Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:16 AM
mudman2 is infamous around these parts
I guess it all down to your definition of sports car handling

Bigger wheels = harder feel, less tirewall compliance, but if you don't drive around corners fast it makes no difference but just looks better.

Any situation benefits from the cayenne handling, lane changes, braking etc

I guess the important thing to ask is how do you define sports car handling ?

Old 07-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Hedge-Hog is infamous around these parts
I got my GTS only a month ago and it replaced an Infiniti FX35. They both "handle" very well for a large vehicle but they have distinct characters that are pros and cons of each car. The biggest thing about the Cayenne, as previously posted and no pun intended, is its size. No one can NOT feel a 500-600 lbs weight increase. I found the FX to be more nimble and it turned in quite sharply (considering we're talking 65 series tires vs 35). One trait the FX had that was disconcerting is it's either on its bump-stop or have bad bump steer. On a constant loaded corner, it's very stable and offers great feedback but you hit an undulation and the car darts left and right. It also has a weird feeling (not linear) turning circle. At speeds where you make smaller change in direction, it's great but in tight navigation, it seems to "run out" of turning radius.

The GTS is very solid and hunkered down. The steering, to me, is very direct...the low prof tires and lowered stance probably plays a major role. As I said, you still feel the massive weight of this car but it seems to creep up to its threshold instead of having it bite you by surprise. Not sure if the C6 is much different than the GTS (I'm sure there is a noticeable one but how noticeable, i dunno).

Anyhoo, both nice cars and the new FX seems to be improved (except for brakes). I'd love for a rag to do a comparo b/w the FX50, GTS, X6, and a Ranger Rover SS. That'd be sweet.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:58 AM
mlc.design is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Hedge-Hog
I got my GTS only a month ago and it replaced an Infiniti FX35. They both "handle" very well for a large vehicle but they have distinct characters that are pros and cons of each car. The biggest thing about the Cayenne, as previously posted and no pun intended, is its size. No one can NOT feel a 500-600 lbs weight increase. I found the FX to be more nimble and it turned in quite sharply (considering we're talking 65 series tires vs 35). One trait the FX had that was disconcerting is it's either on its bump-stop or have bad bump steer. On a constant loaded corner, it's very stable and offers great feedback but you hit an undulation and the car darts left and right. It also has a weird feeling (not linear) turning circle. At speeds where you make smaller change in direction, it's great but in tight navigation, it seems to "run out" of turning radius.

The GTS is very solid and hunkered down. The steering, to me, is very direct...the low prof tires and lowered stance probably plays a major role. As I said, you still feel the massive weight of this car but it seems to creep up to its threshold instead of having it bite you by surprise. Not sure if the C6 is much different than the GTS (I'm sure there is a noticeable one but how noticeable, i dunno).

Anyhoo, both nice cars and the new FX seems to be improved (except for brakes). I'd love for a rag to do a comparo b/w the FX50, GTS, X6, and a Ranger Rover SS. That'd be sweet.
not trying to hijack here but do you like the new FX hedgehog?

Old 07-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Hedge-Hog is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mlc.design
not trying to hijack here but do you like the new FX hedgehog?
I never tried the new one so I can't say. Saw it at the autoshow and it's much better looking in person. Interior is a major step up...I test drove the EX35 prior to the Pepper(TM) and liked everything except for a) too small and b) it's aimed to be more lux than sport. The old 1st gen FX I had was a good sporty SUV but the interior felt dated. However, its handling was great for a DD. And the VQ35 is ideal for this car. When I drove my bud's 350Z, I hated the VQ...all low end torque but runs out of breath @ 4K whereas my M3 keeps going till redline and then some. But in a low revving SUV, it's perfect.

I wanted to try out the new FX50 but the dealer couldn't get one in time before my lease ran out. So instead of waiting, I took the GTS. Not a bad decision, huh?

Old 07-26-2008, 04:28 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Hedge-Hog
When I drove my bud's 350Z, I hated the VQ...all low end torque but runs out of breath @ 4K whereas my M3 keeps going till redline and then some.

On the other hand, one could say that the VQ is awesome because it has so much usable low end torque whereas the M3's motor has none... I think the VQ just has a flatter torque curve so you don't feel the "surge" like you do in the M3's powerband. That's why it doesn't feel too impressive over 4k rpm. The LS6 in my 'late' Cadillac CTS-V felt so smooth in it's torque delivery that you just don't get that sense of speed rushing up on you. I think that old pushrod makes more torque at 2500rpm than the VQ or M3's motor makes at peak. Then again you pay at the pump for that kind of displacement. The CTT I'm driving now feels like a dog until the turbos kick in. That surge makes you feel like you're accelerating faster than you really are. Just playing devil's advocate.

Last edited by SeattleBum; 07-26-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ruzz1
hmmm...so i guess to be abe to see the major difference or worth of the raved handling, is to really whack a corner i.e drive agressively? but how often do one do that? its also dangerous. ( i dont doubt the gts or air suspension wud have better handling, i'm talking about the v6)

anyhow, i dont really drive fast, well more so becos i feel less confident in the cayenne. i'm thinking of putting spacers to widen the stance a bit and put eibach lowering springs. will maintain the 18 inch set wheels due to engine only a v6. would this plan improve my handling??? or shud i just maintain standard and put in 20 inches?

help me guys.

what other SUV's are you comparing too? spouse has a Land Rover and i have driven a number of the Range rover sports; the Tourag all have way more roll etc. those vehicles all need to be carefully placed into the corner to minimize the whole shift of weight.

your problem is simple - get air suspension and it doesn't matter if you have the V6 or the Turbo - it will be amazingly solid in sport.

add PDCC on the V6 and it will not roll - period.

btw - steering feel in the Cayenne also more sporty and informed then in those others. they are all nice, but have a luxury sport vehicle drive rather than a sport vehicle drive.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jace
It is AMAZING. I find myself going around corners, when noone is around like a crazed maniac. There is absolutly NO body roll, and the car goes instantly into the curve with no hesitation or roll. And when noone is around I will also pretend there are cones all over the back streets and see how the car handles going in and out of them. Yes, I will need new tires before I hit 12K, but oh well. The car is amazing.

i used to do that with the Turbo all the time - it really is hard to believe without experiencing yourself.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:02 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruzz1
hmmm...so i guess to be abe to see the major difference or worth of the raved handling, is to really whack a corner i.e drive agressively? but how often do one do that? its also dangerous. ( i dont doubt the gts or air suspension wud have better handling, i'm talking about the v6)

anyhow, i dont really drive fast, well more so becos i feel less confident in the cayenne. i'm thinking of putting spacers to widen the stance a bit and put eibach lowering springs. will maintain the 18 inch set wheels due to engine only a v6. would this plan improve my handling??? or shud i just maintain standard and put in 20 inches?

help me guys.
Eibach will have a very harsh ride.. you should go with H&R springs..
I had no issues with my old cayenne S with Techart springs on stock wheels..

here's my ex cayenne S with lowering spring and stock 18's..
I have no issues running on the twisties with these guys....