Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Considering a Cayenne Turbo.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
hypermotard is infamous around these parts
Considering a Cayenne Turbo.

I am considering a Cayenne Turbo to go along with my 996. I would like to know what to look for when shopping such as problem areas and it there are certain years to avoid. My mechanic told me to stay away from the 04 -05 model, is that true? Thanks in advance since I cannot post a follow up, still awaiting authorization.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:25 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Get a CPO car, make sure all the tsb's are done.. if youre considering an
early car..

Old 01-05-2008, 10:51 PM
clt8981 is infamous around these parts
was cross shopping a Turbo and a Range supercharged... loved the Turbo... I drove 07's of both.. I think im going with the turbo..

Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Banned
Trevor Ely is infamous around these parts
The Turbos are just silly fast, it doesn't even feel right for that much mass to move as quickly as they do.

We've got a near perfect Jarama Beige/Tan '05 Cayenne Turbo, if you're interested. 36k miles, 20" Sport Technos, Navigation, etc.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
agree with alex911 - either new or a CPO'd through a dealer. 05 fwd

Old 01-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Captain Tal is infamous around these parts
I recommend you start with no earlier than 2005. There is NO difference between an 05 and 06 and there was no 07. Earlier models had some problems that were eventually fixed. There are not a lot of options that are too important on a Turbo as they come pretty well loaded. I would recommened the Courtesy Light Package which includes auto-dimming mirrors. Black interior unless you live in a hotter climate or like the lighter colors.

I don't think CPO is all that important. The dealer will make you pay for it, and it could add $2500 to the price. Most of these cars will have original warranty remaining which accrues to you as the buyer.

Insist on a complete reflash of the ECU (there has been a recent fix) and new plugs and coils on anything with more than 30,000 miles. Coils are notoriously bad on this car. I just bought mine with 34k and had to replace all eight coils (cracked) and two plugs were fouled. Don't listen to them if they tell you the car isn't throwing any error codes and doesn't need to be fixed. My car wasn't throwing error codes either and all eight coils were cracked. It will cost about $240 for the coils, $60 in spark plugs and 2.0 hours labor. MAKE them do it at their cost or under warranty once they pull the coils and find them cracked. If not, then you have a fresh set of coils and new plugs. Nice.

Start planning for mods. A new EVO Intake, cat-bypass and exhaust and GIAC Flash of my ECU made a BIG difference. I also indulged with some cool body parts and wheels that made the car come alive. If you have the temptation now, factor it in your budget. That is why I went with a 2005. That 9K I saved over an 06 made a big difference in how my 05 looked and performed.

Good luck and welcome to 6Speed.

Last edited by Captain Tal; 01-06-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:55 PM
PorscheJ is infamous around these parts
Don't forget about the Turbo S....

Old 01-07-2008, 07:58 PM
How about a Black black Turbo S?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:59 PM
2006 turbo S Black Black

Old 01-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Old 01-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Captain Tal
I recommend you start with no earlier than 2005. There is NO difference between an 05 and 06 and there was no 07. Earlier models had some problems that were eventually fixed. There are not a lot of options that are too important on a Turbo as they come pretty well loaded. I would recommened the Courtesy Light Package which includes auto-dimming mirrors. Black interior unless you live in a hotter climate or like the lighter colors.

I don't think CPO is all that important. The dealer will make you pay for it, and it could add $2500 to the price. Most of these cars will have original warranty remaining which accrues to you as the buyer.

Insist on a complete reflash of the ECU (there has been a recent fix) and new plugs and coils on anything with more than 30,000 miles. Coils are notoriously bad on this car. I just bought mine with 34k and had to replace all eight coils (cracked) and two plugs were fouled. Don't listen to them if they tell you the car isn't throwing any error codes and doesn't need to be fixed. My car wasn't throwing error codes either and all eight coils were cracked. It will cost about $240 for the coils, $60 in spark plugs and 2.0 hours labor. MAKE them do it at their cost or under warranty once they pull the coils and find them cracked. If not, then you have a fresh set of coils and new plugs. Nice.

Start planning for mods. A new EVO Intake, cat-bypass and exhaust and GIAC Flash of my ECU made a BIG difference. I also indulged with some cool body parts and wheels that made the car come alive. If you have the temptation now, factor it in your budget. That is why I went with a 2005. That 9K I saved over an 06 made a big difference in how my 05 looked and performed.

Good luck and welcome to 6Speed.
Great post Tom. That will help me out lots also. As USA Turbo "S" cost about the same as a non "S" here in Canada, I was considering importing an "S". IS there any mechanical advantages to an S, or is the added performance all software based and easily replicated with some minor mods, especially a flash?

Thanks, Mike

Old 01-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Vyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura about
CTT S offers only a slightly modified intercooler and bigger brakes mechanically.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Captain Tal is infamous around these parts
In addition to larger intercoolers and brakes up front, there are some exterior touches that set the S apart. Most of the real performance boost could be replicated with a Flash and Exhaust but you will not replicate the benefit of having the perfomance mods come straight from the factory with a warranty to protect. The S is a nice ride for sure. If you can get an S for what you were expecting to pay and don't mind the additional cost, I'd take the S