Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

is ticking noise normal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 06:14 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to bring this topic back up, but did the dealer ever say which of the two noises were abnormal lovethesport?

My car makes the same noise, a fast tickticktickticktick and a slower tuck.. tuck.. tuck..although the tuck sounded is very faint.

Just wondering if I should bring it in to get checked out... does anyone else's engine or lovethesport's new engine make similar sounds?

Last edited by strife_wy; 03-01-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Just wanted to reply and give a HUGE thank-you to lovethesport who went out of his way to record a 'normal' idle sound for me after getting his replacement engine.

Cheers to an outstanding 6speeder

Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 PM
huskyfan23 is infamous around these parts
I think mine sounds the same, just much more subtle... and I think it always has.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:21 PM
TeckniX is infamous around these parts
Bringing this back up - Looking at some of the cayenne and found one with similar noise - Anyone have the sound clip of a 'normal' cayenne s?

Old 10-11-2011, 12:12 PM
myltz400 is infamous around these parts
I am going over my 06 CS with a fine tooth comb before it goes out of warranty in November.

I found a similar noise to this but very faint like others have posted and would like the link or file of what a normal ide is like.

Mine has always idled a little rough from time to time and more so with the air cond on. It has "newer" coils, but I don't know if its the latest rendition.

My service advisor is kind of an *** so I have can count on some push back from him if I just take it in without any CEL codes.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:45 PM
el_chorizo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TeckniX
Bringing this back up - Looking at some of the cayenne and found one with similar noise - Anyone have the sound clip of a 'normal' cayenne s?
Would like to hear the "normal" as well.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Mr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to behold
The ticking is normal as it is coming from the injectors. The thumping however would be a concern....................

Old 10-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Sorry to keep bumping an old thread but does anyone have a sound file for a "normal" CS?

My dealer thought mine was the water pump (r and r), but it still has a faint knock that I can hear when the engine is up to operating temp.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Mine did make a slight knocking sound when the water pump was about to go out. Once my water pump was replaced, the noise stopped.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:16 AM
p010sp0rt8 is infamous around these parts
Like most have said I find this noise to be faint but present on an 04 CS.
The car has had the ignition coils replaced so I'm fairly certain a slight tick is normal

Old 10-22-2011, 11:42 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
its a noisy motor with the hood up but im thinking its normal on mine. ctt

the video does sound a little moreso than mine though.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 PM
06CayenneS is infamous around these parts
Hello all, I know i'm coming in late to the person that originally posted but I'm doing so in hopes that someone else in the future may benefit. That said; I have also experienced a similliar ticking noise that seemed to be eminating from the top of the 06 Cayenne S' engine. I took it into the dealer today and had one of their tech listen to it for several minuties. Like many in this thread; I thought I was on the cusp of a catastrophic engine issue. At this stage the tech seemed relatively comforatable that it wasn't anything major. More specifically he mentioned the noise sounded akin to either clogged or bad injectors. I then fessed up that I haven't been putting techron in my tank as of late to which he recommended dumping some injector cleaner into the tank and filling up with several tanks of techron before hitting the panic button again. I'll do both and post back with any results.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:22 AM
redlabel is infamous around these parts
Sounds like you all got the same problem as several other V8s on the 955 have got......Not good. I have talked to Porsche directly about this fault, but they take no responsebility outside of warrenty. If you are still under warrenty hurry up and get a new engine!
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...placement.html

Old 01-07-2012, 04:39 PM
I have an update for my 06 CS

Under CPO the first dealership thought it was the water pump and replaced it. This did take a lot of noise away but the thunk sound was still there. This noise was audible with the hood up and sounded just like the clips here and on youtube. I would take a long screw driver and listen to various parts of the engine (like a stethoscope). With that I could tell there was a bad knock sound about 200 times a minute which is about half the ide rpm.

I was a little unhappy with this dealer anyway so I took it to another one about 45 minutes drive away. This was just before my warranty was about to expire and was a competely different experience.

This time the mechanic took time with me and was as concerned as I was about the noise. They had no idea what was causing the thunk but they were detrmined to find out.

Well, after almost a month this was the course it took:

1st they cleaned the engine(thinking it might be carbon buildup), intake, MAF, and cylinders- very little change

2nd they borascoped the cylinders and found no unusual damage

3rd they begain the process to order a factory reman. engine

During this process a pcna mechanic that covers the souteast was around and took a look at my car. He was convinced it was a cam adjuster and they decided to order a mess of parts from Germany.

After a month and a ton of work the top end of my motor the car runs great and is noise free-almost When they called to tell me my car was ready the advisor stated that 90% of the noise was gone and they wanted me to listen for it.

When I picked up my car I could hear no noise at all even with the solid screw driver to my ear. The mechanic said there was still a slight noise there but thought it would never become a problem and to "drive the hell out of it". They even went on record to state that if it does become an issue or get worse they would cover the engine even out of warranty (within reason). I know I can't count on this but it was better than I expected

So, long story short after a water pump, engine cleaning and new cam adjusters my 06 CS is quiet with a little more low end torque and smoother idle. As a side note they found a lot of other things that needed to be replaced that were unrelated to the engine.

Time will tell if it was the correct fix.