouldn't even want to think about answering this question but i'm curious. What would happen if you fill your cayenne up with leaded petrol? What' the most likely thing and the worse possible thing.

Cheers

Last edited by Mokeylock; 12-03-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
You will destroy the cats, and eventually (after hundreds of gallons) ruin the O2 sensors.

Thats about it.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:41 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I don't think you can force the gas nozzle of an leaded pump down an unleaded neck. They made them smaller so you can't make that mistake. Also didn't Europe and many countries ban the use of leaded fuels? I don't think you can get it anymore.

If you were able to fill it up you would burn out your catalytic converters and render them useless.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
I don't think you can force the gas nozzle of an leaded pump down an unleaded neck. They made them smaller so you can't make that mistake. Also didn't Europe and many countries ban the use of leaded fuels? I don't think you can get it anymore.
Diesel is a different size, leaded is not. And generally most high octane race fuels which can be purchased in a 1 to 5 gallon can, or drum, is leaded.

It's not an uncommon practice to use leaded fuel these days what so ever.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:44 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Vicious
Diesel is a different size, leaded is not. And generally most high octane race fuels which can be purchased in a 1 to 5 gallon can, or drum, is leaded.

It's not an uncommon practice to use leaded fuel these days what so ever.
Pump gas is not leaded nor is the race fuel that you can get at the pumps you put in the Track Cars since they have convertors. The race fuel that many race cars are using is leaded you are correct but it isn't pumped from a regular filler nozzle.

"A fuel deflector and restrictor are disposed in the filler neck of an automobile fuel tank to inhibit filling of the tank with improper fuel. An opening in the restrictor permits insertion of and delivery from a fuel nozzle used with non-leaded fuels, but the restrictor obstructs a larger diameter nozzle used with leaded fuels."

Old 12-08-2007, 09:45 AM
ok thanx for the answers guys... so all i have to worry about is the catalytic converters and the o2 sensor.. nothing major in my eyes. Is there a way round the cat damage? like if i fit a straight through pipe would that work? (no law here to stop me from doing that btw). Also, when the 02 sensor goes, how can i tell? would the car start driving funny or is it a matter of 'check engine' warning light?

Old 12-15-2007, 08:45 AM
You will destroy the cats, and eventually (after hundreds of gallons) ruin the O2 sensors.

Thats about it.
Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the bypass pipe replace the cats? if yes, would a fabspeed bypass pipes sort out the cat problem that i'll have from using leaded petrol?

Old 12-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Mokeylock
Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the bypass pipe replace the cats? if yes, would a fabspeed bypass pipes sort out the cat problem that i'll have from using leaded petrol?

I've never checked but yeah if you use the bypass pipes and they circumvent the cats then problem solved.

When the O2's go, you will likely get a check engine light and it will run very rich. You will know something is up.

That being said it will take a couple hundred gallons of heavy fuel before you even begin to notice an issue.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Isnt there a goodside about leaded fuel..Performance wise? Heard it give the piston/cylinder a coating???? Running better/smoother?

Old 12-03-2009, 03:08 AM
thought i'll mention a lil while ago i noticed a sign on the fuel tank cover stating: leaded / unleaded petrol... I guess no worries then

Old 12-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
Lead was used as a lubricant in the valvetrain, not really needed anymore with hardened valve seats. "lead poisoning" of oxygen sensors tends to make them lazy over time, they dont switch as quickly. Why would you want leaded fuel anyways? there are plenty of high octane non leaded fuels out there.
(edit: didnt notice youre from yemen until after I posted.... not sure about availability of fuels in your country)

Old 12-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Road Runner is infamous around these parts
I thought leaded fuel was only available in China!

Sorry for that, I couldn't help myself!
I do apologize if I offended anyone.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by Porsche917
....(edit: didnt notice youre from yemen until after I posted.... not sure about availability of fuels in your country)
The availability of fuel in Yemen is low... We have oil (and good quality) but most of it is exported (oh... great.... but what do the local people do )

Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 PM
rsa supra is infamous around these parts
I've never checked but yeah if you use the bypass pipes and they circumvent the cats then problem solved.

When the O2's go, you will likely get a check engine light and it will run very rich. You will know something is up.

That being said it will take a couple hundred gallons of heavy fuel before you even begin to notice an issue.
The bypass pipes only replace the secondary cats, so you would still have the primaries to clog up. And I'm sure that you'd kill the O2 sensors quickly and start throwing codes and maybe worse.