Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Speeding Ticket in NYC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:16 AM
nooksack is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I do not understand how a lawyer can convert a speeding ticket to a parking violation ticket.

Are we saying that our police are stupid when they give out the speeding ticket? and if one is willing to spend some money to hire a lawyer, then the speeding ticket (which is a true factual speed limit violation) can be changed into something else?

Then why do we need the laws anyway if the lawyers can change some factual violations. I just don't understand.

If there are police officers in this forum, do you still feel like doing your job if someone can just hire a lawyer and said that the tickets that you handed out were all garbage...
I was thinking the same thing and if it wasn't for this thread, I would have thought otherwise that a lawyer could make such an impact. If I felt that I was wrongly given a ticket then perhaps I might consider a lawyer, but given the circumstance, I thought I would be better off to fight it myself and if I lose, I hope I might learning something from it.

My insurance went up from $750/yr to $1,000/yr, so hindsight, I should have paid a lawyer or even take the traffic school. My record was clean up to that point with the exception of a no seat belt violation.

What I did learn, from attempting to fight the ticket that many people lost even when I felt they had a convincing case. The only time people won is if it was doubt that the police officer didn't make a good effort to prove that their equipment was inspected to be accurate or if there were circumstance that led to believe that the police office was not in a good position to make the call.

Last edited by nooksack; 12-24-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:41 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Old 12-01-2009, 08:17 AM
onemanclique is infamous around these parts
Hey guys,

So my hearing got postponed twice (once by me and once by the cop). The date is set for next week. Just wanted to reach out to you folks to hear about your experiences/advice.

I actually moved to New Jersey two weeks ago. Assuming I'm found guilty next week.. I was wondering if I give up my NY license and switch over to NJ prior to my hearing, will the 6 pts transfer to my NJ license? I'm assuming that if I switch to NJ after getting the pts then it would definitely transfer.

To postpone the hearing for a second time, you have to go in person and make a request with a valid reason. A co-worker I need to cover for will be out on vacation the week of my hearing so it'll be near impossible for me to take time off to go to court. Do you think is a sufficient reason? I don't want to take time off of work to go in and try to postpone just to be turned down.

Lastly, (thanks for bearing with me).. anybody here have experience with Matisyahu Wolfberg of www.notspeeding.com? I google'd the guy and he does seem to have positive feedback but you can never really know if they're legitimate testimonials/reviews.

Thanks again!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:23 AM
SLP
SLP is infamous around these parts
Well, none of the states in the US are linked in terms of DMV's and points (unless you dont pay a violation in another state). So if you were in NJ speeding , and pleaded guilty, you would not get points on your NY license. The only other place than NY you can get points in Ontario, Canada.

So in that case, I dont think points would transfer over to NJ bc they arent linked.

I would think the only thing that would be affected would be your insurance bc that would stick.

When I got a ticket for speeding i used Jeanne Marie Beckmann at 516-485-4888, she is located in Hempstead NY and http://www.nassautrafficlawyer.com/

Worked out really well for me as i said before!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:40 AM
emturbo has a spectacular aura aboutemturbo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SLP
Well, none of the states in the US are linked in terms of DMV's and points (unless you dont pay a violation in another state). So if you were in NJ speeding , and pleaded guilty, you would not get points on your NY license. The only other place than NY you can get points in Ontario, Canada.
I believe you are mistaken. NJ takes moving violations points from just about everywhere. I've received speeding tickets in PA, NY, and CT, and all of them made their way to my NJ record and insurance company.

I don't know if it's best to transfer your license prior to or after the court date. As much as it pains me to say it, I would contact a lawyer.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 AM
SLP
i apologize, what i meant to say was that no state dmv is linked to NYS point system.

a quick google on nj's point system pointed out the following:
39:5D–4 Moving violation committed out-of-state
2 points

Old 12-01-2009, 09:10 AM
i'm more so worried about my insurance going up. so i guess it'll stick regardless? i was hoping that i could switch to NJ before i'm found guilty and then have my insurance company recognize that i made the change. and then when i'm found guilty since i held a NY license at the time of violation, the 6 pts would hit the ny license and the insurance guys would never know about it. i suppose i'm wishing for too much!

SLP,
when you used Jeanne Marie Beckmann.. was your speeding ticket in NYC and handled by the TVB?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 AM
SLP
Yup, my ticket was on Long Island. And if your history is pretty clear, you might be able to hope for a non moving violation, which means you'll pay the fees but you wont get points or reported to the insurance company. 6 pts is pretty serious! I'd take my chances with the lawyer.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 AM
To my understanding, with the TVB it's all or nothing. Absolutely no reductions, plea bargains, or the like. It's either I'll get hit with the entire 6 and pay all fines or nothing.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:42 AM
SLP
Yeah, mine wasnt TVB as im in nassau county.

Found this site with information regarding TVB cases, and seems as though youre right
http://www.articlesbase.com/law-arti...vb-185933.html

Old 12-01-2009, 06:48 PM
LosAngeles is a glorious beacon of lightLosAngeles is a glorious beacon of lightLosAngeles is a glorious beacon of lightLosAngeles is a glorious beacon of lightLosAngeles is a glorious beacon of light
its a ticket your going to have you insurance probably go up stop being a baby and just take it or just don't speed. go buy a prius!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:33 AM
russnyc is infamous around these parts
Can anyone recommend a NYC traffic lawyer? Was playing with buttons, rolling along behind a taxi while investigating my new cayenne and got a friggen "all traffic must turn left between 7am and 10am except buses" ticket. Only 2 points but I'd like to keep the license clean as I get ready for the inevitable speeding tix now that I have a CTTS! thanks

Old 01-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I could give you the name and number of the guy I used but can't tell you how good he is as my hearing is still pending. PM if you would like the details.