Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Can I buy a track helmet in New York City?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:48 AM
copasetic222 is infamous around these parts
Can I buy a track helmet in New York City?

I'll be in New York City for a few days before I take the CTTS to the track in late April. I'd love to be able to try a helmet on rather than buy one over the internet. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Hsiang613 is infamous around these parts
y not buying it over internet? it's always better pricing on the net...

maybe u can try to find some bike shop for some track helmet...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm more concerned with fit than price.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:07 AM
ibidu1 is infamous around these parts
Go to any motorcycle shop and try out all the brands and make sure it fits snug on your head and almost squeezing your cheeks.

Then go online and buy it on ebay or any of the online stores.

Best brands are Arai, Shoei, Soumy, but not everyones head shape matches the helmets. For example if you have an oblong face Arai is good for you. if you have a more round face/head shoei is good for it.

Not all helmet sizing is the same, in arai's I wear a medium. For shoei I wear large, and for soumy I am L-XL

Old 04-08-2008, 11:05 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Make sure you get a SA2005 helmet, not a motorcycle one. AX and DE all require SA rated helmets.

For size, you can measure your forehead and see the sizing chart of each brand (they vary). If you are between 2 sizes, get the smaller one.

Not many (if any) retail shops sell SA helmets. They are simply not in high demand. I live near 3 tracks and there isn't a single helmet shop that sells SA. Even helmetcity which is close by only sell online. Everyone will tell you fitting is important and try it in a store. I agree but it's not really possible.

Best onlines places are:

gforceoutlet.com - best value open and close face SA helmets out there. outlet priced from $90 but you have to pay shipping. Still outstanding value on great helmets.

apexperformance.net - wider selection and mention renlist-10 code to get 10%. These guys are great and saved me the need to express ship by sending the helmet directly from factory which is close by. Linda is very professional.

As for which brand, I believe any trusted brand like Pyrotect, Gforce, Bell, Simpson are excellent choices. If you want to spend 3-4x, that's your choice but a lower price helmet will protect your head just fine. Some times the extra money is spent on a more comfort, looks and simply due to "Made in USA or Japan" instead of China. This is similar to any other sport equipment such as shoes or snowboard. Some people must wear Nike, North Face or have their Burton

Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
ibidu1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by djantlive
Make sure you get a SA2005 helmet, not a motorcycle one. AX and DE all require SA rated helmets.

For size, you can measure your forehead and see the sizing chart of each brand (they vary). If you are between 2 sizes, get the smaller one.

Not many (if any) retail shops sell SA helmets. They are simply not in high demand. I live near 3 tracks and there isn't a single helmet shop that sells SA. Even helmetcity which is close by only sell online. Everyone will tell you fitting is important and try it in a store. I agree but it's not really possible.

Best onlines places are:

gforceoutlet.com - best value open and close face SA helmets out there. outlet priced from $90 but you have to pay shipping. Still outstanding value on great helmets.

apexperformance.net - wider selection and mention renlist-10 code to get 10%. These guys are great and saved me the need to express ship by sending the helmet directly from factory which is close by. Linda is very professional.

As for which brand, I believe any trusted brand like Pyrotect, Gforce, Bell, Simpson are excellent choices. If you want to spend 3-4x, that's your choice but a lower price helmet will protect your head just fine. Some times the extra money is spent on a more comfort, looks and simply due to "Made in USA or Japan" instead of China. This is similar to any other sport equipment such as shoes or snowboard. Some people must wear Nike, North Face or have their Burton

What is the difference between a SA2005 helmet and an MC helmet? I have seen a few guys run MC helmets

Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Hsiang613 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by djantlive

Best onlines places are:

y not bike helmet? i thought they still save lives?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the great advice guys!