Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Easiest way to change CTT hood crest?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:55 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Easiest way to change CTT hood crest?

Just picked up a silver hood crest, went outside to change it and noticed that the center grills do not want to come out. Removing grills seems to be the only way to get at the crest nuts.

Are the center grills glued in or does bumper have to come off? Thought I would stop and ask before I broke something.. lol

Old 04-07-2008, 08:30 PM
h2woo is infamous around these parts
i came across this interesting post that spans 3 years. apparently you can access the badge by removing the bumper screws underneath the hood. once this is done you place some spacing objects to cause an opening to put your hand into. i'm probably going to try this when i get some free time. here is the link to the post i found:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2065

Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 AM
EMart is infamous around these parts
I was able to install mine without taking the bumper off. There isn't much room to work with, but it can be done.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:57 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by EMart
I was able to install mine without taking the bumper off. There isn't much room to work with, but it can be done.
Would appreciate it if you would share how, that is the reason I started the thread

The tough part is figuring out what to remove so I can slide in a socket to loosen the back nuts.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:02 PM
nevermind- below is the copy from Renntech. Thanks h2woo for the link and reply.
I'll give it a shot and report back on how it went.

(Itzkirb @ May 26 2004, 08:55 PM)
Ok, so I heard there is a way to install a Silver Hoodcrest w/o removing the bumper. Does anyone know how?
(deepraver - renntech)

YES! I just did this operation successfully and here is how I did it... Sorry I didn't take pictures during... I know.. I suck.

1) Pop the hood and remove all the Torx screws (T25 x 6 I think) along the painted front edge

2) Get 4 pieces of scrap (soft) wood, 2pcs (2"x4" x 1') and 2pcs (1"x4" x 1') they don't need to be exact but this is basically what I used...

I know you're scratching your head, but this worked for me.. I swear.. anyway...

3) The point here is to pull and hold the top of the front cover open wide enough to get your hand in to undo the push down clip screws.. so first put in the the 2x4 pieces on each side about 6" off center, its flexible and it won't hurt it... then gently put the 1x4s in behind the 2x4 and the metal.. goes in easier between the wood and the frame rather than the wood and the cover.... ok so now you should have enough room to get your meaty mitt inside somewhat comfortably... if not.. umm.. I don't know what to tell you.. find a friend with smaller hands..

4) Now you'll need a socket.. small one.. to fit on the back of the clip/nuts.. I say clip nuts because only the very tip of the posts are threaded... they mostly just clip on.. but the key for me anyway to get them off was to spin them counter-clockwise with the socket.. I was able to get a small socket ratchet wrench on the back but had to twist it using the ring, not the handle since there is no room... I don't have an air wrench but that might have made life easier... There is some gunk/glue/some @#*^% on the nuts that helps keep it there so have fun with that too.. I screwed with this for about 45mins before I had the second one off.. the first came off in 2mins... there always has to be a stubborn one..

5) So after you have it off... check your silver crest and you may (like me) find out that it does not have the threads so the clip part of the nuts is going to the holding.. make sure they're in good shape.. to replace the hold-down gunk I used Gorilla Glue.. you can use the waterproof adhesive if your choice I'm sure..

So there you go... saved me a days work taking the apron off... and that, with the clear side markers and the blacked out tail lights on my dark grey metallic '04 TT look badass...

Here are some after photos... (yes, it was getting dark early..)
http://www.DeepRaver.com/Porsche

I hope this helps for those that, like me, where wondering...

Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 PM
TT Turbo 22 is infamous around these parts
Not sure on how to get to the crest, but I was just told this about taking the grills out "Just pull the bumper off and they pull out (via clips and glue). It can be a pain in some spots with the glue, but no biggie!"

Best of luck

TT

Old 04-08-2008, 11:27 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
I had to take my bumper off, the 911 owners are extremely lucky as they just have to open the hood and work their way there.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:33 AM
h2woo is infamous around these parts
well i had some spare time tonight to try this method out. if you have an '08 you are SOL. i pried back the bumper and the nuts have a plastic shield around them. the only thing visible is about 2mm of the posts. looks like i may have to remove the bumper afterall.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Habanero is infamous around these parts
Some little punk stole my crest while I was out of the country. The new bumpers are going on anyway but its still annoying cause chances are it will happen again.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Ok so I just got done installing mine. took some pics and will post them later. Using the method above on my '04, it worked out perfect. It is still a bit of a PITA though, you need to wedge a piece of 2x4 as you pull back on the top of bumper. Then you have enough room to get hand in and turn a ratchet.
The big PITA is pulling the badge off AFTER you get the nuts off. There is a big square of 3M body trim adhesive tape holding it down. Will document the process and post pics later today, it came out really nice!!!!

Right now I am just getting started installing mObridge - I love "car saturdays"

Old 04-14-2008, 01:16 PM
996gt is infamous around these parts
silver hood crest

Where did you pick up your silver hood crest? I need one for my 08 cayenne.
Thanks

Old 04-14-2008, 02:00 PM
EMart is infamous around these parts
Bumperplugs.com ... but I've heard that the '08s are different.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:42 PM
mlc.design is infamous around these parts
Its a PITA ! had mine done when i did my facelift on the Pepper

Old 04-15-2008, 07:02 PM
ok all done this weekend. And yep it was a pain but not bad. The toughest part was loosening the 3M square of adhesive on the back of the OEM badge. That took some doing!!

Pics:

another view of the gap after wedging in the 2x4. not glamorous but it works.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 PM
mlc.design is infamous around these parts
nice write up

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Easiest way to change CTT hood crest?