Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Turbo vs Turbo S - worth the money extra money?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Vekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really nice
Turbo vs Turbo S - worth the money extra money?

Hi guys,

I wanted to have your opinions on the Turbo vs Turbo S (08-09 models).

Is the Turbo S worth the extra money?

I had a 08 Turbo and I am getting a 09 Turbo S in couple days and I was just wondering if it's gonna be any different.

Other than some minor aesthetic differences (carbon fiber inlays on the engine - that cannot be seen unless you open the hood), is there really that much of a difference in terms of power, performance and overall driving experience?

Also, I had the comfort seats and will now have the sport seats. Any feedback on that?

Thanks ahead of time for your feedback and opinions!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:20 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I drove a Turbo a few months before our Turbo S was delivered so it was not a back-to-back comparison. Not knowing the options on your Turbo, here are the major items that are standard on the Turbo S but not on the Turbo:
  • Power: 50 hp is a 10% bump. Is it noticeable? Yes. Is it really noticeable? No.
  • Handling: If your Turbo does not have Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDDC), you are in for a pleasant surprise. This is probably the most important option you can order.
  • Thicker Steering Wheel: Very nice.
  • 21" Wheels w/ Arch Extensions: I really like the 21" wheels.
Overall, I think you will find it to be a modest, but worthwhile, upgrade.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Vekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really nice
My 08 Turbo had the PDCC and the 21 Sport wheels.

I agreed with or without PDCC makes the whole difference.

My turbo S will have the 21 Sport Plus wheels.

The only reason I sold my Turbo for the Turbo S is the interior: 2 tone in black/havana. Which I think was stupid because I am stuck with rentals 'til the Turbo S is delivered.

Last edited by Vekto911; 01-23-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:14 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Yea, it was dumb but all of my car sales/purchases have been dumb too. The only "smart" car decision would be to buy Toyota Tacoma and drive until it has 250K miles on it. But then you wouldn't be a car guy anymore.

We have the black/havana interior too and it is great. My wife wanted wood trim, and she ordered the dark trim. She doesn't like the dark wood trim so now we are ordering the light wood trim. Of course we paid for both. That was dumb.

Regarding the "value" of the Turbo S, we originally had a Turbo on order. I looked at all of our options and compared them to what comes standard on the Turbo S. Considering Porsche options are worthless at resale, and the price difference between an optioned Turbo and standard Turbo S was fairly small, it just made sense to get the Turbo S. At least that is how I justified it.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
never driven a Turbo S, but knows that it will be faster than my CTT, which is already too fast for me as an SUV.

I have 2 tone black and chestnut brown interior, love it.

I got sport seats, slightly better lateral support than comfort seat, but not comparable to sport seats in 911.

I myself will not upgrade to CTTS as I don't think the difference between the two are worth the money, but I'm happy for all CTTS owners for their awesome SUV.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
never driven a Turbo S, but knows that it will be faster than my CTT, which is already too fast for me as an SUV.

I have 2 tone black and chestnut brown interior, love it.

I got sport seats, slightly better lateral support than comfort seat, but not comparable to sport seats in 911.

I myself will not upgrade to CTTS as I don't think the difference between the two are worth the money, but I'm happy for all CTTS owners for their awesome SUV.
I honestly think Black/Chestnut looks better than Black/Havana.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 AM
I haven't had time for any good photos yet, but I had a set of the 21" SportPlus wheels powder-coated black and installed the Euro side markers.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 AM
mattjtaylor50 is infamous around these parts
those wheels look hot in black!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 AM
I agree with you. Most of it is dumb.

Since I could not custom order a Turbo S due to production cut offs. I had a Porsche dealer locate one for me and luckily there was 1 sitting at the port in NJ (95% close to what I was looking for).

If I had to the choice to custom order it, it would have been this:

- black exterior
- black exterior package
- black/havana interior
- light wood glossy interior trim
- 21 inch sport plus wheels
- Porsche entry & drive
- pano roof
- universal audio
- bluetooth
- 6 cd changer

The 1 that was sitting at the port is:

- black exterior
- black exterior package
- black/havana interior
- carbon fiber trim
- 21 inch sport plus wheels
- pano roof
- bluetooth
- universal audio

No Porsche entry & drive but it's not crucial. It will bond me with the car even more each time I turn on the key. No 6 CD changer, with mp3s, I think I'll be fine. It comes standard with carbon fiber, I might also change it for the light wood. I sat in a Turbo S in 2 tone leather with light wood trim and it was great. I'll see how's the CF trim then I'll decide.

I'll post pics when the Turbo S is delivered.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 AM
It sounds like you got really close to what you wanted and probably saved some money along the way. I have some dark wood that would look great in your Cayenne.

With the iPod connection, I never use CD's anymore.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:16 AM
It is sad but the dark wood looks great with every interior except mine! Photos from eBay:

Old 01-23-2009, 02:14 PM
skier is infamous around these parts
Looking mighty fine with the black rims....

Old 01-23-2009, 03:19 PM
wwjd is infamous around these parts
I can't understand why they put wood in Porsche, it does nothing for a sport car.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wwjd
I can't understand why they put wood in Porsche, it does nothing for a sport car.
what is your point then? wood does nothing in any car anyway.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by hovy82
I think the light wood goes perfectly with the 2 tone black/havana seats BUT not for the steering wheels. The nicest steering wheel, in my opinion, is the 2 tone matching the seats.

I'll post pics of mine next week. I'll have the carbon fiber with these seats (black/havana). We'll see how it looks.

The chestnut seats are also nice but they don't come in sport for 08 models, it does for the 09.

ps: Sparkhill, where did you get all the pictures from? Are there that many Turbo S models for sale on ebay at this moment?
I agree on the steering wheel. I prefer 100% leather wheels.

The carbon fiber will look nice with black/havana. I actually tried to talk my wife into getting aluminum but she wanted no part of that.

I don't remember where I found all of the photos - eBay, cars.com, autotrader, etc. We were trying to figure out just how much we were going to hate the dark wood. The photos make it appear worse than it actually looks in person but was good for comparison. The dark wood has some reddish undertones that look fine with everything except havana.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo vs Turbo S - worth the money extra money?