Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

08' GTS - murdered out 18's for winter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:38 PM
skier is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up 08' GTS - murdered out 18's for winter

So while most people with a GTS are researching lowering modules and whether 24" rims will fit properly, there are a select few that feel the need to use this SUV monster for all conditions during the winter months.

Research on the 18's led to basically zero results. All other Cayenne models give it the green light. It wasn't until a couple fellow members decided to sell their old OEM Cayenne S 18's for a couple of us to take the plunge. Jace put a pair on in Denver, as a waited to pull the trigger on a pair being sold in Palo Alto, CA. The PM replied 'it fits, barely, but it clears'. That's the news I was looking for. Trigger pooled, powder coating reserved, tires ordered (255-55-18 Pirelli Scorpion Runflat Ice & Snow...puts the mind at ease when all we have is that inflatable donut spair), and by chance would have it, the first winter storm of the season dropped our first substantial snow in the Sierra.

Looks way better than I imagined....

Lots of clearance between the caliper on the rear wheel, but the front wheel clears, just barely.

Stoked!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:54 PM
boostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of light
Looks good for a wintes setup. Good job.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
looks really good with all black wheels.

I run the same Pirelli tires in 18" stock turbo II wheels with my CTT in winter.

Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:30 PM
mattjtaylor50 is infamous around these parts
+1 for the black out. looks good!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:40 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
looks good, thanks for sharing

Old 11-05-2008, 11:19 PM
SoCal955 is infamous around these parts
Turned out really good.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Gfunk is infamous around these parts
I rock the 22's through the winter with no problems

Old 11-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Looks really good.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
dude yo ulive in cali -oooh tough winters murdered out

Old 11-06-2008, 09:05 AM
canberk is infamous around these parts
you're in Cali and still preparing your car to tough winter conditions???? what about us live in michigan?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
nice look. Good job

Old 11-06-2008, 11:29 AM
skier is infamous around these parts
Thanks guys...after a couple days on them, the ride is extremely smooth (even in sport suspension), and you can really notice the lesser weight/size after making your first turns. My main objective was to get best winter touring setup as possible. Also, I wanted a pretty large profile but not as large as A/T, to be able to off-road without hesitation. This is the first full winter in the GTS, so I'm excited to see how it handles.

Just so you know where I am coming from, I commute to Tahoe from SF almost once a week. In CA, you MUST have chains OR M+S tires to get through the passes even when there's barely an inch of snow on the ground. Yes, its ridiculous, but with over 30 million people and with storms that can come in and dump FEET of snow in 24hrs, you don't want to be rolling 22's with minimal sidewall when you're car is buried from the overnight snowfall.

dude yo ulive in cali -oooh tough winters murdered out
ORLY?

I am very familiar with the Seattle area, and I know how often it snows at sea level up there, I visit many times a year to hit up Alpental, Stevens, Crystal, Baker, and various backcountry spots when the North Cascade HWY 20 opens in the summer, so what's your point?

you're in Cali and still preparing your car to tough winter conditions???? what about us live in michigan?
Now if my weekend spot includes this area, I'm pretty sure I'm not walking

(Kirkwood, CA - off of HWY 88...a highway that will test any winter driver)

And it looks like Mammoth will be open for top to bottom skiing as of tomorrow, so the season is here!

Last edited by skier; 11-06-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:25 PM
liuxiaoyu is infamous around these parts
nice~~~~

Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
you have to have great wheels even for the winter, and those look really good.

my snows will go on in the next 2 weeks. no skiing up here until late Dec at best.

i might black out mine next year!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:25 PM
canberk is infamous around these parts
wow great pics. If you are going to drive in deep fresh snow, then 18" are really the best choice, otherwise, even 20"s would handle on slight snow and ice...

I have 19"s on my Cayenne S for winter and the vehicle handles snow very very very well, you might have also experienced that. I can drive like there is no snow at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 08' GTS - murdered out 18's for winter