Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2004 CS transmission kickdown issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:26 PM
DEFILER is infamous around these parts
2004 CS transmission kickdown issue

I've done a search of the Cayenne forum and have found a couple vague references to a similar problem. I purchased an extended warranty when I bought the car used couple years ago.

I have a repeatable issue with the transmission: If I am in 5th gear and slow down for any reason below 30mph and then blip the throttle, the transmission performs a kickdown like it's supposed to; however the transition is very rough and makes a horrible clunk sound making the car shake and hesitate a bit. Does this have anything to do with the TCM? Or do I need a new transmission or rebuild of the tranny? The car has also not been taken in for any of the recalls issued by Porsche so it is something that needs to be done as well.

Will the Porsche dealership honor a third party extended warranty or do I need to find a shop which does?

Appreciate any suggestions

Chris

Old 12-04-2008, 05:27 PM
canberk is infamous around these parts
all the Cayenne owners I talked have this problem, so i believe it's something that we must learn to live with...

Old 12-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Any reason why it's only the 5th -> 4th or 6th -> 4th gear kickdown? Seems odd that every other gear change is smooth as butter.

I just remembered that also everytime I shift to reverse and start rolling, there is a loud "clunk" after moving a couple feet and then again when I shift back to Drive and start rolling the same happens. Could it be the "oil pump housing rotation" recall that might be in effect for the 04? I think that's what it's called will have to research it some.

Anyhow thanks for the answer. It just seems odd to me. It truly feels like the transmission will fall off the car whenever that kickdown occurs.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:26 AM
canberk is infamous around these parts
I have an '08 CS and i suffer from all the things that you say. I brought it in several times but they said nothing's wrong with the car. Try to learn to live with it..

Old 12-05-2008, 01:57 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
i was afraid that there's some thing wrong with the gear !!

Old 12-05-2008, 03:53 AM
mudman2 is infamous around these parts
What you describe can be the result of a failing hydraulic valve on the transmission. The dealer should be able to determine that. The clunk sound is the give away. The dealer will be able to work with the third party warranty.

What you described is not the hesitation problem that we have to deal with.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Thank you mudman, that makes me feel a whole lot better. It was odd to me that it would be normal on a car that some people pay over 100k for.

I will make an appointment with the dealer.

Good day,
Chris

Old 12-08-2008, 01:39 PM
OK Now all of a sudden I have another issue. When in any gear and accelerating, there is now a persistent knocking sound coming from the shaft tunnel as if there is someone stuck in there and knocking to get out. Seriously I am not kidding. Is this the famous drive shaft bearing or a tranny mount broken loose? I will be taking the car to the dealer in a couple of days but I am apprehensive since it's the first time going to a Porsche dealer and I have so many issues now. Trying to make use of the Maxcare warranty I purchased and have a bad feeling they're gonna do everything they can to refuse paying....

Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM
cayenned has a spectacular aura aboutcayenned has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DEFILER
OK Now all of a sudden I have another issue. When in any gear and accelerating, there is now a persistent knocking sound coming from the shaft tunnel as if there is someone stuck in there and knocking to get out. Seriously I am not kidding. Is this the famous drive shaft bearing or a tranny mount broken loose? I will be taking the car to the dealer in a couple of days but I am apprehensive since it's the first time going to a Porsche dealer and I have so many issues now. Trying to make use of the Maxcare warranty I purchased and have a bad feeling they're gonna do everything they can to refuse paying....
That if probably the cardan drive Shaft. It was an issue on 03 and 04 models. Mine was replaced under warranty.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Thank you sir, that's what I was afraid of.