Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Oil in Boost hose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
FWIW a blown turbo typically makes a LOT of noise when going bad. Not always but they usually start to scream.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:34 AM
PutterMcGavin is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PianoProdigy
How bad was your leak when replaced? Was it affecting your power as I described above? Did they really just replace the seal or the whole turbocharger? When I called Suncoast, they said Porsche doesn't sell rebuild kits for the turbochargers.
Sorry I should have said they changed the seal on the intercooler piping NOT the turbo.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:14 PM
PianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud of
I was quoted ~$1700 in labor to drop engine and replace turbocharger by indy shop. Thoughts?

Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 PM
snzuloz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PianoProdigy
I was quoted ~$1700 in labor to drop engine and replace turbocharger by indy shop. Thoughts?
I wouldn't jump the gun and replace the turbo on speculation, I would remove the intake piping first and check/replace the o-rings they might have been deteriorated by the oil in the system. How has the oil consumption been? not including the normal use of these things. It seems quite normal for them to develop oil in the drivers side, must be the design of the pcv/emissions system.
The turbo can also be checked for play (should have slight up/down movement but no end play should be felt) if you can access this at that time.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:42 PM
PianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by snzuloz
I wouldn't jump the gun and replace the turbo on speculation, I would remove the intake piping first and check/replace the o-rings they might have been deteriorated by the oil in the system. How has the oil consumption been? not including the normal use of these things. It seems quite normal for them to develop oil in the drivers side, must be the design of the pcv/emissions system.
The turbo can also be checked for play (should have slight up/down movement but no end play should be felt) if you can access this at that time.
Yah, I am having the car inspected by another shop that specializes in performance turbocharged cars first.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:11 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
This is very typical on the cayenne as the crankcase ventilation system dumps the liquid oil back into the system just after the drivers side turbocharger. Usually if you want to replace seals to help the leak, you will want to replace the lower boost hose from the turbo to the intercooler, and one other o-ring that is typically left out, the on that goes on the small intermediate pipe immediately coming out of the turbo that the diverter valve hose connects to. It is also not a bad idea to replace the o-ring on the upper boost pipe from the intercooler to the intake y-pipe, or plenum. This one is kind of a PITA so do the lower hose and o-ring first. ALso helps just to have the excess oil drained out of the intercooler.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:11 PM
snzuloz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
This is very typical on the cayenne as the crankcase ventilation system dumps the liquid oil back into the system just after the drivers side turbocharger. Usually if you want to replace seals to help the leak, you will want to replace the lower boost hose from the turbo to the intercooler, and one other o-ring that is typically left out, the on that goes on the small intermediate pipe immediately coming out of the turbo that the diverter valve hose connects to. It is also not a bad idea to replace the o-ring on the upper boost pipe from the intercooler to the intake y-pipe, or plenum. This one is kind of a PITA so do the lower hose and o-ring first. ALso helps just to have the excess oil drained out of the intercooler.
Thanks for the info, has anyone been able to reroute this pcv line so it doesn't draw oil in? Are there any parts diagrams that show the intake plumbing? Would be nice to make something work to stop the oil from getting into the intake and causing issues.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:43 PM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
I'll try to remember to post some stuff tonight. But funny this comes up because putting an oil seprator inline with the PCV hose is something on my "to do" list since the warranty ran out on mine. Moroso makes a nice one, way better than the little filters I see on some cars. Turbo cars need the bigger hoses for the vent, so that's the direction I was going to go unless I can adapt a leftover Crawford Perofmance separator from my old Subaru. I pulled that driver's side hose off and had to drain it as well a while back.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Markenstein3D is infamous around these parts
i had a pre-purchase inspection (or say post, since i bought it already) and the mech mentioned of a minor oil seepage in the driver side turbo.. that worried me since this is my first p-car and first turbo, but the mech suggested this is normal.. comments here in this thread helps a lot in understanding these things.. thanks

Old 12-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Still fighting issues with the car. I'm almost certain the EVO diverter valves are faulty and are leaking a lot of boost under WOT almost all the time. Every once in a while the car will hold boost well, but that is the exception and not the rule. I did have my performance guy fabricate a catch can setup (he recommended as well without my prompting). I just ordered APR R1s to replace the EVO valves.

Has anyone heard of there being a batch of faulty EVO diverter valves floating around?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Piano... I went through similar boost issues with my 2004 CTT. I replaced all of the o-rings on the boost lines and upgraded my diverter valves with the EVO units. Still had boost leak issues. Ended up being the plastic Y-pipe in front of the throttle body, I pressurized the system and once it built up to a high enough level you could see the seam crack open on the pipe. The stock pipe is made up of two plastic halves and it was the seam that was failing... very hard to see until you pressurized the system. It was also intermittent, so I guess the seam had good days and bad days. LOL

Last edited by Reborn996; 12-27-2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Reborn996
Piano... I went through similar boost issues with my 2004 CTT. I replaced all of the o-rings on the boost lines and upgraded my diverter valves with the EVO units. Still had boost leak issues. Ended up being the plastic Y-pipe in front of the throttle body, I pressurized the system and once it built up to a high enough level you could see the seam crack open on the pipe. The stock pipe is made up of two plastic halves and it was the seam that was failing... very hard to see until you pressurized the system. It was also intermittent, so I guess the seam had good days and bad days. LOL
Thanks for the input. I have an RSS plenum, so at least we can rule that out!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Opps, didn't notice that in your signature. Wish I had one of those... would have saved me 2 months and a lot of money chasing boost leaks! LOL

Old 06-16-2014, 07:49 PM
mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !
An old thread, but on topic I found some oil/dust residue along the seam of the intake plenum. I have had intermittent under boost, that has become more prevalent. I am thinking I have a boost leak there?