Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Speeding Ticket in NYC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:46 PM
onemanclique is infamous around these parts
Speeding Ticket in NYC

I know this probably isn't the place to raise this issue, but thought I'd reach out to the 6speeder community for some insight.

I recently got a speeding ticket coming back from work (CT) around the Bronx area (I-95). He wrote me up for going 71 in a 50 which is basically 6 points plus approx. $500 in penalty fee.
I'm going to plead not guilty and try my luck in court (hopefully the P/O won't show). But from what I've read online, they say that TVB (the traffic courts for NYC) are different from any other state/district and it is rare that any of the cases get dismissed.
Just wondering if anyone had any experience with it. Or any advice/help.
I don't think I'm going to get a lawyer for this one.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:06 PM
canberk is infamous around these parts
if you don't get a lawyer, you'll regret that in the future, because lawyers know how to handle these cases and it will probably cost you 400bucks, and instead of paying 500 to the court, pay 400 to the lawyer and he/she will convert the ticket to something else, which is cheaper and lower point. Money is not the issue, but I have 9 points on my record now and if i reach 12, they will suspend my license...

Old 12-01-2008, 10:32 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
In Florida .. driving school erases points , New York has a similar program (6 hrs instead of 4 ... etc) . Why not save time , effort, expense .. take the course and erase the points ? I found this .. I hope it helps. Drive Safely . http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c32a.htm

Old 12-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the info yr. Yeah, if I get hit with the full amount of points, 6 hours may not be bad at all to drop it down 4.

canberk, are you in the ny area as well? Do you happen to know any good traffic lawyers you've worked with before?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 AM
akeema is infamous around these parts
My friends and I have used http://notspeeding.com/ , please not that he did not win my case but my ticket was received in Suffolk county. The jurisdiction where I got the ticket does not have plea bargaining. I would say check it out, it could save you the driver assessment fee.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
ALWAYS get a lawyer.

I had a 34 over ticket, that got reduced to a 5 point, (3 for illegal uturn and 2 for break light).

ALWAYS get a lawyer.

mine was $200/hr or something like that, $600 total, but that beat insurance going through the roof, and the actuall 8 point original or whatever it was.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:53 AM
SLP
SLP is infamous around these parts
i agree. get a lawyer!

you could do the defensive driving and reduce it by 4 points, but by then itll be on your insurance record anyhow and your insurance will go through the roof.

i used this lawyer, i forget her name, but the # is 516-485-4888 , she is located in hempstead ny.

she got my speeding ticket reduced to a 2 point violation non moving violation. it was better than the 6 point speeding ticket.

in the past , ive had lawyers turn my lesser speeding tickets into parking violations with no points.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
I do not understand how a lawyer can convert a speeding ticket to a parking violation ticket.

Are we saying that our police are stupid when they give out the speeding ticket? and if one is willing to spend some money to hire a lawyer, then the speeding ticket (which is a true factual speed limit violation) can be changed into something else?

Then why do we need the laws anyway if the lawyers can change some factual violations. I just don't understand.

If there are police officers in this forum, do you still feel like doing your job if someone can just hire a lawyer and said that the tickets that you handed out were all garbage...

Old 12-02-2008, 11:02 AM
SLP
Well, personally I didn't write nor practice the law for a career so I can't offer you deep knowledge on the subject. However, the courts/lawyers by changing the violation arent necessary saying we are innocent from the speeding charge--however, the judge changes the violation that goes down on the record using his/her power to impose a deserving punishment. In my case, I hadn't received a speeding ticket in 6 years, and being the first speeding ticket since that time...it almost seemed extreme to have to endure 6 points on my license, pay the court fees, pay the driver assessment charge in NY which is a fee for I believe 3 years paid each year, and also pay extreme insurance payments. The judge stated that because of my past driving record, he would give me a less severe fine.

I don't think by imposing a less stricter punishment the work of the cops are being negated. They did their job, to pull aside an 'unsafe' driver, ticket the driver, warn the driver, and let him/her go. The driver pays fines either way, if not more by hiring a lawyer, etc--for whatever theyre finally convicted of in court. The in itself is enough to change driving behavior.

I had to pay $250 for my lawyer, pay about $200 in fines, equally around $450...on a road trip that had already costed me about $300 in gas. It definitely keeps me in check. Cops do their job and the affect on behavior is done in either case. Pleading guilty in court and paying the fine doesnt change behavior more than getting a lawyer.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks SLP. I've learned something.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I do not understand how a lawyer can convert a speeding ticket to a parking violation ticket.

Are we saying that our police are stupid when they give out the speeding ticket? and if one is willing to spend some money to hire a lawyer, then the speeding ticket (which is a true factual speed limit violation) can be changed into something else?

Then why do we need the laws anyway if the lawyers can change some factual violations. I just don't understand.

If there are police officers in this forum, do you still feel like doing your job if someone can just hire a lawyer and said that the tickets that you handed out were all garbage...
Happens daily.
SO many factors come into play when a police officer hands out a ticket.
How was the speed measured?
Was the lidar gun recently calibrated and right on?
Is the officer up to date in his training for the lidar he/she is using.

SOOOO many factors, I won't get into it.
But yes, when an officer gives you the ticket, you are signing a piece of paper, NOT stating you are guilty, just signing validating you were given the ticket, then it goes to court.

Alot can come into play at this point...
I realy won't get into it, but in the end if you want the best possible outcome get a lawyer.

You wouldn't buy a house without somone who knew the area/realtor/whomever....., so don't go into court without somone who knows the court systems.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:34 PM
GATORFAN is infamous around these parts
No such thing as a "good lawyer" until you need one!!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 06:38 PM
blastr17 is infamous around these parts
Was it a NYPD highway 1 cop, because they do not bump down tickets for anyone even lawyers.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:26 AM
yeah from what i've heard through the grapevine and reading other peoples experiences online.. the nyc court system is strict as they have to maintain a certain level of revenue via traffic tickets. so because of that a lot of people say don't even bother getting a lawyer since most of the time, you get whatever you were due as well as lawyer fees.
i'm just hoping that i'll catch the PO on a bad day and he won't end up showing up.. (surely the nyc tvb courts would dismiss the ticket then right?)

Thanks for all the info peoples! i'm going to get myself a radar detector for christmas!

btw.. does the laser calibration argument ever work?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:34 AM
SLP
I wouldnt take a chance on the fact that the cop won't show, they will. They almost always do.

On the note about revenue, like I stated before, you're going to pay the fines in the end--no doubt about that. What you want to avoid is the points, because if you do get the points, your insurance will skyrocket, plus if you get 6 or more points, you have to pay the driver assessment fee. So for your 6 point violation, you'll be paying $100/year for 3 years (total $300). [http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/drp.htm]

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

And on a side note, get a valentine 1 radar detector. It saved my *** driving up to boston this weekend when there was an accord trying to race me. We did. However, my v1 picked up a cop and i slammed on my brakes and he flew by the cop

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket in NYC