Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

What do you think of these cheap wheels??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Seattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond repute
What do you think of these cheap wheels??

These seem interesting... what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/22-BLACK-CHROME-PORSCHE-CAYENNE-TOUREG-Q7-WHEELS-RIMS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43960QQihZ004QQite mZ140207090819QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

For the price.. they look pretty good. Kind of like the Rinspeed wheels don't they?

Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2008, 08:12 AM
ACE76 is infamous around these parts
I was looking at those yesterday on Ebay...I think replica wheels are worth buying...having owned very expensive wheels in the past, I can tell you, there is no difference between the real deal and a nice set of replicas....I just purchased Kahn RS-D replicas for $2500 with Scorpion Zero tires....they look and perform excellent....for the amount people spend on genguine wheels, they could buy two sets of nice replicas and go for a different look for half the summer.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:57 AM
lilindienplaya is infamous around these parts
But replicas arent built as good as the real deal my tech at momentum once showed me a 645 with replicas that goot wrecked because the spokes cracked and broke off of the actual outter rim due to hitting a pot hole. so its kind of rique.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:27 AM
atlshaver has a spectacular aura aboutatlshaver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by lilindienplaya
But replicas arent built as good as the real deal my tech at momentum once showed me a 645 with replicas that goot wrecked because the spokes cracked and broke off of the actual outter rim due to hitting a pot hole. so its kind of rique.
I agree - not worth it to me.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:15 PM
mja 996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by atlshaver
I agree - not worth it to me.

+1 ...............................

Old 02-16-2008, 12:51 PM
EnriqueCK is infamous around these parts
How is it that they can break in such a manner? Don't they have to be "approved", which would mean tested, for such occurrances not to happen?

Old 02-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by EnriqueCK
How is it that they can break in such a manner? Don't they have to be "approved", which would mean tested, for such occurrances not to happen?
I would think so...they make the replicas out of the same material as the original...I think it's a load of bull to think they will crack..but that's me.

There are people here that have had replicas for quite some time now and I never read of any complaints.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:39 PM
lilindienplaya is infamous around these parts
dont get me wrong you can have reps that will last forever, but then you can have reps that wonts last a year. The quality of the wheel will vary from diferent companies. With a $130,000 car im not willing to cut a corner on some so important, at 120+ mph if that wheel hit some type of pothole or road debris and cracks your going for a wild ride and possible a bad accident. but thats just my $0.02

Old 02-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Seattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know either.., the argument can go on forever. I'm sure better known brands have the same issue of wheels crackin at 120+ mph on a pot hole... lol.

I bought some replicas before.. guess it just depends.

Pretend these weren't replicas.. What do you think?? They look pretty cool.., and I think on the Cayenne its better to go w/ something more simple on the wheel for some reason. Spokes or other types of wheels don't seem to flow as well in my oppinion. From my eye bleeding research.. the nicest wheels seem to be the simple designs of Rinspeed and the Techart Formulas. These wheels are kind of a cross between the two. Even the khans aren't bad.. but I like a bit thinner 5 spoke.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:21 PM
TCM
TCM is infamous around these parts
In my experience, you get what you pay for. All wheels can crack, but the customer service you recieve on the other end makes a big difference when you need it. I would pay for the proper equipment.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:02 PM
str8edgersx is infamous around these parts
the process of how the wheels are made can make a big difference. I have seen some replica cast wheels that have cracked due to potholes but i have also seen some expensive wheels bend which also has negative side effects.

I was told it is the tires and wheels that keep you on the road and you dont want to go too cheap.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by TCM
In my experience, you get what you pay for. All wheels can crack, but the customer service you recieve on the other end makes a big difference when you need it. I would pay for the proper equipment.
I couldn't agree more...making sure you get proper fitment and that the wheel is made for your particular model (load and weight issues) is the most important thing. Also keep in mind that not all replica wheels are cheap.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:01 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
They look more like Gemballa Wheel made by AT Italia but only available in 18's from TireRack. I think due to some requests from Gemballa not to sell these in the 20's or the 22". They also make them in better offsets and wider size for Gemballa.

http://www.fortewheel.com/pp1.htm

Load weight ratings.

http://www.fortewheel.com/Asphalt.gif

http://www.gemballausa.com/whl_sport.asp

Specs are almost the same except the offsets that Gemballa offers. +41 I would assume for the Rears and +60 for the fronts.

I do not know if these would be considered replica's or design copies. There is a difference. Gemballa didn't design the wheels AT Italia did. Since the AT Italia's are selling for cheaper than Gemballa are we to say that AT Italia are replica's or the Gemballa wheel? I would also venture to say the center caps from gemballa would work on these Forte's wheels as well.

Last edited by ALPINE_997; 02-17-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 AM
angman is infamous around these parts
I think both are good. If you go with replicas just make sure you go with good quality replicas. There are good ones as well as bad ones, just do your research.

As for better customer service after the sale from a high end manufacturer....why would I want/need that service? If I am paying 6-8K for a set of wheels I don't expect to need after sales service from them.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Banned
lac2s is infamous around these parts
I am a true believer of "You get what you paid for", the standard of a replicas cannot be the same as name brand wheel. Wheel business doesn't have FDA or approved test before they are allow to be put out to the market. I wouldn't risk a $100K car and people's life with replicas. If you can't afford the real deal, keep the factory ones, there is nothing wrong with the factory ones, at least they are well built.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What do you think of these cheap wheels??