Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Newbie, looking for a cayenne to replace my P38 Range Rover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Chris_H is infamous around these parts
Newbie, looking for a cayenne to replace my P38 Range Rover

Hey guys, I am looking at getting a pre owned cayenne to replace my RR. I am curious about the air suspension. Being that I currently have a range rover with air suspension I would like to avoid that in my next vehicle. Was it an option on all? Basically I want an S model w/o air suspension, are they hard to find?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:57 PM
hblocal is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chris_H
Hey guys, I am looking at getting a pre owned cayenne to replace my RR. I am curious about the air suspension. Being that I currently have a range rover with air suspension I would like to avoid that in my next vehicle. Was it an option on all? Basically I want an S model w/o air suspension, are they hard to find?
Just curious as to why you don't want air suspension? Do you want adjustable dampening (comfort, normal, sport) and just not want height adjustable? I think its one of my favorite options.

But to answer your question I don't believe it would be hard to find a S without air suspension.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Long term reliability. The air suspension on the RR has been problematic to say the least. I am sure the Porsche is better, but would still prefer to avoid it.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:54 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Im on the same boat. I have had to change out 3 of the 4 air suspension struts on my RR. Not fun.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:05 AM
cellg8 is infamous around these parts
It's not common on the 'S'...at least not 08 models. If you go to dealer websites, most of the Cayenne S don't come with air suspension.

I have not heard Cayenne owners complain about air suspension. My neighbor has an older model RR and his air suspension also has problems...

Old 05-14-2008, 09:24 PM
canberk is infamous around these parts
a friend of mine has a RR with air susp. and I have a CS with air suspension. I have not seen any problems up to now, can't say the same for my friend though. Range rovers are always causing problems, always...

Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 PM
yeah, it is a love/hate relationship...mostly hate.

I want a vehicle that can tow and is still fun to drive. The Lexus RX fit the bill but is not very fun to drive. I have never driven a Cayenne and am considering the V6 version. It has over 60 hp more then my RR and the RR is adequate...i mean it's a slug but I am not looking to race anyone. I am going to drive the v6 and the S this weekend. Thanks fin advance for the advice and I hope to be a contributing forum member/owner soon

oh one last thing, do you guys think the reliability is better then the VW Toureg?

Old 05-15-2008, 02:02 AM
the brits should just stick to makin them fish n chips.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:17 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Go with the S. When I bought my RR, I was looking at a V6 Cayenne, drove it and it felt way underpowered. (It was an 05), so I went with the Rover.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
There's a reason even FORD dumped the LandRover company to a company in India.
I have had a few of those vehicles, and NEVER again.

WHen you test drive even the cheapest Cayenne available you will be impressed when compared to the RR.

Good luck.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Vyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura about
I have not heard of any strut failures yet on the Cayenne air suspension. I love mine but can undestand your concern as I wouldn't opt for that on a RR as many things about RR's are unreliable from the research that I did before I bought my CTT. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 AM
wilfred is infamous around these parts
I have a 06 S w/o PASM. I wanted one w/o due to the same concern but there are times I wish I do have it. I have the Titantium edition (std 19" wheels) and the ride does get bumpy sometimes. I would imagine if you are towing, you will need it even more so. That said, I have read earlier models had problem with it in freezing weather.

Also, try to find one that has the tow hitch installed already. Getting one afterwards is a PITA and very expensive! Bumper cover has to come off and you need dealer to program something for the lights or brake controller...

Old 05-16-2008, 12:16 AM
wilfred is infamous around these parts
yeah, it is a love/hate relationship...mostly hate.

I want a vehicle that can tow and is still fun to drive. The Lexus RX fit the bill but is not very fun to drive. I have never driven a Cayenne and am considering the V6 version. It has over 60 hp more then my RR and the RR is adequate...i mean it's a slug but I am not looking to race anyone. I am going to drive the v6 and the S this weekend. Thanks fin advance for the advice and I hope to be a contributing forum member/owner soon

oh one last thing, do you guys think the reliability is better then the VW Toureg?
Keep in mind all 08+ Cayennes has increased in HP, especially the V6. I have not driven the 08+ V6 and it is supposed to be much better. But the V6 I drove (06 or earlier) does not have enough juice to tow IMO. It doesnt even have enough for its own weight. Once it gets going its fine...

FYI, the V6 is made by VW, whereas the V8 is all Porsche. Completely different from the V8 found in Touraeg which is audi/vw.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:39 AM
What are you going to be towing? If you're towing a 26ft+ boat then I would start lookin at ford diesels. Otherwise you should be fine.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:51 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
The reliability of this two cars is pretty much the same.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie, looking for a cayenne to replace my P38 Range Rover