Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Considering upgrading the 20" wheels on my CTT for 22's..How is the ride on 22's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
you might as well stay stock wheels if you're going to do 20s since doing wheels is 99% vanity. 20s do not look large enough.

22s or stay home fellas.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Cannoli is infamous around these parts
I just went from 22" Pirelli Scorpion Zeros to 20" Scorpion Zeros for the following reasons:

If you live in an area with roads similar to California, you'll be driving on/thru rutts and pot-holes. I lost a 22" wheel and tire on the I-5/I-10 merge in downtown L.A. I was going the speed limit when I hit a pot-hole. I slapped on the collapsible spare and limped home.

When I drive through the fantastic mountain and canyon roads of California, I drive hard (as some of my 6speeders will confirm), and I've damaged (now egg-shaped) a brand new 22" wheel and failed another.

All damaged/failed wheels are cast aluminum wheels with no rim lip (flushed center hub). Considering the weight of the Cayenne and speed, each failed wheel split the inner rim - could no longer hold air.

I now have a new set of 20" wheels and with the limited canyon driving I've done on this set up, I'm very pleased.

I will admit, the 22" look better than the 20" wheels, but I can not risk getting stranded far away from home (>150 miles from home) or a major city.

I can not see myself going back to a 22" configuration ... I better just stay home if I do.

My two cents ...

Last edited by Cannoli; 12-22-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Cannoli is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wwjd
when speed over 50 mph, my 22" Techart with scorpion 4 season becoming noise and horrible ride.
on the other hand, i love the look...
I'll bet you a ****tail (drink) that your wheels are out-of-round ... when was the last time you balanced your tires/wheels?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Jeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Cannoli
I just went from 22" Pirelli Scorpion Zeros to 20" Scorpion Zeros for the following reasons:

If you live in an area with roads similar to California, you'll be driving on/thru rutts and pot-holes. I lost a 22" wheel and tire on the I-5/I-10 merge in downtown L.A. I was going the speed limit when I hit a pot-hole. I slapped on the collapsible spare and limped home.

When I drive through the fantastic mountain and canyon roads of California, I drive hard (as some of my 6speeders will confirm), and I've damaged (now egg-shaped) a brand new 22" wheel and failed another.

All damaged/failed wheels are cast aluminum wheels with no rim lip (flushed center hub). Considering the weight of the Cayenne and speed, each failed wheel split the inner rim - could no longer hold air.

I now have a new set of 20" wheels and with the limited canyon driving I've done on this set up, I'm very pleased.

I will admit, the 22" look better than the 20" wheels, but I can not risk getting stranded far away from home (>150 miles from home) or a major city.

I can not see myself going back to a 22" configuration ... I better just stay home if I do.

My two cents ...
Great feedback, Norm.
I couldn't agree with you more. As much as i love the look of 22's, I enjoy taking full advantage of the performance my CTT has to offer and 20's allow me to do that.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:37 AM
wwjd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cannoli
I'll bet you a ****tail (drink) that your wheels are out-of-round ... when was the last time you balanced your tires/wheels?

2 month before....

Old 12-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
We done a lot of 22s for these cars, both here locally and around the US...Honestly, we haven't had many complaints about the ride on these, especially air-supension equipped cars. A lot of buyers of our wheels at the local Texas dealerships are families or older people who are "non-enthusiasts" and again no complaints there either...I guess it just depends on each situation.

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 12-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
to all you rollin on dubs... pu$$ys

Old 12-24-2008, 03:44 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
LOL Ben...

Like what Peter said...There is not enough difference to worry about.

I have a set of these on order and putting on 315/30/22 as well.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:52 PM
EvoRIDESMAG is infamous around these parts
There is definitely a trade off between when you go with bigger wheels and skinnier tires. A friend of mine has 24" Forgiatos on his Cayenne Turbo and I didn't even really notice them on there when I drove it. I'd say go 22s!