Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Is it possible to install a simple wired FM modulator?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:44 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Is it possible to install a simple wired FM modulator?

Looking to be able to use the ipod in the Cayenne. Not looking to spend $800 to purchase and have installed one of the denison or similar units.

Will a standard wired fm modulator kit work, or is there something with the MOST system that would prevent that?

Old 04-26-2008, 12:45 PM
h2woo is infamous around these parts
there are lots of fm modulator kits that plug into the cig lighter for portability. the only compromise with an fm modulator kit is sound quality. since you are chanelling in on an open frequency you lose clarity that you would otherwise have with a direct connection.

another alternative to an expensive ipod interface would be to hook up an audio in with a headphone jack.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:48 PM
canberk is infamous around these parts
you can hard wire a wired fm modulator, but is not recommended since I've heard compatibility issues with normal FM antenna of your car.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Yes its simple and works fine, I had a Kenwood music keg for several years prior to the Mobridge. Nothing was routed through the MOST, just tied in between the antenna, only thing I needed was a adapter because the plug was smaller. You just missed a guy selling his Nav TV ipod adapter for $288, I just checked and it sold today. Sorry bro, say hi to the wifey.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kevin M
Yes its simple and works fine, I had a Kenwood music keg for several years prior to the Mobridge. Nothing was routed through the MOST, just tied in between the antenna, only thing I needed was a adapter because the plug was smaller. You just missed a guy selling his Nav TV ipod adapter for $288, I just checked and it sold today. Sorry bro, say hi to the wifey.

Thanks for the info.

Why did you upgrade to the mobridge?

That nav tv would have been a sweet deal.

Do you remember which wired fm modulator you used and where you got the adapter? I'd prefer to just order it all ahead of time and then just schedule the appointment.

I got her the belkin one that plugs into the cig lighter and transmits to the stereo. It blows. From what I understand the FCC has forced all these modulator manufacturers to reduce their output.

She listens to mostly podcasts, so the wired modulator should work fine.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Upgraded to Mobridge for 3 reasons, hard to pass up a group buy, Bluetooth is coming in a month or two, (new Cali law for handsfree starts in July) and I love the ipod in the CLS, I never updated my music on the Keg. Also as many have said the sound difference is incredible with direct MOST connection.

Here is a pic of the adapter end plugs you need. I picked it up at the local Circuit City. On the left is the plugs from the FM modulator, on the right is the correct size needed for plugging into the back of the unit. If your modulator has the small plug made for Euro cars you won't need the adapter.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:38 AM
Xtremeview is infamous around these parts
I just installed mine tonight! Great to throw away my fm wireless. Los Angeles has too many radio stations for the wireless option.

FM wired sounds decent if you get on with decent anti howling ect. Mine only shuts down the fm frequencies between 87.5-88.9 so I can always listen to the radio on the other stations, I do hear a tiny bit of feedback between tracks or while paused on the iPod if my Radio's volume is up high.

Cost me $70 bones with my own install! I put it in the glove box so I can have it charged from the power source below and keep it save with the glove box locked!

I’m happy with this option for the money I saved!

Cheers

Old 03-05-2009, 07:14 PM
porscheaudifam is infamous around these parts
when you do this how do you know where to get the i-Pod sound? is it always the low FM stations?

Old 03-08-2009, 10:31 PM
durangorider is infamous around these parts
I tried a hardwired Fm mod and it was horrible, nothing works like a Mobridge or NAV-TV unit. I have the NAV-TV unit and it sounds great, but the navigating through the menus can be a pain.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by durangorider
I tried a hardwired Fm mod and it was horrible, nothing works like a Mobridge or NAV-TV unit. I have the NAV-TV unit and it sounds great, but the navigating through the menus can be a pain.
I wonder if it was the install or hardware. The hard wired FM mod in our Cayenne works perfectly with the ipod.