Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

PCM3 Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 PM
O!Richard is infamous around these parts
PCM3 Failure

My PCM3 (Second one) in 2009 GTS (PCM version 1.1) has started to fail for the second time. Symptom is the PCM reboots every ten minutes or so when following NAV route and wipers are set on rain sensing with light rain falling. Also bluetooth disconnects randomly without warning (no wipers for this failure)
Porsche has said they will have a software fix mid to late Jan. I am thinking of pushing a lemon law case.
Opinions would be cheriched
Richard

Old 12-08-2008, 08:37 PM
canberk is infamous around these parts
is there really a connection between wipers and nav?? it doesn't make sense..

Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 PM
JBONDOx is infamous around these parts
I find it hard also.. if it the second time, they should look at the gateway controller, but if the PCM doesn't shut off i doubt it is that... but to have it twice... makes me wonder if it isn't...

Old 12-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
lemon law will not work... this isnt an issue that you would win over at court

Old 12-10-2008, 06:17 PM
jamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud of
Interesting. I only have 500 miles on my 09 GTS and my PCM kept rebooting the other day while driving with the Nav on and Ipod running. I didn't have the wipers on or anything like that. It happened 3 times.

PCM would reboot -> Nav would reload -> PCM would then grab all my ipod songs.

Hasn't happened since, but I am watching it closely.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:27 PM
O!Richard is infamous around these parts
Porsche regional service advisor now involved and will be seeing car next Wed at Porsche of Melbourne. Owner of dealership is being very pro-active on helping me to get this resolved.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:43 PM
jamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud of
I just got my car back form the dealer today as I had a chassis failure. Ended up being a failed air suspension module that needed to be replaced.

I had the dealer look into the PCM rebooting situation and they didn't find anything nor could they replicate the situation.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
porscheboston is infamous around these parts
I just picked up my '09 GTS last week and haven't had any problems as of yet, just over 400 miles right now, but I'll let you know if I experience any similar issues.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 PM
TurboA4udi is infamous around these parts
I may be able to offer some insight to your situation as I am a factory trained Porsche Technician and am always looking for a way to share my love for the P-Car. I have no personally seen any issues with the '09s yet but we have had numerous issues with the Nav drive having a faulty internal temperature sensor which can be read using the PIWIS tester. In some extreme cases the PCM would actually shut off completely and will display a warning mentioning an overheating condition. If you are able to find the route of the problem, I would love to know. Also, which Dealer do you take your car to? Might be a chance I know someone over there!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by TurboA4udi
I may be able to offer some insight to your situation as I am a factory trained Porsche Technician and am always looking for a way to share my love for the P-Car. I have no personally seen any issues with the '09s yet but we have had numerous issues with the Nav drive having a faulty internal temperature sensor which can be read using the PIWIS tester. In some extreme cases the PCM would actually shut off completely and will display a warning mentioning an overheating condition. If you are able to find the route of the problem, I would love to know. Also, which Dealer do you take your car to? Might be a chance I know someone over there!
My dealer is New Country Porsche - Greenwich, CT

Old 12-11-2008, 04:55 PM
JBONDOx is infamous around these parts
Have them remove the CAN wires from the PCM, need a pin removal tool for it, unlike the older PCM,s that had a separate plug these are part of the main plug. Also they can remove the B and C plugs if they are plugged in to the main harness. turn the PCM on physically and turn the wipers on... see if it still happens with and w/o phone connected if you have the BT option

Old 12-13-2008, 10:14 AM
porscheboston is infamous around these parts
Speaking of PCM3, has anyone else noticed that the remaining range for fuel displayed in the PCM versus that of in the dash display significantly different numbers, by around 120 miles. I'm wondering if one of the displays includes the amount of the reserve while the other doesnt?

Old 12-13-2008, 11:57 AM
canberk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by porscheboston
Speaking of PCM3, has anyone else noticed that the remaining range for fuel displayed in the PCM versus that of in the dash display significantly different numbers, by around 120 miles. I'm wondering if one of the displays includes the amount of the reserve while the other doesnt?
it's because they keep track of MPG different, remaining ranges also vary. You can reset both counters seperately, if you reset them at the same time, they'll probably keep staying synced.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:46 AM
mlc.design is infamous around these parts
First off the lemon law will not apply terms of lemon are:
A. Must be in the dealership 3 times without a solution
B. Must be a danger to the driver and/or vehicle
i.e. transmission or engine malfunction etc

As far as the navi could it be a simple software issue? I find it hard to believe they have had that PCM 3 in the works for 3 years i would think the engineers would have checked all possible issues.
Have your tried replicating the issue? Try with the wipers off.

PS. the MPG is different because
The PCM keeps MPG facts as the car is being driven
The cluster MPG facts are average based on total trip / tank fuel

Last edited by mlc.design; 12-14-2008 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:54 AM
mudman2 is infamous around these parts
" i would think the engineers would have checked all possible issues. " with Porsche who sub contract this to Becker at low cost anything is possible

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCM3 Failure