Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Questions About Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:03 PM
racer_65 is infamous around these parts
Questions About Brakes

Recently my car has developed an issue where after releasing the brakes from a stop, if the car is rolling at low speed, I'll hear the brake noise. I'm guessing somehow the caliper is not fully releasing.

I took the car to the dealer, and they said the possibilities include needing a brake fluid flush, pad and rotor replacement, or other mechanical issue with the brake system. Obviously, only the last possibility will be covered by warranty. They said a brake fluid flush is required maintenance every 2 years. Pad change is $500; pad + rotor is around $950. Inspection is $160/hr. At this point, I was feeling like if I leave the car there, they're going to work me for quite a bit of money.

I'd like to seek some wisdom from this group:

1. At 21,000 miles, is it possible the car needs new front pads? (Dealer says they've changed some at 10K miles)

2. When changing the front pads, is there any reason the rotors have to be changed?

3.Does everyone here flush their brake fluid every 2 years by the book? (I've never done that with any of the cars I've owned)

Old 08-06-2008, 07:42 AM
mlc.design is infamous around these parts
they most likely need just to be cleaned go to your local auto store and get the Spray brake cleaner for the pads works wonders. I had the same issue on my pepper and the dealer checked and said i have 4mm left on the pads so i just sprayed them down and the squeal noise is gone.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 AM
mattjtaylor50 is infamous around these parts
i am getting a squeal from my peppers brakes at low speeds.
it is really intermittent though.

i am going to try a spray brake cleaner
do you have to take wheels off?

any one else able to fix brake squeak. i dont think my discs/pads are shot yet.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 AM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
This is a great post. I was going to mention my low-speed squeaking to the dealership when I go in next. I'll try the spray cleaner first.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:40 AM
cayenned has a spectacular aura aboutcayenned has a spectacular aura about
Mine squeak at low speed too, ill look into the spray cleaner. I have to change my pads as well. How often do people change their rotors? I'm at 43k miles. Also interested on what people do with the brake fluid 2 year change.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:30 PM
You just spay onto the discs as far as i know no removal of wheel is necessary....i believe the pad just needs to get the cleaner onto it and run the brakes a bit should be all set.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:24 PM
racer_65 is infamous around these parts
Wow! That's awesome. I'll try it tomorrow.

If I don't remove the wheel, there's no chance the fluid will ruin the rubber or wheels, right?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Shouldnt have any effect on that...just read the labels to double check

dont be caught with your pants down haha

Old 08-08-2008, 12:35 PM
cayenned has a spectacular aura aboutcayenned has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cayenned
How often do people change their rotors? I'm at 43k miles. Also interested on what people do with the brake fluid 2 year change.
Anyone? Also, how can you tell the rotors need changing?

Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 PM
The rotors may warp over time you cant really tell without taking them off..obvious ways are if the car "shimmys" when braking

Old 08-09-2008, 07:42 AM
MrPlow is infamous around these parts
My 04 CTT squeaks intermittently as well, although never after releasing the brakes - just at slow stops. We just had our pads checked and know that they are ok, so I wasn't too worried about it. I love the cleaner idea.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Cannoli is infamous around these parts
I recently replaced my rotors and pads. Really easy job except for a special tool (TZN bit) to remove the rear calipers. I changed my brakes at about 42K miles.

Squealing occurs when the pads are in slight contact with the rotors. Most car manufacturers recommend that a brake pad paste is applied to the backside of the pads (between the brake pad and the caliper piston). This paste dampens the vibration (squeal) when the piston is not applying much force. Porsche does NOT recommend applying a paste to the brake pads of the Cayenne. Hmmm.

You'll notice large metallic rods at the ends of the pads. This extra weight helps dampen the vibration/squeal effect. Before you go "hog wild" on change your pads, give them a nice spray wash with water. You'll see quite a bit of brake dust being washed away. Brake squealing is commonly known as resonance. Change the mass, rotation speed, or force, the resonance (natural frequency) will shift to another point (rotor rotation / piston force). While you are doing this, do inspect the rotors for any gouging/scoring on the braking surface. New brake pads have a thickness between 1/2" to 3/8". The brake pads will tell you when they need to be replaced - that's why there are pads sensors installed. When the pad gets to a specified thickness (~1/4") the sensor wire shorts to the rotor (completing the electrical circuit) and the "idiot" light on the dash board with light up.

If you need to change your brakes pads or rotors, there are several threads here and on Renntech.org that shows how to, step-by-step.

Give the brakes a good hosing ... report back.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Cannoli; 08-09-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:05 PM
wilfred is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by racer_65
Recently my car has developed an issue where after releasing the brakes from a stop, if the car is rolling at low speed, I'll hear the brake noise. I'm guessing somehow the caliper is not fully releasing.

I took the car to the dealer, and they said the possibilities include needing a brake fluid flush, pad and rotor replacement, or other mechanical issue with the brake system. Obviously, only the last possibility will be covered by warranty. They said a brake fluid flush is required maintenance every 2 years. Pad change is $500; pad + rotor is around $950. Inspection is $160/hr. At this point, I was feeling like if I leave the car there, they're going to work me for quite a bit of money.

I'd like to seek some wisdom from this group:

1. At 21,000 miles, is it possible the car needs new front pads? (Dealer says they've changed some at 10K miles)

2. When changing the front pads, is there any reason the rotors have to be changed?

3.Does everyone here flush their brake fluid every 2 years by the book? (I've never done that with any of the cars I've owned)
1. Yes, it is and that seems to be a very common wear mark for many owners for brakes and tires. Cayenne is known for eating up brakes & tires due to its weight and high performance nature. Other factors include type of driving you do - stop & go? Mountain driving? And most people won't admit it but a lot of drivers ride on their brakes.

2. Seems to be the common practice among dealers. I am sure not if Porsche does not recommend resurfacing the rotors or do these rotors tend to wear out as fast as the pads. I have read some that only changed the pads without problem.

3. I would only because if something goes wrong with the brake system during warranty period (ie master cylinder or ABS pump), they have nothing to blame it on. It's only $100-$150 by the dealer and probably only $20-$30 if you DIY. I would imagine a master cylinder or ABS pump would cost thousands to replace.

Going back to your original question, my first guess is your pads are running thin if it is a clicking noise from what you are describing. But if it is a squealing noise, I would rinse it real good with water like Cannoli has said above. Everytime I wash my car, a lot of brake dust comes out.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:31 PM
04CTT is infamous around these parts
If the rotors are not warped there is no reason to them because taking any metal off the rotor will only allow the rotor to become more prone to warping.