Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Powder Coated my 22 in Antera, Plastic Cap Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:43 PM
04CS is infamous around these parts
I have already done it. Read my first post

Old 12-18-2008, 01:59 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 04CS
that was a great response. thank you. im still a bit stressed out on this. any recommendations? should i just sell them lol
Unless you went to Bubba's Backyard Sand-Blasting & Powder-Coating and they sand-blasted the wheels before baking them in a 500°F oven, I wouldn't worry about it.

Regarding the center caps, you have some options. You could try one of the spray can textured finish paints (if you can find a texture and color to match your wheels) but I don't know how durable the finish would be. A decent local painter could probably match the color (and possibly the texture) pretty well.

You can always talk to Antera and see what they say.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:55 PM
///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough
Try using Wurth Black Satin Trim..great for spraying materials that wouldn't normally hold. It is sprayed through an aerosol can and we use it for a lot of various items here at my shop..

Old 12-23-2008, 12:32 PM
nooksack is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 04CS
Just powercoated my 22 in antera rims. Unfortunately the plastic center cap can not be done this way. The guy that did it for me just painted it black. I took it back today as it looked terrible. I know that he cant powder coat it but is there anything else he can do with it. Would love any ideas. Thanks
The center cap can be purchased separately, but the best price I've seen on a set of 4 is around $250...
https://www.parkplacestores.com/Pors...02&us=46023.95

I still need to do more research to make sure that there is no size issues. I currently purchased a set of Toureg rims from a Porsche dealership to rush and install my winter studded tires, since no Porsche rims were available. I opted to take off the center caps and the dealership offered some plain caps but definitely no caps with the Porsche emblems. They made it sound like they can't do it but I didn't hear that it was illegal to put a Porsche emblem cap on a Toureg rim. I think Porsche and Toureg have some similar parts already, so...

Old 12-23-2008, 10:58 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nooksack
The center cap can be purchased separately, but the best price I've seen on a set of 4 is around $250...
https://www.parkplacestores.com/Pors...02&us=46023.95

I still need to do more research to make sure that there is no size issues. I currently purchased a set of Toureg rims from a Porsche dealership to rush and install my winter studded tires, since no Porsche rims were available. I opted to take off the center caps and the dealership offered some plain caps but definitely no caps with the Porsche emblems. They made it sound like they can't do it but I didn't hear that it was illegal to put a Porsche emblem cap on a Toureg rim. I think Porsche and Toureg have some similar parts already, so...
Many of the centers are standard sizes. You might be able to find something that fits your VW wheels. Alternately, you could use the small Porsche crests designed for the steering wheels on your blank wheel centers.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:51 AM
Roller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to behold
Take your problem to a body shop for a professional solution. Any decent shop should be able to "match" the powder coating. It won't be a perfect match, but I think it will suit your needs and I can't think of another solution besides getting metal caps.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:06 AM
01blacks4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mayor 1
Still want to Powder Coat? Calipers gone South

From this image you can see how the PC cakes on the parts, not good at all....

Call "Eli" yourself, he'll answer your questions.

thats not a powder coat problem there you moron, just like anything there is a human application element to powder coating......someone just layed it on WAY to heavy...also it looks like there was ZERO cleaning or prep work done.

yes powder coating of cast wheels is fine
forged wheels is iffy....

Old 12-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned
Mayor 1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 01blacks4
thats not a powder coat problem there you moron, just like anything there is a human application element to powder coating......someone just layed it on WAY to heavy...also it looks like there was ZERO cleaning or prep work done.

Are you serious? Do you feel that you need to resort to name calling here on the open forums? Boy, someone needs to grow up "real-fast"

TALK ABOUT "HUMAN APPLICATION"

Old 12-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Administrator
IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 01blacks4

Name calling will get you a week or two off...life is about choices...make one