Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

cig. lighter outlet/outlet under glove box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
cig. lighter outlet/outlet under glove box

So, I plugged my V1 into both these outlets, and even after I got out of the car and armed it, the V1, still showed power and was on.

Does this eventually shut off or will this cause battery drain?
I armed it and waited for 5 minutes and it was still on, in both spots.

???

Old 09-23-2008, 01:58 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Those outlets are powered all the time, you need to hardwire your V1, its farily simple, run the power line down to the drivers side fuse box, I don't recall the fuse number but there is a empty slot that is powered when the car is started.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:25 AM
canberk is infamous around these parts
i had mine hardwired. The guys at the dealership done a great job. Whenever I start my car, V1 turns on, when I stop the engine, V1 turns off.

They charged half hour of labor, which is 55 bucks... + misc. material (dunno what it is) 7 bucks.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
I use the outlet underneath glove box, just have to remember to turn off the V1 when leaving the car, and I saved myself 55 bucks...

Old 09-23-2008, 03:31 PM
well 55 bucks is not because I used to forget to unplug it, it's to save the look of the car with no wires from the glove box to windshield..

Old 09-25-2008, 12:43 AM
christx997 is infamous around these parts

Old 09-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Cannoli is infamous around these parts
In my HUMBLE opinion, Porsche missed the boat on the auxiliary power outlets - up front and rear. They should be switched. My Mercedes has the auxiliary power (cigarette lighter) port switched to the accessory switch of the ignition. Not Rocket Science by any means.

Yes, we can turn off what ever we plug into the power ports, but we shouldn't have to.

I don't consider this over-engineered, but just an incorrect operating requirement, probably some Fool in Marketing said that "Vee must have disth feature, Ya!"

Old 09-27-2008, 05:44 AM
aaronliu is infamous around these parts
my local car audio shop did this for me, FREE.
It's 5 minutes job. hide all the wires, cut the power cord and attached into one of the fuse......done.

Attached Images   
Old 09-27-2008, 11:26 AM
looks like you hardwired the detector to least reasonable location, where it will work with 5% efficiency..!!

Old 09-27-2008, 05:42 PM
aaronliu is infamous around these parts
The radar detector I am using, works totally differnet than the one sold in U.S.
It has 2 receiver, one is GPS(to detector photo radar), the other is the radar band receiver(to detect rest of the radar bands, such as K, KA, KU, Laser...) which installed in the front bumper griller.
So, it doesn't matter where the "unit" installed. as long as the GPS and radar band sensor installed in the correctly location, then this unit works 100% efficiency.
By the way, I am in Taiwan.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:10 PM
then you are still vulnerable to threats from behind..

Old 10-30-2008, 12:30 PM
pct2005 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by canberk
then you are still vulnerable to threats from behind..

aren't we all?

Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
wow, south county must be rough.... literally.

ha.

since then, I harwired the V1, and installed tha laser interceptor front and rear.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 PM
mpatrizio is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cannoli
In my HUMBLE opinion, Porsche missed the boat on the auxiliary power outlets - up front and rear. They should be switched. My Mercedes has the auxiliary power (cigarette lighter) port switched to the accessory switch of the ignition. Not Rocket Science by any means.

Yes, we can turn off what ever we plug into the power ports, but we shouldn't have to.

I don't consider this over-engineered, but just an incorrect operating requirement, probably some Fool in Marketing said that "Vee must have disth feature, Ya!"
I actually totally disagree. I love having power to those ports always on, and when a car doesn't have it it's almost a deal breaker for me. It's actually the reason why I eliminated the MB GL320 CDI.

I'm on the road a lot, and I don't always have the ability to charge my cell phone. I'll leave the phone in the car charging while I attend a meeting.

Also, when a hurricane knocks power out for an extended time, this power outlet is often the only source of electricity for folks without a generator. Leaving the car running in the driveway with the keys in it, for obvious reasons is not an option. Many people in coastal states have a power inverter plugged into the outlet, with an extension cord that runs into their garage to power some small device. You then run out and start the car every couple of hours to be sure that it's not drawing too much power.

So my humble on this is, switch the device off yourself there's infinately more uses for an always on power source. Leaving it always on, allows for more flexibility for more people, plus it would be a mission for anyone to switch the outlet from accessory to always on.

Just how I see it...

Old 08-01-2012, 09:32 AM
fullmetaljacket is infamous around these parts
Hi guys sorry to resurrect an old thread but which fuse number of which fusebox do I tap and piggyback on to have 12v power that is turns off when ignition is off? TIA!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: cig. lighter outlet/outlet under glove box